Builds The '93 Troopy Hodgepodge (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm not the least bit afraid of RHD trucks and I buy exclusively on condition. My 1988 JDM BJ74 has NO rust at all.

I don’t believe you! 😂😂😂😂

Cheers

I don’t believe you! 😂😂😂😂

Cheers

Come see it. :idea:
20200926_182952.jpg
20200926_185538.jpg

The reason I say that is because of the sandwich construction of the 70-series body.

Sure all Cruisers been made this way since what 1980? However, the 70’s didn’t get the quality of rust proofing the 80/100/200 got. Unsealed seams for example. Not to mention the 70-series is the work truck series. They are almost always going to be more rusty than another model in the same conditions/environment.

What’s the old saying? “Cruisers came rusty from the factory.” Or was it “they started rusting on the boats over.”

Cheers

The reason I say that is because of the sandwich construction of the 70-series body.

Sure all Cruisers been made this way since what 1980? However, the 70’s didn’t get the quality of rust proofing the 80/100/200 got. Unsealed seams for example. Not to mention the 70-series is the work truck series. They are almost always going to be more rusty than another model in the same conditions/environment.

What’s the old saying? “Cruisers came rusty from the factory.” Or was it “they started rusting on the boats over.”

Cheers

You are absolutely correct RE construction and sealing processes in place during that timeframe. On the other hand there are still some dry trucks out there. As depicted above. :cool:

There are, on that we agree.

Few and far between though and JDM doesn’t mean rust free by any means.

Cheers

Agreed. However this one comes damn close. Ask Beno ;)

Agreed. However this one comes damn close. Ask Beno ;)

Ya ya, I bet ya if we cut it apart we could find some corrosion, even if just little!

It is between the layers, just like on frames. Anything that is sandwiched is going to have it.

They didn’t dip bodies did they? I don’t think they did, but I don’t know. Even dipping won’t stop it but it helps.

The floor crossmembers are very obviously hollow. They are open to the elements on most 70’s from the bottom (missing drain plugs, ect) so dust will just accumulate in them over time. Add moisture, you got rust.

Washing them (and all hollow panels) out regularly is good PM and simply taking care of your Cruiser. Keeping them coated with Fluidfilm or whatever is too. Toyota did design these trucks in this way, to be cleaned in these hollow areas. Just nobody every does it, especially on a “work truck”.

Cheers

Ya ya, I bet ya if we cut it apart we could find some corrosion, even if just little!

It is between the layers, just like on frames. Anything that is sandwiched is going to have it.

They didn’t dip bodies did they? I don’t think they did, but I don’t know. Even dipping won’t stop it but it helps.

The floor crossmembers are very obviously hollow. They are open to the elements on most 70’s from the bottom (missing drain plugs, ect) so dust will just accumulate in them over time. Add moisture, you got rust.

Washing them (and all hollow panels) out regularly is good PM and simply taking care of your Cruiser. Keeping them coated with Fluidfilm or whatever is too. Toyota did design these trucks in this way, to be cleaned in these hollow areas. Just nobody every does it, especially on a “work truck”.

Cheers

Don't get me wrong. I sincerely appreciate the intensity of the repairs you have undertaken in this build. I'm simply stating that with the global number of candidates out there, you are working way harder than you could be. It's not like this is one of the six or so BJTs left on the globe. :)

Fix the rust on this one.....
BJT53 GREEN web ready014.jpg

Oh and hey, I feel good about the project.

It has been a massive undertaking but with the rear floor getting fitted, we are really far along with the body. I can see light at the end of the tunnel now and it is exciting to envision this project in its next phases. Notice I said “phases”, it will probably be finished by Tony with all the interior goodies so there is more than a couple more phase or stages before it’s done.

Setting this body down on the chassis for the last time is going to be one monumental day. 😎

Cheers

Don't get me wrong. I sincerely appreciate the intensity of the repairs you have undertaken in this build. I'm simply stating that with the global number of candidates out there, you are working way harder than you could be. It's not like this is one of the six or so BJTs left on the globe. :)

Yup and that was kind of hashed out earlier in the thread.

Tony wanted a LHD Troopy, he contacted me, I showed him this one with all the pics and video I had of it. We knew it was rough, he got it at cost plus a finders/handling fee. He did recoup a fair amount on the actual landed, imported and titled truck making the end cost of the Troopy here ready to start the build pretty fair. He did decide to got over the top from the start with the 80-chassis, V8, 6spd, poptop, ect ect. So it is what it is, I do feel privileged he is working with me to build it. I wish we had found a better one but like I say it is what it is.

Cheers

Yup. To quote our Turk, "It is what it is."

On the other hand there are still some dry trucks out there. As depicted above.

And here:
IMG_7871.JPG

Ask the people who've seen it. Dry. Garage kept since new. But I understand I got lucky, most of them aren't like that. In several years of looking, I've never seen another one as clean. LHD, anyway.

I asked earlier in the thread, but have you reconsidered dipping this to preserve all the work you've done? Might be a good idea.

Don't get me wrong. I sincerely appreciate the intensity of the repairs you have undertaken in this build.

This, for sure. Your talent and determination are admirable.

Fix the rust on this one.....

God, NO! Don't change a thing! That's beautiful.

Exactly. My point was if you are going to spend this kind of energy, you should spend it on something historically significant.

Fix the rust on this one.....View attachment 2476628

Come on Dan, you run the Cruiser museum. You are nearly world known for your knowledge and experience. I am actually honored you are following the build and sharing your opinions. 👍

That one should keep its rust! 👍

This Troopy, not so much! 😝

Personally, I don’t know of any other Troopy’s with an 80-chassis, 6.2L V8 with 475hp pre-tune, a 6L80 setup for 675hp, a pop top camper, a 105 NEW steering box, blah blah blah.

You guys realize 20+ pages back Tony was buying all kinds of crazy amounts of OEM parts right!? I even posted a video of the donor 80 pack to the roof with new OEM parts. We have one HUGE pile when this truck gets to final assembly. 😎

Cut us some slack until we get there. 😝 With any build, it’s about the final product. 😁

Cheers

And here:
View attachment 2476635

Ask the people who've seen it. Dry. Garage kept since new. But I understand I got lucky, most of them aren't like that. In several years of looking, I've never seen another one as clean. LHD, anyway.

I asked earlier in the thread, but have you reconsidered dipping this to preserve all the work you've done? Might be a good idea.

This, for sure. Your talent and determination are admirable.

I have seen and can find plenty of clean “rust free” Troopies in LHD. They just are not 25yrs old. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Anyways, thanks guys for commenting, seriously it adds to the build thread.

More to come this week with rear floor fitment! And ya, rust stuff. 🙄😁😝

Cheers

I spent some time in Purgatory as a Parts Manager at a Chevrolet dealer. Our official motto was "Cut-to-fit and Paint-to-match". During that same timeframe I went out of my way to buy a then new-to-the-market Dodge-Cummins. It was a 1-ton 4WD. I drove that truck to work every day and I parked it in a very prominent spot.

One of our salesmen came up to the parts counter one day and asked me how I could possibly work in the Chev store and drive that truck.......

I replied: "It's easy my friend. I sell what breaks and drive what holds up." He never spoke to me again. :lol:

Well, the build “concept” on this one has been from the start, set it up for an around the world drive.

Don’t want Tony camping on a beach for two, three, even four weeks at a time surfing and chasing ladies and be worrying about his “home” rusting. Salt air is a bitch for old 70’s, even new ones! Let alone salt water!!

So when it all boils down to it, this is the concept of the build! 😂

Cheers

Well, the build “concept” on this one has been from the start, set it up for an around the world drive.

Here's your blueprint:
VDJ78R E7 FERNWEH web ready015.jpg

..... We have one HUGE pile when this truck gets to final assembly. ...
By then the truck will be old enough to have been imported twice :flipoff2:

All jabbing aside, phenomenal work, still watching with baited breath.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom