Smoke from the belt at the Smog Pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So earlier I thought it was coming from the Power steering pulley but after further review the belt is smoking (burning around the Smog Pump pulley). I loosen the belt and the Smog pump turns freely so not sure why the belt would be smoking unless the belt is just plain worn out. Could this be the case that the Belt is toast? I would think that with the Smog Pump turning it wouldn't burn or smoke like this. Thoughts. Should I try a new belt? I will say that since this issue started the truck idles like s***! Thoughts??

THanks!

did you check your water pump? same belt runs it also

Went and rechecked water pump and the smog pump. Water pump turns fine but as I was rechecking and turning the smog pump it would hit resistance and then and as I turned it more it doesn’t seem to want to turn so it looks like a new smog pump is in order. s*** now I just need to get it back in my garage to work on. Dang it!!

You can run it without the belt for a bit just to see if that's the origin of the smoke. A few minutes at cold-idle won't hurt it.

Usually it's the vanes in the smog pump that will break, seize, and cause excessive resistance. You can take the front cover off, remove the vanes, lube up the bearings and re-attach it as an idler pulley. Unless your county/state requires emissions, and for emissions components to remain intact, I'd just remove the hoses and make it an idler. I believe JimC also sells an idler kit for a more professional look.

If you don’t want to commit to a full de smog at this point, just remove the vanes from the pump, as previously suggested, and put everything back together.

Send your air pump to B-Z Rebuilders in Canoga Park, California. Phone 818 703 0821 two day turnaround and 200 bucks to have rebuilt.

Yup did that and just got it back, looks great $225 was the new price, nice and fast! Would highly recommend. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom