SPI Black Epoxy with UV inhibitor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
SPI black epoxy with UV inhibitors- anyone used this for coating a frame? I'm being told by SPI that there is no need for topcoat with this product due to uv inhibitors. My head is spinning with all the coating options out there. Seems like SPI gets good reviews.

I have tried SPI epoxy primer in the past. It is a good product, but jeez-o-weez its a PITA on instructions to use it. It has a very slow cure time, hence the mix and wait, and wait to spray between coats, and temperature specs to spray it. Again, I'm not saying i's not a good product, but I gave up and switched to Kirker products. I use both Enduro prime epoxy primer as well as the "Hot Rod Satin Black" Urethane top coat for any parts such as the frame that need that semi-gloss factory look. The satin black has a perfect not too shiny finish for a frame and the epoxy primer is easy to use.

I have tried SPI epoxy primer in the past. It is a good product, but jeez-o-weez its a PITA on instructions to use it. It has a very slow cure time, hence the mix and wait, and wait to spray between coats, and temperature specs to spray it. Again, I'm not saying i's not a good product, but I gave up and switched to Kirker products. I use both Enduro prime epoxy primer as well as the "Hot Rod Satin Black" Urethane top coat for any parts such as the frame that need that semi-gloss factory look. The satin black has a perfect not too shiny finish for a frame and the epoxy primer is easy to use.
Thanks for the reply. I considered the Kirker satin, still may. I need to do frame, axles, backing plates, and a lot of other parts. I already coated the frame with epoxy primer and rescuffed to prevent flash rust from sandblasting.

I'll have a hard time meeting the 70 degrees in an uninsulated garage with current weather. Need to get a coating on so I can continue the build.

Why not topcoat with a urethane for superior UV resistance, gloss retention, and solvent resistance?
I didn't have enough epoxy at the time to cover my axles so I was only able to get my freshly sandblasted frame coated to prevent rust. I was trying to find a product that does it all without going the POR route. SPI is saying threir epoxy has UV inhibitors and doesnt need top coating. My challenge now is cold temps. I have considered the Kirker satin black urethane. The pice is right for a gallon. Analysis paralysis.

I didn't have enough epoxy at the time to cover my axles so I was only able to get my freshly sandblasted frame coated to prevent rust. I was trying to find a product that does it all without going the POR route. SPI is saying threir epoxy has UV inhibitors and doesnt need top coating. My challenge now is cold temps. I have considered the Kirker satin black urethane. The pice is right for a gallon. Analysis paralysis.

you’re probably not going to find one product that does it all (definitely not POR!) There’s a reason why multiple coatings are used. Each coating has specific qualities that make up the overall coating system. Also, That urethane probably isn’t suitable for a direct to metal application. For best results, shoot an epoxy and then shoot a urethane topcoat within the recoat window of the epoxy.

That was a PITA. Used the epoxy primer on freshly blasted frame and urethane satin per recommendations. Not perfect but better now that it's black!

20201105_173825.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom