FJ60/80 power steering conversion damper question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lelandEOD

SILVER Star
Threads
Have any of you guys who converted your 40-Series the later power steering box found a damper that works without relocating the damper bracket tab on the frame? I’m using 70-Series tire rod ends and measure a compressed length of 12 inches and an extended length of 21-1/2 inches. After quite a bit of searching, I haven’t found a universal fit damper that fits the compressed/extended length requirements. What have others done to run a damper with a 60/80 steering box?

Does anyone have a hot tip on a website where I can search for dampers by compressed/extended length?

If relocating the frame bracket is unavoidable, does anyone have a recommendation on which damper I should choose? Thanks in advance for the feedback guys!

I am using a monroe and an extra end kit. I am using the stock 60 end mount by the box and the frame mount. I'll try to find the measurements. Start by googling sc2928 that one is close but they have the lengths on rockauto.

I have the 60 tie rod end at the box and relocated the stock frame mount a little (made it point forward instead of down) and then used the stock size damper.

B730AD5E-EED7-4629-8247-74B5948B5265.jpeg

I don't have a damper - Kevin didn't believe in them

and I don't feel the need for one, either; the steering is smooth and straight on good asphalt

(Kevin="Tools R Us" here on MUD; RIP :frown:)

DSC_8165.jpg

Last edited:
yes, he did - November 12th ☹

Have any of you guys who converted your 40-Series the later power steering box found a damper that works without relocating the damper bracket tab on the frame? I’m using 70-Series tire rod ends and measure a compressed length of 12 inches and an extended length of 21-1/2 inches. After quite a bit of searching, I haven’t found a universal fit damper that fits the compressed/extended length requirements. What have others done to run a damper with a 60/80 steering box?

Does anyone have a hot tip on a website where I can search for dampers by compressed/extended length?

If relocating the frame bracket is unavoidable, does anyone have a recommendation on which damper I should choose? Thanks in advance for the feedback guys!

Bumping this old thread - do you have some shimmy in the front end you are trying to cure?

I don't have a damper - Kevin didn't believe in them

and I don't feel the need for one, either; the steering is smooth and straight on good asphalt

(Kevin="Tools R Us" here on MUD; RIP :frown:)

DSC_8165.jpg

If steering is not nice and smooth, it gets you looking for solutions darn quick!

Bumping this old thread - do you have some shimmy in the front end you are trying to cure?

I did have a very minor but aggravating shimmy felt while taking certain curves at speed. I ended up using a Monroe shock that was the correct length (compressed and extended) but had to get creative where it mounted to the frame. The factory FJ40 damper connected to the center arm so the damper was designed to attach from behind the mounting flange on the frame. Thus, the mounting flange hole was bored with a conical taper to accept the mounting pin.

When I tried to mount the damper to the new FJ60 relay rod end, the geometry put the damper in too much of a bind under compression (full passenger steering input). So, my solution was to attach the damper to the frame from the front of the flange. The only way to do that was to re-bore the taper to the mounting bracket from the front of the frame hanger. I picked up a taper boring tool on eBay and used a corresponding taper shim on the opposing side to remove the old taper. It worked like a charm.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Not sure if this is relevant, but I pulled off an old damper set up that wasn't stock (possibly man a fre) but it bolted one end into the little bump stop ring on the axle and the other end had a plate that bolted to one of the tie rods. Here's the best pics I could find to give an idea. Not sure if it gives you the same amount of dampening but you could try something like that if all else fails. Wouldn't require welding anything differently.

I never thought it really needed it but removing it, I think I noticed a little difference so I may put it back with new shock eventually.
1603333026294.png

1603333046501.png

I had thought I would need want one when I installed my 80 box, but honestly it felt great and never needed one. Now my tires are no longer new and I have an occasional shimmy. Does the group think a stabilizer would fix this? I’m not planning on new tires any time soon.

Have any of you guys who converted your 40-Series the later power steering box found a damper that works without relocating the damper bracket tab on the frame? I’m using 70-Series tire rod
I installed Monroe SC2915 steering damper and took the mounting hardware from Monroe SC2946 damper’s box. Fits nicely.

I had thought I would need want one when I installed my 80 box, but honestly it felt great and never needed one. Now my tires are no longer new and I have an occasional shimmy. Does the group think a stabilizer would fix this? I’m not planning on new tires any time soon.

the older the tires, the more often you might want to check, and adjust tire pressure to be even all around - just sayin'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom