What did you drive before your LC 200 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'll play. Not counting patrol cars, aircraft, and dirt bikes:

1988 Ford Ranger
1987 Honda Nighthawk
1994 Pontiac Grand Prix
1997 Honda Shadow
1998 Ford Ranger
2000 GMC Sonoma
2000 Suzuki Intruder
1978 Pontiac Catalina
2001 Saturn whatever
2001 Yamaha R6
2004 Yamaha V-star
2005 GMC Canyon
2009 Chevy Silverado
2003 LC100
2018 Chevy Colorado
2013 LC200

Probably a few more sprinkled in that I have forgotten.
How did you like your Colorado’s and Canyons?

Just Another Land Cruiser
E7584E50-80AF-4DF4-86EF-72DBD4285BCD.jpeg

36BD7F2D-498F-45E1-8598-434EAD28F3D7.jpeg

E886A99E-3ED9-4B1E-B637-142A69ADD250.jpeg

6A4942BD-0B77-4F0E-9C2B-BCA9553CC3BE.jpeg

C7F7162F-D6D3-4EB7-BA39-69F05432E120.jpeg

🍻

Great thread!

2001 Honda Civic (used) - thanks mom and dad!
2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM (new)
2009 Yamaha FZ1 (new)
2011 VW GTI (new)
2000 Honda VFR800 (used)
2003 Suzuki SV1000S (used)
2013 Nissan 370Z (new)
2012 Nissan Frontier (used)
2003 Yamaha R6 (used)
2003 Honda S2000 (used)
2011 Infiniti G37S 6-speed sedan (used)
1984 Porsche 944 (used)
2006 Toyota 4Runner (used)
2016 Ford Focus RS (used)
2012 Porsche Cayman R (used)
2014 Subaru BRZ (used)

Also a handful of mountain bikes, but I'll save that for another thread.

A lot of these were concurrent. I may have commitment issues, but I'm thinking the Land Cruiser will be sticking around for awhile.

In chronological order.....

2008 Toyota Tundra
2004 Toyota Tundra
2001 Toyota 4Runner
2001 Toyota Tacoma
1995 Toyota 4Runner
1993 Toyota Truck

Great thread! I am always curious what folks think of the cars they have and their decision process in terms of why they change from car to car. As such, I figured I would give a glimpse of that for me in case someone shares that same curiosity. (Since the thread asked what you drove, vs what you purely owned, the first three were owned by my folks, but I drove them interchangeably in high school and college. I included my bride's cars too since I ended up driving most of them almost as much as she did.)

1972 Ford Pinto (4 speed. Took my driver’s license test in it because my father was adamant that I had to take the test in manual transmission car.)

1972 Plymouth Fury III (Bullet proof 318 cubic inch motor and transmission. Put it in reverse at 65mph by accident when I was in college and not only did it try mightily, but it survived the experience with no damage.)

1976 Dodge 4X4 Power Wagon (3 speed on the steering column. Same bullet proof motor as the Plymouth. Fun truck, wish I had bought it from my Dad.)

1985 Ford Mustang GT (5 speed. First car I bought myself. Last year of the 4 barrel Holley carburetors. Did a lot of stupid tricks in this car, as you might imagine. Getting all four wheels off the ground crossing a set of railroad tracks when drag racing was probably the dumbest of them all.)

1986 Suzuki GS700. (Did even more stupid tricks on this motorcycle. After the worst one, I rebuilt it in the dining room. Definitely an activity only done before you get married.)

1987 Volkswagen Jetta (5 speed. Bride’s first new car, we drove it coast to coast three times, realized after the second trip it was too small for the two of us on such long trips.)

1989 Ford Probe GT (5 speed. First and last time I buy a car in the first year after it comes out.)

1991 Ford Ranger (5 speed. Drivetrain warranty for 60K miles, transmission failed at 64K.)

1992 Mitsubishi Diamante (Bride’s car, first automatic. Fun to drive, fatal flaw in the water pump bearings the company would not acknowledge.)

1996 Infiniti G20 (Bride’s car, I drove it to work often because it got great mileage. Was broadsided in it by a crazy woman. Heads and side windows should not mix.)

1997 Toyota 4Runner (5 speed. Loved this, sold it because I needed more hauling capability.)

2001 Nissan Maxima (5 speed. Bride’s car, very fun to drive. Upgraded the tires to Michelin MXV-4s and could never get it aligned properly afterwards, even with corporate Nissan’s help.)

2003 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab (5 speed. Loved this truck. Had it for seven years, was deployed or stationed overseas for four of them. Came home from Afghanistan and every seal was failing since it did not get driven much while I was gone. Cut my losses and sold it.)

2006 Volvo S60 (2nd automatic. Bride’s car. Shipped it to Korea and back, drove it across country. Taught son to drive in it. Great car.)

2011 Toyota Tundra TRD 4X4. (Wanted another manual transmission, but the one in this truck was superb. Great truck. Would have kept it but after driving at least 2400 miles each year going back and forth to take my son to and from college, I reached the point where the seats were killing my back.)

2013 Lexus GS350 (Automatic. Bride’s car, fun to drive. I am quite sure of the two of us, I am the only one who uses the paddle shifters in manual mode.)

2016 Corvette ZO6 (7-speed. This was my bride’s idea. I sold my motorcycle many years ago, and was thinking of getting another. She offered up that they are just as dangerous now as they were then, and maybe I should get a Vette instead. This is just one of many, many reasons we have been married for over 30 years.)

2019 Land Cruiser. (Don’t have to tell this group why I bought it. Plan on keeping it.)

2017 GLS550 - sweeeeeeet ride - leased - not smart to own one - that or CPO w/ extended warranty.

2005 Acura RL - had that for 9 years
1990 Mazda RX-7 Convertible, converted to 5 speed manual - had that for 8 years
1986 BMW 325es - had that straight six for 8 years
1976 Datsun F10 - two years before it drank its last quart of oil
None were new. None were financed. None left me stranded.

Here is mine, current rigs in bold:

1965 Ford F100 LB 2wd with positraction. A very reliable old rig. My dad bought it new. His first brand new vehicle. We'd leave it out all winter, throw a battery in, and it always started right up.-sold
1991 Mazda B2600i-Worst vehicle I have ever owned. Spent more in repairs in two years than I paid for the thing. Transmission out twice, no replacement parts, etc.-scrapped
Yamaha XS400. Great bike to learn on. Was probably slower than a Vespa. Easy to maneuver and stop.-sold
1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab 4cyl. manual and manual locks and windows. Pre atrac, no anti lock. A sweet rig. Should have kept it. Sold after 4 years for 3k less than I paid for it.-sold
1982 Yamaha XJ550. First vehicle I purchased I had to tear down and fix. Gave me a love for working on vehicles.-sold
1999.5 Nissan Pathfinder. It was a good rig, although very underpowered with the 3.3 V6. Couldn't keep up on the freeway on hills.-sold
1964 Chevy II Nova. A true barn find. Picked it up from the original owner, who's husband purchased it for her as a wedding gift. Only had 25k miles. She went blind so she couldn't drive it anymore. She even kept a log of everywhere she drove it. -sold
2004 Tacoma TRD. Still in the family.
2004 Honda Accord (wife's car).-sold

1988 Toyota FJ62. Belonged to a family member, but I got to drive it.-sold. Almost bought it back a year ago.
2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR. Another sweet rig I should have kept. Drove it for almost seven years and sold it for $3k less than I paid for it new.-sold
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax Rock Warrior edition. It was a great truck, just big. Couldn't reach my kids in the back seat to hand them things. Not a good vehicle for city parking. Actually got stuck in a parking garage when I had people parked close to me on each side. Had a spotter try to get me out, but there literally wasn't enough room to get out without hitting a car next to me. Had to hang out in the city for a while until someone left one of the spots. Had a custom bumper and Budbuild sliders. That thing went everywhere...except parking garages :).-sold.
2003 Toyota 4Runner V8. A really good rig, but sold it to get something better.-sold
2004 Yamaha V-Star Custom. Only a 650, but looked big. It was great for my short commute, and paid for itself with the amount I saved parking in downtown Portland. Wife told me if I sold it and quit riding she'd be cool with me starting a Land Cruiser collection. -quickly sold
2011 Toyota Land Cruiser. Sold after I picked up my 2016 for a steal.-sold.
1982 Toyota FJ40. Restored and in great shape.
2012 Toyota 4Runner Limited (wife's car)-sold.
1984 Toyota Pickup. In amazing shape. It is my dump, kayaking and camping rig. It is very sold with no rust.
1988 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ62. This will get some minor body work a paint job in spring and be a daily driver. No rust, out of Norcal. A fun rig.
2016 Toyota Land Cruiser. My reliable rig.
2020 Toyota 4Runner Limited (wife's car).

Current
2020 LX570 recently purchased to replace 13 LX570
2015 Bentley continental
2018 Ferrari 488 cab

owned various AMGs, Ms, a few Porsche, infinity and mazi.

if I had rank top 3: it would 1) 488 2) LX 3) Mazi grandturismo

First car was a 1963 Pontiac Catalina that I got handed down when my parents found out it was worth nothing for a trade-in, that was in 1977.

Bunch of others. Strictly Toyota after 1986. Worst car I ever owned was a '72 Plymouth Gran Fury. Horrible POS. Finally got rid of it in 1981 to buy the first and only brand new car I ever bought, a Honda Accord.

Noteables...
'92 4Runner - loved that truck like crazy, still miss it. Sold it to buy...
'88 FJ62 - it was love/hate. Had a lot of problems when I got it, all of which I fixed. I learned sooo much by owning that thing. Don't miss it.
'98 Lexus ES300 - great car
'84 Xcab pickup - trail beater. My son and I wrenched on that thing a lot, learned a lot, then the frame finally gave out in 2002. I miss that truck LOTS.
'05 Lexus ES330 - also great car, but boring. Don't miss it.
'07 Lexus ES350 - inherited when Mom passed. Don't miss it.
'87 Xcab pickup - owned from 2002 until 2017. Total frame off 2010-14. Now resides in Tucson AZ, owned by a mudder. No AC, no safety stuff, no traction control, lousy heat, no power, stiff ride. Kinda hard to get into when the 200 showed up with all the goods. Still, I miss it tons.
LongFront.jpg

Last edited:
Lets see, before my 200 series
rack-jpg.1469860

a 100 series
moab-march-099-jpg.609802

before that an 80 series
attachment.php

Then a GMC Jimmy, Jeep Wrangler Sahara and a Honda

I have also owned 3 FJ40s. First a 1974 I bought in 1979. No Picture

A 77 I bought in 2003
pic-8-jpg.36033

my current one a 1973 FJ40 I bought in 2014
img_0830-jpg.2308735

Oh and lets not forget the commuter cars

2004 BMW Z4
BMW Z4 2003 and 80.jpg

2009 BMW Z4
BMW 2009 and 100.jpg

2019 BMW Z4
IMG_0325.jpg

I seemed to have settled on one Fj40, One 200 series and one BMW Z4 as the right balance :)

oh and a Kimberley Kamper I imported direct from Australia
DSC02687.JPG

Hey guys just seen this ... think he’s smoking crack .

For years I was a Woody Grand Wagoneer guy they were cheap when I was young before I went Toyota but these people think there worth all the money same with the bronco people .

Grand Wagoneers were great and cheap to lift

The Grand Wagoneer were similar in size to the 200 , I went to 4 runners first and still like the 4Runner especially liked the manual select 4x4 transfer case .
1996 Toyota 4Runner SR5. Original owner. Loved that rig.

31CDC96D-AB1D-4D19-840D-E0A066A7C30D.jpeg

05125A5E-0BDF-40F6-A26A-270090C1DD7D.jpeg

2003 Toyota 4Runner V8 Limited. Bought it new and kept it for about 13 years. The frame rusted to oblivion and had to be replaced. Then the sunroof surround rusted and I was done with it. It was a pretty good truck, but it had an appetite for freezing calipers.

Love the Aussie. Just got one last March before the lockdown. Best pup I've ever had. Amazing dogs.

View attachment 2472842
Not to side track thread too much but I have been looking at aussies and border collies. Not sure what direction to go would love to hear you alls feedback?
Maybe it should be it’s own thread!!
Rooster Cogburn has been an amazing dog. We will get another in a year or so. Smart,funny, loyal. Great with kids.

Not to side track thread too much but I have been looking at aussies and border collies. Not sure what direction to go would love to hear you alls feedback?
Maybe it should be it’s own thread!!
Depends on your lifestyle. We are pretty active people and I don't think I'd have the energy to keep up with a border collie. My aussie runs with me and my wife, is great with my 3 daughters, and is pretty chill when we need him to be. During the down times, he is VERY mellow and super smart. So mellow that we thought something was wrong with him when we first got him. They should be kept entertained when left alone for long periods of time or they'll use those smarts in a destructive way. Active feeders, bones, games easily solve that. Kodiak loves to travel. Every time I go ANYWHERE, he is the first in the car. Doesn't bark, sits in his own seat, and just loves watching the world go by. Ive had a number of breeds over the year and I was apprehensive at first because I had heard that aussies are like border collies, full of too much energy for any normal family. I have found that true of the collies, not of my aussie.

Biggest thing as with any dog is training from pup age. I got a book on training aussies (first dog book ever, that's how nervous I was) and taught him from the first day I got him. He listens immediately, comes from anywhere with a whistle while in the house or on trail, and even helps herd my girls when out hiking/walking. I say that kind of jokingly but he does herd my kids. He makes sure everyone stays together and is extremely attentive.

Beware, they are herding dogs. Because of that, they're mouthy. They nip at heels and put EVERYTHING in their mouths. Part of that is just being a pup but you MUST set precedent from pup age that any open mouth contact on anyone is unacceptable. They learn pretty quickly. To be completely clear, he has never once bitten anyone or even come close. He has torn a t-shirt or 2 when smaller and playing with the kids. He has had no aggression whatsoever. His temperament is identical to the labs I have had. He is more likely to lick you to death.

Phenomenal family dogs that love to go everywhere with you. Treat them like family and they'll act like it. Obvious to say but training is everything. These dogs are so intelligent, loyal, and loving. Kodiak has been my shadow since I got him. I work from home during this pandemic and he doesn't leave my side. Sleeps at my feet during meetings and has endless love and energy for family.

I could talk all day about my aussie and how good of a dog he is. You can PM me or start another thread if you'd like more info.

Hijack off.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom