LX450 restore with LS3 swap questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Since a v8 swap is a fairly large operation, be willing to branch out far if needed to find a good swap shop.
TLC does them
Are you sure about that? I don't think they can because of california emissions. I think they have to keep the erod motor stock to get it past the emissions referee.
Yup, positive. That said, not all ICON trucks stay in CA, and some don't stay in the country. But part of the point of their doing erod swaps in the first place is 50-state-legal status; if it passes in CA, it passes everywhere. THAT said, they do this on the 40s...

EDIT/UPDATE: THAT said, I was just told that e-rod swaps are no longer legal in CA 80s, so there goes that...

Last edited:
TLC does them

Yup, positive. That said, not all ICON trucks stay in CA, and some don't stay in the country. But part of the point of their doing erod swaps in the first place is 50-state-legal status; if it passes in CA, it passes everywhere...

TLC restoration costs about $200K and 2 year wait list neither of which I can afford :).

It sounds like you are happy with the swap. I have a friend at GM who can help me getting the engine/tranny and torque converter, I will give Pacific Fabrication a call to see if they can help build all the harness/wiring and ECU to my engine/trans specs. I also put aside another $10K for labor and all the nicknacks. I hope that is reasonable budget.

Pacific Fab sells the harness/ECU for ~$1K. That's a good deal. They offer several options on the configuration that adds a few $$. Be sure to specify the 2WD trans. You remove the tail shaft and bolt up the adapter, which runs about $1,800 if I remember correctly.

TLC does them

Yup, positive. That said, not all ICON trucks stay in CA, and some don't stay in the country. But part of the point of their doing erod swaps in the first place is 50-state-legal status; if it passes in CA, it passes everywhere...
So they must be using the L94 then instead of the Ls3 is my thinking. Which is the truck version of the 6.2 I think.

So they must be using the L94 then instead of the Ls3 is my thinking. Which is the truck version of the 6.2 I think.
LS3 seems to go in all of the LCs, unless the customer specifies otherwise. A few have gone bigger. Joe Rogan went with an LSA, and at least one guy went with an LS7 (4L85E tranny on both).

Last edited:
TLC restoration costs about $200K and 2 year wait list neither of which I can afford :).
Maybe see what they charge for just the swap. Won’t be cheap, but it will be flawless.

LS3 seems to go in all of the LCs, unless the customer specifies otherwise. A few have gone bigger. Joe Rogan went with an LSA, and at least one guy went with an LS7 (4L85E tranny on both).
Thats pretty strange to go with a 6.2 LS3 and then put a truck intake on it. If the motors they are using are 6.2 truck motors that would make more sense because those come with the truck cam for more torque and the truck intake. The truck intake on a LS3 without a cam change would only add a little more torque.

Thats pretty strange to go with a 6.2 LS3 and then put a truck intake on it. If the motors they are using are 6.2 truck motors that would make more sense because those come with the truck cam for more torque and the truck intake. The truck intake on a LS3 without a cam change would only add a little more torque.
Their reasoning is as mentioned above. I would think it's probably more about where the power comes in than total output. Can't say I've done a tremendous amount of LS research on my own, but they can use--and their customers can afford--any engine with any components, and have been at this for something like 20 years now. Jonathan is a self-described "singular lunatic" when it comes to putting these vehicles together for reliability, durability, aesthetics etc. That said, ICON does this with the 40s; I've not seen sister company TLC do it with 80s...

Last edited:
Their reasoning is as mentioned above. I would think it's probably more about where the power comes in than total output. Can't say I've done a tremendous amount of LS research on my own, but they can use--and their customers can afford--any engine with any components, and have been at this for something like 20 years now. Jonathan is a self-described "singular lunatic" when it comes to putting these vehicles together for reliability, durability, aesthetics etc. If he's using it, I'll go with that... :)
Very interesting. Ive been doing a lot of research on the LS motor lately for my own personal use. So some of the information Ive read is pretty fresh in my head.

The LS3 works just fine in both the 60 and 80 series, even 60 bodies on 80 frames. I've used both 5.3L Vortec used motors and Connect and Cruise LS3 crate motor packages for years with no issues. To think that the LS3 is just a car motor is amusing. Cable Dude posted up the torque numbers in an earlier post, more than enough to push a LC down the road or up a trail. Either way you go, pull out motor or brand new crate package, it's a game changer in a LC. Be sure to have a good braking system and stable steering components :)

Yeah; ICON prefers to run 18-inch wheels specifically in order to fit giant Brembo/ICON sport brakes with 6 pistons up front, 4 in the rear. They stop REALLY fast. DBA rotor upgrade as well.

Last edited:

They use the truck intake because it's taller and doesn't have the intake clearance issues that the LS car intake has. It raises the intake above the radiator so you don't have to use such a sharp bend in the intake hose.

They use the truck intake because it's taller and doesn't have the intake clearance issues that the LS car intake has. It raises the intake above the radiator so you don't have to use such a sharp bend in the intake hose.
Hmm. Never thought of that. :)

As to CA (and therefore all-state) compliance, here are some underhood stickers from a '95 done by TLC...

EDIT/UPDATE/CORRECTION: Reading the CARB EO, I see it applies ONLY to 1995 and older vehicles. And I'm now told that e-rod 80 swaps are no longer smog-legal in CA. (YMMV by state...)

CARB EO: https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/d-126-32.pdf

LS3 CA CARB EO.jpg

LS3 CA BAR CERT LC-Specific.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe see what they charge for just the swap. Won’t be cheap, but it will be flawless.
I called TLC, they no longer do swaps. They referred me to
I spoke w ICON; they no longer do swaps. They referred me to Corsetti Cruiser who specialized in these swaps. I also called and spoke w Brian Corsetti who was the owner of the shop. He seemed very knowledgeable and quite nice. I'll continue to do more search for local shops but as of right now, I may have to send the truck out to get the swap done.

I spoke w ICON; they no longer do swaps. They referred me to Corsetti Cruiser who specialized in these swaps. I also called and spoke w Brian Corsetti who was the owner of the shop. He seemed very knowledgeable and quite nice. I'll continue to do more search for local shops but as of right now, I may have to send the truck out to get the swap done.
Damn. I guess they only do them on their own vehicles and major restos now. Thanks for the update!

You could try Proffitt's Resurrection Land Cruisers in Colorado.

If I were to send a truck out for a swap I’d go with @NCFJ before either of those.

Pacific Fab sells the harness/ECU for ~$1K. That's a good deal. They offer several options on the configuration that adds a few $$. Be sure to specify the 2WD trans. You remove the tail shaft and bolt up the adapter, which runs about $1,800 if I remember correctly.
You could try Proffitt's Resurrection Land Cruisers in Colorado.
I called them earlier last week and was told someone would call me back, and I am still waiting for that call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom