Vibration after caster plate install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I’ve got a brand new shake after installing landtank 2.5 caster plates. Only happens between 10-20 mph. 1995 with OME 851 with 30mm spacer up front and OME 866 rear. Front driveshaft is brand new. Rear driveshaft has new OEM u joints. This had the washer mod done before I installed the plates. The rig drove well enough and I figured it would get a little better with the plates. Plates lowered the front control arm bolts another bolt width from the washer mod. Besides that little shake the rig tracks straight and drives really nice. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Probably your front driveshaft. The castor plates rotate the axle to correct castor. Changing the pinion angle of axle which will affect driveshaft position.

My next step is to pull the front driveshaft, lock the cdl and drive around to confirm I guess. I’m surprised such a small change would make this happen. I may just go back to the washer mod and be done with it.

double carden front shaft or the 1 or 3 degree offset knucle bearing.

Took it for a spin with the front driveshaft out. Vibes are gone. Unfortunately a DC driveshaft is out of my budget at the moment. Gonna go back to the washer mod as it’s free and all it takes is my time to get it done.

Where did the "new" drive shaft come from?

Where did the "new" drive shaft come from?

toyota OEM from my local dealer.

Edit: I had zero vibes before the caster plates went in. New driveshaft was comped by the dealer for hacking up my old one when they did the u joints. I made a thread about it here.

Is it out-of-phase like it is supposed to be?
If the slip yoke was put on in-phase it could vibrate.

Is it out-of-phase like it is supposed to be?
If the slip yoke was put on in-phase it could vibrate.

yessir. It was installed out of phase and drove fine before the plates. I did try putting it in phase tonight which got rid of most of the vibes but it became growly at highway speed. Removing it solved both.

Got it. In that case it's a DC or reduce the pinion angle. Do you have radial deflection at the transfer output flange?

Got it. In that case it's a DC or reduce the pinion angle. Do you have radial deflection at the transfer output flange?

Gonna be honest here. I’m not sure what that means or what to look for in this case.

Gonna be honest here. I’m not sure what that means or what to look for in this case.
Side-to-side play in the flange/output shaft.

So I’ve got a brand new shake after installing landtank 2.5 caster plates. Only happens between 10-20 mph. 1995 with OME 851 with 30mm spacer up front and OME 866 rear. Front driveshaft is brand new. Rear driveshaft has new OEM u joints. This had the washer mod done before I installed the plates. The rig drove well enough and I figured it would get a little better with the plates. Plates lowered the front control arm bolts another bolt width from the washer mod. Besides that little shake the rig tracks straight and drives really nice. Any thoughts?

Thanks

What is your front tcase pinion flange angle and what is your front diff pinion flange angle?

Without these numbers who knows? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Cheers

What is your front tcase pinion flange angle and what is your front diff pinion flange angle.

Without these numbers who knows? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Cheers

No clue. Will check tomorrow. Quite honestly at this point I think it’s easier just to redo the washer mod as it was before. I was just hoping for a little better drivability from the plates. But the difference in straight tracking is so slight it’s not worth the headache of chasing the vibes.

I don’t even know what a washer mod is and I work on Land Cruisers for a living. 🤷🏼‍♂️

There is a process here to fix not only caster but front driveline issues.

You have to start somewhere and it’s best to start with your desired lift before any correction of anything. Get numbers/readings and proceed from there. This is how you build or fix anything.

I don’t do cookie cutter products in my shop, I get the numbers and buy what is needed.

What is your caster right now with 6” arms and 2.5” lift?

And why did you go with this set up?

Cheers

I would just live with it. I have castor plates and 4” lift with a DC shaft. Still get vibrations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom