assembling early 1fz - keyed oil pump gear question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks,
putting together a 94 block that I didn't disassemble. I've only worked on my 97 which has no key for the oil pump gear on the crankshaft.
This gear for the 94 has the keyway, but it's twice the width of the key...am I missing something? I've researched here and fsm but couldn't make much sense of it. why is the keyway twice as wide, and what's the proper assembly? Thanks.

1603254629970.png

I found this that may answer the question, around 16:10 to 17:30, essentially saying it's to allow a rotation during installation/removal as the gear teeth are helical. I wouldn't have guessed because after my block came back from the machinist those gears just slide together like butter. But the guy in the video also says it's his first time working on a 1fz, so I take it with a grain of salt. Sound legit?
In any case, I think the answer is clear about how to assemble it now, it just goes on with all that slop. I guess it's more driven by clamp force from the crank bolt, as is the case for 95+, even though it has a key. That is how I'm going to proceed anyway.
EDIT: forgot the link:doh:

Last edited:
The oil pump gear is driven by the clamping force (304 LB-FT) of the harmonic balancer bolt.

The key on the shaft is for the HB.

The oil pump gear is driven by the clamping force (304 LB-FT) of the harmonic balancer bolt.

The key on the shaft is for the HB.
Thanks for your reply, never heard that stated out right for the 93-94s.
There's a second key for the timing sprocket which extends into the oil pump gear, technically making it key driven and clamp driven, though the need for clamping force is obvious

Thanks for your reply, never heard that stated out right for the 93-94s.
There's a second key for the timing sprocket which extends into the oil pump gear, technically making it key driven and clamp driven, though the need for clamping force is obvious
Go to www.partsouq.com and plug in your VIN.

Then go to the Engine section and find "crankshaft and piston" section to find your gears. Then copy the number and paste to Google for a search and get an image of your part.

I did this for my 96 and I cannot find a gear like the one you have in your pic. Unless that is the gear that drives the PS pump gear.

13522-66011 (93-94, keyed) as opposed to 13522-66030 (95+, no keyway)
the gear changes between the years by loosing the keyway in leu of a straight bore, like in your 96. It's the gear that goes onto the crank itself, not making contact with PS pump
1603308239852.png
1603308267534.png

1603308174233.png

13522-66011 (93-94, keyed) as opposed to 13522-66030 (95+, no keyway)
the gear changes between the years by loosing the keyway in leu of a straight bore, like in your 96. It's the gear that goes onto the crank itself, not making contact with PS pump
View attachment 2472189View attachment 2472190
View attachment 2472188
Probably because on the 95+, there is a sensor ring for the crank sensor to operate the OBD2 systems. That's what takes up the extra space.

Do you have the 94 FSM?

nope :/ not my rig. hoped to get it through the famous thread but looks like that's no longer an option.
But from the video it looks like it'd assemble like the later blocks, just without the sensor gear like you say.
Probably because on the 95+, there is a sensor ring for the crank sensor to operate the OBD2 systems. That's what takes up the extra space.

Do you have the 94 FSM?

nope :/ not my rig. hoped to get it through the famous thread but looks like that's no longer an option.
But from the video it looks like it'd assemble like the later blocks, just without the sensor gear like you say.
It's there, but in a different thread now.

See the link below to a specific Google Drive.

Thank you. Didn't work till I downloaded it.
For future readers, the fsm doesn't explain the purpose of the wide keyway, though I suspect it may be because of the helical gear teeth. Regardless, the assembly in the video is correct as per the 94 fsm.
Thanks to @BILT4ME for helping me think through it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom