Builds Canguro Racing's Monica (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyone know a good wheel repair shop? This Rock Warrior needs some love :D

20201020_203232.jpg

OK, I'll bite.

What did that?:hmm:

Yeah, quite a bit I imagine. Did it get the tread as well?

I bet it was noisy. :eek:

Sadly it did wipe out a brand new tire, it had less than 20 miles on the combo. @dmc could describe the sound it made :D

Was that an OEM rotor that grenaded?

Was that an OEM rotor that grenaded?

No, it was an aftermarket rotor. We have since switched to Remmen Brakes and had zero troubles

A little JB weld and that wheel will take you to victory at Baja. :D

No, it was an aftermarket rotor. We have since switched to Remmen Brakes and had zero troubles

Interesting. Was the rotor that grenaded cross drilled or slotted? I prefer solid disks for track duty.

Never thought of the wheel barrel as a containment structure for the brake rotor. Wonder what speed Monica was at when it let go.

Interesting. Was the rotor that grenaded cross drilled or slotted? I prefer solid disks for track duty.

Never thought of the wheel barrel as a containment structure for the brake rotor. Wonder what speed Monica was at when it let go.

It was cross-drilled/slotted. All these years our only rotor failure.

@dmc was driving as I recall.

Great eve in the shop. Rear suspension is done and ready for brake bleed, tires and ride height suspension torque.

20201022_212134.jpg

Front is coming together nicely too. Waiting on a couple parts to button it together next week.

20201022_212124.jpg

Minty fresh bits ready for some punishment

So being a rebadged LX allows standard sway bars.. if you had been running a LC would you have had to keep KDSS or do the suspension rules allow a swap?

It was cross-drilled/slotted. All these years our only rotor failure.

@dmc was driving as I recall.
We were probably going about 65 around a right hand sweeper that was uphill but off-camber to the uphill side when the back end of the truck just slammed to the ground. It wasn't scary at all just startling as hell. It was during a testing session (we were breaking gears so just putting some miles on them, not tuning suspension). Those were EBC brakes I believe. Might have been Stop Tech. There is some thought that the lug nuts sheared then broke the rotor rather than the other way around. There was a huge chunk for rotor still in the caliper when we climbed out to look at it. That was a long day of recovery.

So being a rebadged LX allows standard sway bars.. if you had been running a LC would you have had to keep KDSS or do the suspension rules allow a swap?
That's a good question. I'd have to look closer at the rule book. Most verbiage speaks to suspension type and location. Can't convert from leaf to coil, torsion bars to coilovers etc and must retain stock factory, unreinforced links. I'm not sure sway bars are included.

I'd have to take a closer look at the suspension rules but I don't think they call our even needing a sway bar system.

@cruiseroutfit What are your thoughts on the steering rack bushings? I recall on the 100-series, the rack bushings get worn and need attention at higher mileage. What's the 200-series mounting system look like for the rack and is there any wear concerns?

I'd have to take a closer look at the suspension rules but I don't think they call our even needing a sway bar system.
Don’t put much effort into it, just a curious question.

@cruiseroutfit What are your thoughts on the steering rack bushings? I recall on the 100-series, the rack bushings get worn and need attention at higher mileage. What's the 200-series mounting system look like for the rack and is there any wear concerns?

We are not seeing that issue like we do on the 100/470. We sell a great deal of SuperPro rack bushing kits for the 100/470, I don't think we've had a single call for the 200/570. Obviously there may be 9 year lag to catch up with the age/miles but I do think the 200 bushings are superior design and function. We replace racks on Monica (Canguro 200) due to play in the rack, never because of bushings in fact we've had to repair the frame rack mounts on occasion because they crack where the rack mounts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom