Body panel compatability FJ80/FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought a new to me '92 FJ80. I pick it up tomorrow. I've been looking for the right truck for a while now and just yesterday I told my wife I decided to put off any purchases for now due to $$. Then last night I find this truck on Ebay for $1,800 and I couldn't pass it up!

Here's the tech part.
It has some dings and dents and may need a new drivers side fender. I might just try to pound it out. Are the fenders on an FJ80 compatible with those on an FZJ80? Anyone have a white DS fender & or flare that you need to get rid of? I will also need a new front bumper if I can get one cheap, otherwise I'll just tell the wife I need the ARB!

Also, the seller stated that it probably needs new shocks in the rear. Is this a commonly replaced part at a certain mileage or do most folks just go with new springs?

I can't wait to get my new truck, 7 hours drive each way and I will have her home tomorrow night.

Thanks,
Ron

P.S. As thanks to Woody and everyone here I ponied up for my silver star today! Thanks to all.

Last edited:
I think that most of the body panels are compatible. The fender flares are different but I think they still bolt up.

I have a front bumper from my 94 that I am going to replace with an ARB. It's not in perfect shape, but it looks pretty good. I would sell it for $70 plus shipping.

Congrats on getting an 80 series, they are great!

The fenders are different in the manner that the flares attach. David Dearborn has fitted a later fender to an earlier truck and he told me it was difficult to fit the flare and that the only reason he did it was because the fender was a free-bee.

cruiserdan said:
The fenders are different in the manner that the flares attach. David Dearborn has fitted a later fender to an earlier truck and he told me it was difficult to fit the flare and that the only reason he did it was because the fender was a free-bee.

I was comparing the flares from my 94 to that of my brothers 96 and they seemed different too (his were a little wider). I wonder if 93 and 94's have the same as the 91 and 92's? Or is there 3 different fender flares?

Three distinct versions. 91-92, 93-94 and 95-97. All three mount differently, resulting in three different fenders. The 91-94 flares are fiberglass and the 95-97 are plastic.

This is good information to know, thank you for the insight.

I realize that this was 10 years ago but any recollection or idea on how hard it was for him to fit the fender? Do the fenders line up much differently?

The general shape of the fender is the same. Flare location holes (or the lack of them) dictate the difference.

Ahh. Got ya. Thanks for the reply.
Any idea about the front or back fender compatibility. I remember seeing somewhere that the mounting brackets are a little different but with some minor adjustment to the monting bracket holes the bumpers could interchange. Any truth to that in your experience. I'm thinking about putting a 94 fender in my 96 wondering how much trouble I'm going to be putting myself through.

What do you mean by "front or back fender compatibility"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom