The LX Camper Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Unscrew that nonsense. It's for "aerodynamics" šŸ˜‚

It's also extremely easy to move the liner forward like the instructions above.

Unscrewed it, so far no change in MPG. :) Also removed the mudflap.

Now rubbing only happens when backing up while turning sharply (but not when in "high"). I'll try moving the liner, thanks @TeCKis300!

It certainly is a "PSI thing."

The Recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure (RCTIP) for those P285/70R17 tires on your LX570 is 26psi F/R.

Enjoy your new, softer ride.

HTH
Thanks! That definitely made a difference! Would adding sliders (150lbs) and loading up on people/luggage increase that to beyond 26psi?

Thanks! That definitely made a difference! Would adding sliders (150lbs) and loading up on people/luggage increase that to beyond 26psi?

That RCTIP is good up to the GVWR of your vehicle.

HTH

Can you take some all around photos in high mode with your new wheel and tire setup please?

Agree with @gaijin that the pressure is sufficient from a load standpoint.

You may still adjust up for a multitude of reasons. Including for things like tire wear, tire sidewall rollover in cornering, or just feel and personal preference. Even stock tire pressures, when manufacturers establish them, are balanced against more than just the load chart. Load pressures establishes a minimum. There are reasons to go higher. On 17" wheels with lots of sidewall and the heavier LX, I would go higher. If ride quality is the priority for you over steering feel, 26 PSI is just fine too.

As an example, my setup has a minimum inflation pressure of 35psi based on load tables. I prefer 38 PSI for on-road as I find taller sidewalls to be too compliant and have too much slip angle and rollover when cornering. When I tow, I'll go to 42 PSI, not for load reasons, but for better sway control and stability.

Last edited:
As an example, my setup has a minimum inflation pressure of 35psi based on load tables. I prefer 38 PSI for on-road as I find taller sidewalls to be too compliant and have too much slip angle and rollover when cornering. When I tow, I'll go to 42 PSI, not for load reasons, but for better sway control and stability.

Glad to know I'm not alone. I very much appreciate @gaijin's expertise, and I understand why he's very "by the book"; however, i've been experimenting with this myself. Like yours, the minimum inflation on my LT305/70/18 KO2s is 35psi. I'm consistently rolling around at 7700lbs, so I'll try 38 and 42 and see how that goes

Glad to know I'm not alone. I very much appreciate @gaijin's expertise, and I understand why he's very "by the book"; however, i've been experimenting with this myself. Like yours, the minimum inflation on my LT305/70/18 KO2s is 35psi. I'm consistently rolling around at 7700lbs, so I'll try 38 and 42 and see how that goes

Just something to keep in mind - the only reason your RCTIP for the LT305/70R18 KO2's on your LX570 is 35psi is because that is the minimum required pressure for that tire on ANY vehicle. In fact, that 35psi RCTIP would be good for a vehicle GVWR up to about 8667 pounds (if such a vehicle existed). So the point is, 35psi is not the "same as stock" Load Limit pressure, it is the minimum required by the tire manufacturer.

You can do the math yourself, but stock LX570 required Load Limit for an LT-Metric tire is 2,105 lbs. At 35psi, those LT305/70R18 KO2's have a Load Limit of 2,470 lbs.

Just FYI.

At 35psi, those LT305/70R18 KO2's have a Load Limit of 2,470 lbs.

this is Per tire, correct?

If 35psi (RCTIP) covers me up to 8667lbs, what say you about these comments below?

this is Per tire, correct?

If 35psi (RCTIP) covers me up to 8667lbs, what say you about these comments below?

Yes, per tire.

Anyone is free to INCREASE tire pressure to suit their personal whims/preferences. Going BELOW RCTIP, however, is always a bad idea.

HTH

I have 2 Yakama skyboxes (16 and 18). They are easy to take on and off and securely attach. Iā€™ve had the 16 for 10 years and the 18 for 5 (only use the 18 with the 16 when hauling 10-12 pairs of skis and need >195 cm for speed events) Just did 7 days and ~3k miles, much off road and above the arctic circle with the 16 on top.

View attachment 2433529

Does the roof cargo box interfere w the tailgate opening? I have a ā€˜13 lx w factory bars and I am looking for a roof cargo solution

Does the roof cargo box interfere w the tailgate opening? I have a ā€˜13 lx w factory bars and I am looking for a roof cargo solution
I use yakama round bars with rail-grab feet, I also place the boxes with the outside mounts outside the towers . With this setup on the LX rails It raises the 16 box up just enough so the rear spoiler skims the box, with the 18 it nails it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom