Is anybody running SOA (or lift) w/stockish wheels and dog dishes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am trying to go to a stock wheel or similar looking wheel with a dog dish center cap on my SOA'd 40 with out the tire looking ridulously small. I'm running 37's now that look proportioned so I'd like to stay with at least 35"s.
Is anybody running 35's on a stock looking wheel fitted with dog dish caps? I don't really care what the wheel size is as long as it looks kind of close to the stock steelies and the caps fit.

40 After in driveway (large).jpg

My homework proves you to be correct. I know there is no way I will get there on a stock wheel which is 15x5.5.
My tire guy says pretty much what you said, 12.5" wide tire works on a 9" wheel, 10.5" tire works on a 8" wheel and smaller can work if you push it a bit.
I'm hoping someone found a similar wheel fitting our 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern that is wide enough for a taller tire and all at the same time can fit a similar dog dish center cap.

I think the problem is the stock rims are ~6" wide. That is way too narrow for 35x12.5. I don't recall but I thought 35x12.5 wanted a minimum of 9" wide rim. But 8" does work.

For tire to rim "guestimate", I use the 2/3 rule. Take 2/3 the width of your tire to get your "ideal" rim size. 12.5 => ~8" rim.

You can also do "reverse" to go from rim to tire size: 3/2 of the rim to get tire. 6 => 9" wide tire.

Again you are correct! My tire guy is conservative because of liabilities and your pic proves it.
Widening rims, interesting?!? That sounds above my pay grade. Something new to put in the search bar.

A popular option is getting the stock ones widened. I helped a guy transport a set of rims to get widened 20 years ago... so I can't help you with a recommendation there :(

Your tire guy is a little off though. A 12.5" tire will work on an 8" rim:
View attachment 2469827
The above are 15"x8" wagon wheels with 35x12.5 BFGs.

What I will grant you is that a tire shop may not install them with the vehicle in their bay now days.

Is your 40 lifted or SOA, I can't tell from the pic? Do you have a good side pic on flat ground?

A popular option is getting the stock ones widened. I helped a guy transport a set of rims to get widened 20 years ago... so I can't help you with a recommendation there :(

Your tire guy is a little off though. A 12.5" tire will work on an 8" rim:
View attachment 2469827
The above are 15"x8" wagon wheels with 35x12.5 BFGs.

What I will grant you is that a tire shop may not install them with the vehicle in their bay now days.

36x13.5 iroks on 16x8 Wheel Vintiques Smoothies don't look half bad without caps.
Stock 15" wheels and caps with Q78 swampers look better,are borderline too small but deteriorate on pavement like ice in the Sahara.

013.jpeg

1208.JPG

Great looking 40!
How wide are those 15" wheels, how did you make that work? What size are the swampers?

36x13.5 iroks on 16x8 Wheel Vintiques Smoothies don't look half bad without caps.
Stock 15" wheels and caps with Q78 swampers look better,are borderline too small but deteriorate on pavement like ice in the Sahara.

View attachment 2469873

View attachment 2469870

I think you are describing the same SOA I have. I believe mine was actually done by Proffits one or two owners ago.

It is the "low" springover done in the 90s (shackle reversal using stock hangers in the front and through the frame for the shackle)

I'm not sure if I have a good side picture of it. The above picture was from about 97 ;)

Great looking 40!
How wide are those 15" wheels, how did you make that work? What size are the swampers?
The Q78 swampers are 35.5" x 10.5".The wheels are OEM Toyota.15" x 5.5".They fit just fine with a SOA.

35-10.5x15 swamper boggers on stk wheels, I blow the beads if I have the psi below 15lbs. . The spare is a swamper tslsx 36-12.50 on 15x8 wheel, I ran those for yrs.

2020-10-01 19.43.39.jpg

Great to know that a 35x 10.5 can work on a stock 15X5.5 wheel but now my challenge will be to find a much more street happy tire. Prefer a AT but if that can’t be found, a radial MT. Swampers won’t work for my application.

Great to know that a 35x 10.5 can work on a stock 15X5.5 wheel but now my challenge will be to find a much more street happy tire. Prefer a AT but if that can’t be found, a radial MT. Swampers won’t work for my application.
If you happen to find a 35" or bigger x 10.5 tire for a 15" rim- that is not a Swamper or racing tire-please post your findings.I tried and think I would have better luck finding the Leprechaun from the Lucky Charms cereal commercial than I did finding a tire

I absolutely will!

If you happen to find a 35" or bigger x 10.5 tire for a 15" rim- that is not a Swamper or racing tire-please post your findings.I tried and think I would have better luck finding the Leprechaun from the Lucky Charms cereal commercial than I did finding a tire

Dog dish caps don’t work on those, great looking but I want the original center caps.

Do tell.
Are those stock 15x5.5 that have been cut and widened? How much and by who?

QUOTE="pbgbottle, post: 13438540, member: 2638"]
Yep. ,..
I think I may be also painting my rims black and cage.

,,View attachment 2470462
[/QUOTE]

Do you drive these 35x10.5x15 boggers on paved roads much? If so, what is your review?

35-10.5x15 swamper boggers on stk wheels, I blow the beads if I have the psi below 15lbs. . The spare is a swamper tslsx 36-12.50 on 15x8 wheel, I ran those for yrs.

View attachment 2470105

Other than wearing out quick, what are the Q87 road manners like?

The Q78 swampers are 35.5" x 10.5".The wheels are OEM Toyota.15" x 5.5".They fit just fine with a SOA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom