My new fall collection - 2010 GX 460 Premium (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thank you forum for guiding me on the purchase on the price too! Here is my GX that i picked up 2 weeks back in LA.

2010 GX 460 Premium - 168,000 miles / $16.8K + taxes.

Drove around 1000 miles, mostly home-office-home, and light off-roading around the Big Pines area - CA.

Here are some pictures of the GX.

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-17 at 7.51.23 PM(2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-17 at 7.51.23 PM(1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-17 at 7.51.23 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-17 at 7.51.22 PM(1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-17 at 7.51.22 PM.jpeg

Update : After 1000 miles of driving, my engine was making some whirling noise and couldnt crank up. I initially thought to be a starter issue, but unfortunately the Fuel Pump failed :( Today i left it with the local mechanic to fix it. I got an estimate of $1050 ( ~$485 for the Fuel Pump assembly kit, and rest are labor charges). Quite expensive, didnt expect this.
Though Lexus of Thousand Oaks sold the GX As-Is, but I was told all the inspection was performed. Sad to see the fuel pump conk off in just 10 days post purchase.

Anyways, once i fix this, I intend to make some mods, but baby steps.

Nice looking truck! Bummer about the fuel pump. Labor seems kinda high. I wonder if the fuel pump can be accessed through the floor like my 80 series?

Nice looking truck! Bummer about the fuel pump. Labor seems kinda high. I wonder if the fuel pump can be accessed through the floor like my 80 series?
@vegasfj40 Thanks! But yes, fuel pump was a let down. the mechanic quoted me 4 hours of labor @$125/Hr...pretty high. And i dont have a choice to shop around. Once i fix this, I need to find a reliable mechanic who might charge me less or around the $70/Hr...

The fuel tank most likely should be accessible thru the floor...not very sure though

Nice rig! Bummer about the fuel pump. :(

Only electrical connections can be accessed through the floor panel. Tank still needs to be dropped for fuel pump/sending unit swap according to a dealer tech on GXOR.

Congrats and welcome to the club! Looks like a real clean GX, even for the miles.

Hopefully the fuel pump is the only issue you have for a long long time! To find the positive, at least it didn't fail on you while you were on a long road trip or out in the middle of the sticks!

@Armed in Utah - Thank you! Hope the rig lasts for another 200K miles...
Lexus/Toyota products WILL last hundreds of thousands of miles through the main drive train! But sometimes there are little things that will go bad and need to be addressed. Although I believe Lexus/Toyota vehicles are the best on the planet, they are sometimes prone to minor issues, albeit, a minor issue on a Lexus may be a four figure repair bill. But in the long run, it's a LOT cheaper than having a vehicle begin to fail after 4, 5, 6 years of ownership and have to go and purchase another new one! The only problem with Lexus/Toyota's is that they last SOOO long that the styling becomes outdated before they start falling apart! o_O

@vegasfj40 Thanks! But yes, fuel pump was a let down. the mechanic quoted me 4 hours of labor @$125/Hr...pretty high. And i dont have a choice to shop around. Once i fix this, I need to find a reliable mechanic who might charge me less or around the $70/Hr...

The fuel tank most likely should be accessible thru the floor...not very sure though
Nice rig! Bought mine in Glendale. Also, good luck trying to find someone that does good work for under $100/hr in SoCal.

Nice rig! Bought mine in Glendale. Also, good luck trying to find someone that does good work for under $100/hr in SoCal.
Thanks bud!! haha...i agree...less than $100/hr in SoCal would be a dream come true.

Folks: Finally I got my baby back. Here is a picture of the invoice. I felt the mechanic overcharged me by $100 on the parts and definitely 30-40% higher on the labor.
Lessons learnt - procure the part yourself. But i was in a hurry to get it fixed.

Strangely, the mechanic told me the gas tank was almost empty, and that the fuel pump may have been damaged coz of that. He replaced with a new fuel pump, and a fuel tank sending unit. He said the fuel gauge/floater works accurately now. I'm just hoping the 'Fuel Pump' was really damaged, and not the case of empty gas tank that made me think it's something to do with the fuel pump. Hopefully I was not fleeced here.

Today i drove from Canyon Country, CA to Acton, CA (~50 miles round trip) and the rig drove butter smooth. Overall I'm happy to have my rig back.

Fuel Pump Repair.jpg

Reactions: r2m
Congrats and welcome to the club! Looks like a real clean GX, even for the miles.

Hopefully the fuel pump is the only issue you have for a long long time! To find the positive, at least it didn't fail on you while you were on a long road trip or out in the middle of the sticks!
@jmanscotch - Thanks! Fuel pump is fixed now. The mechanic told me the rig is an excellent condition for the miles it has, and told me this vehicle shld easily last another 200,000 miles...except for the occasional maintenance expenses.

Congrats on the clean truck. Sucks about the pump but you go it back in short order and hopefully you won't have any other issues for a long time to come. $125/hr for labor is nuts!!!

Congrats on the clean truck. Sucks about the pump but you go it back in short order and hopefully you won't have any other issues for a long time to come. $125/hr for labor is nuts!!!
Thanks @Tex68w . Yeah, happy that i got it back. seriously this $125/hr boils my blood. How are the labor charges in TX?

Thanks @Tex68w . Yeah, happy that i got it back. seriously this $125/hr boils my blood. How are the labor charges in TX?

They vary, I've seen shop rates from as low as $65/hr all the way up to $115/hr. It really just depends on your location and/or the type of shop/service. Lucky for me the worst I've paid in the past few years is $95/hr and even that felt like a slight violation lol.

For the West coast $125 is pretty standard hr/rate.

I perform 95% of my maintenance but the one item I paid the dealership to to perform was the first fuel pump on my 2000 Tacoma and it cost just under 1k. Second time it went I replaced it myself. I installed a factory Toyota pump, I felt the previous one might have not been OEM. Mind you my Taco had 392,000 miles.
That being said a floor jack is your best friend or better yet a transmission jack.

They vary, I've seen shop rates from as low as $65/hr all the way up to $115/hr. It really just depends on your location and/or the type of shop/service. Lucky for me the worst I've paid in the past few years is $95/hr and even that felt like a slight violation lol.
@Tex68w - Thanks bud. I think I should start learning some basic DIY to avoid paying thru my nose on labor!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom