Talk me into or out of a FJ80 - Bought it! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hmmm... buying a gas station. That sounds like a pretty good option for most of us. Thanks for the suggestion!

I bet the fzj get's worse mileage than your yukon šŸ˜®

Sounds like a good buy to me if you're the type that doesn't get antsy having multiple cars sitting around (and it sounds like you aren't).

I also find the 1fz to be adequate for the vehicle in stock or semi-stock form. I would call a 20r mini truck or an fj60 "underpowered"

@matzell I think you should do what you want. Personally, I have enjoyed ownership of my 80 series. It has served me well, been enjoyable to work on because I think the designers were actual working engineers, and taken me places I could not go in a F150. I am running a 2ā€ lift with no corrections required, 285 AT tires that I feel are too darn wide, and manual cloth seats out of a 1994. Each repair or modification takes me closer to simplifying the rig. If it isnā€™t needed to start or stop the rig, it may be taken out at some point. Living in a 40 series is very different than an 80. I see no compromises in the 80 for your intended purposes.

If you have the shop and the parts (and it sounds like you do), I say buy it. Ultimately it's all about what you want though. You know your own taste.

Nonetheless ,they were enjoyed and that really is the point. If it makes you happy, enjoy it the way you want and never look back!

Completely agree. Fact of the matter is these are enthusiast vehicles now and you should enjoy it the way you want to, not necessarily the way someone online tells you.

Let me ask another question. Why an 80 over a 100 or say 5th gen 4runner? I know straight axles but what else. None of them get good fuel economy so lets rule that out. I have driven my Yukon all over the country but only put 3600 miles on it last year. It gets about 10/16 for fuel economy, but it has over 300 horses!, being all wheel drive it handles quite well too and will drift the corners.

Here are a few pics

E37B1351-28DD-4408-BB10-7D55E31A990D.jpeg

D4C049C9-3CF5-43E9-B19F-0790E2F8AD0F.jpeg

C819A886-7E51-4C2B-A4D2-F4CFC807FE9A.jpeg

@matzell - Sounds like you have day-tripping covered - Ultra4 ridiculous and FJ40 lightweight competence.
2 options as I see it:
1) Getting into lengthy overlanding, a 3xl 80 is a great choice.
2) Flipping for the resale - '97 3xl - is THE ONE that 'big money' is looking for.

Points about enthusiast vehicles and vehicle appreciations are well-taken, but I would get a 100 series (same poor gas mileage, but with V8 power). I'd also consider a late model 4runner (nearly the same size and weight as an 80) just for the modern conveniences. Yes, the 80 is a cool vehicle, but if you want non-cruiserheads to stare at you when going on a milk run, get a 60 series.

At the end of the day, like others have mentioned, it's your call. If you want an 80 because you want something different from the 40 series, then I get it. If you have the coin and time to take care of it, then get it. But you have been around cruisers long enough to know that if you don't have an ounce of passion for the 80 at this point, then the purchase is likely to be pointless.

If all you're gonna do is drive it mostly as-is then I think the 80 is kinda wasted. It's a really cool vehicle but you already have other cruisers and the 80's strengths lie in areas covered by your other vehicles. In my mind, the reason the 80 is unique is the ability to go places a lot of production vehicles can't and then jump on the road and go 80 mph. You don't have to tow a trailer for a dedicated 4x4 and you also don't get turned back by obstacles as often as a run-of-the-mill SUV. But...I used to have a bone stock 3rd gen 4runner that I took places you ought not go without a buddy or a winch and it got me there and back on street tires and no lockers. So unless your plan is 1.) Engine swap 2.) Collectible or 3.) Wheeling rig (which you said no to) then I don't know if it's a good fit.

Let me ask another question. Why an 80 over a 100 or say 5th gen 4runner? I know straight axles but what else. None of them get good fuel economy so lets rule that out. I have driven my Yukon all over the country but only put 3600 miles on it last year. It gets about 10/16 for fuel economy, but it has over 300 horses!, being all wheel drive it handles quite well too and will drift the corners.

100s and 4Runners are very, very good rigs and are easy driving, but they severely lack fun factor and soul. The 80 has more fun factor and a little soul.

Personally, I feel they are the bridge between the old world and new. Iā€™ve considered a V8 4Runner, but thereā€™s very little out there regarding engine rebuilding.

If that 80 is just languishing away, some one should buy it. Itā€™s in great looking shape and they are slowly disappearing.

Most of these reasons will not apply if you are just going to DD it, but IMO - lockers from the factory as an option, better frame, last cruiser with a bullet proof boat anchor I6, ability to fit 35s/even 37s quite easily, absolute perfect overall size, tangible it-factor/character whatever you want to call it, rapidly increasing value, are all huge reasons for me. It's a cruiser that feels like a cruiser. The 100 and 4Runner simply don't.

I need to point out that this 80 is not currently for sale and is DD by its owner. I just had it here for some work. He and his wife have mentioned selling it and it has interest me.

The 62 parked in front of it is waiting on some parts from Australia to come in and then I have some serious work to do to it along with some frame repair. I have a great looking red with woodgrain siding 62 coming in on monday for a bunch of re-seal work too. The only Land Cruisers I own are 40 series, 5 total and 6 if you count my race car.

I need to point out that this 80 is not currently for sale and is DD by its owner. I just had it here for some work. He and his wife have mentioned selling it and it has interest me.

The 62 parked in front of it is waiting on some parts from Australia to come in and then I have some serious work to do to it along with some frame repair. I have a great looking red with woodgrain siding 62 coming in on Monday for a bunch of re-seal work too. The only Land Cruisers I own are 40 series, 5 total and 6 if you count my race car.

Your race care doesn't count and no one likes an odd number of cruisers. Buy the 80 to even it up. But if you don't, and it's for sale, please tell me.

At this point I've had a few 60s, a 40, a 100, and two fzj80s. The only one I still have is an 80. I love it, but I couldn't give you a single "good" reason to buy one. You either want one or you don't. You like them or you don't. Compared to a 100 the 80 is worse at everything other than some perfect rock crawling situations and cool factor. That being said I sold my 100 and kept my 80 - so what do I know?

Last edited:

The 62 parked in front of it is waiting on some parts from Australia to come in and then I have some serious work to do to it along with some frame repair. I have a great looking red with woodgrain siding 62 coming in on monday for a bunch of re-seal work too. The only Land Cruisers I own are 40 series, 5 total and 6 if you count my race car.

Throw some money at them. Itā€™s better off with someone like you who will take care of it and drive it, rather than someone who wonā€™t.

Holy smokes, you own 5 40's!? Make way people, the man will infect you! Haha

The late model 80 is the pinnacle of 4wd vehicles ever made available in the US. Completely over engineered for our market. I mean seriously, how many passenger vehicle engines were made to be rebuilt 3 times at ~300,000 mile intervals.

The 80 is a good vehicle for your collection. The Collector Edition is getting hard to find and will hold, if not increase in value. It has much more room for camping/race gear and is more comfortable to drive than the 40. The 80 is a good looking girl, especially after minor mods and new shoes. After installing 35ā€™s and your motor/trans combo it will be a versatile rig for camping, towing, or playing most anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom