96 FJ80 - Tire Sizes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

Newish LC owner. I was hoping someone could tell me the range of tire options I can have on my 96 LC on stock rims (16 inch alloys). The truck is at stock ride height and I am looking for something with a bit of an aggressive look but do not want to spend a ton of money. Any tips would be much appreciated. Pictures of the truck are below. Thank you in advance.

IMG_9587 4.JPG

33's are a great option for stock height and to fill the wheel well better than the stock 31" tires. You can fit up to 35" without a lift, but they fill that space and you'll notice a loss in performance. The most common "aggressive look without loss of handling and power" is a 1.5" to 2" lift with 33's.

33's are a great option for stock height and to fill the wheel well better than the stock 31" tires. You can fit up to 35" without a lift, but they fill that space and you'll notice a loss in performance. The most common "aggressive look without loss of handling and power" is a 1.5" to 2" lift with 33's.

Thank you MDarius. Do you know the tire size I should be searching for on Tire Rack for the 33's? Any brands that you recommend?

Thank you MDarius. Do you know the tire size I should be searching for on Tire Rack for the 33's? Any brands that you recommend?
285/75-16 are 33's. 305's get closer to - or even eclipse- 34". Not that it's a life changer anyway.
Plus tires are like Levi's 501's. You can't go by the size printed on the label. You have to try them on for fit.
Or in this case, just know to ask the tire people their thoughts on actual vs advertised sizes.

I think that size is for 35 inch tires. Would 285/75/16 be the size that would fit m stock rims if I wanted 33 inch tires?
That size fits on your stock wheels and 315 is the step up to 35"

The size is 305/70 R16 that yields an overall tire diameter of 32.8 in the kumho road venture at51

Same size but in a bfg all terrain ko2 is also overall diameter of 32.8

You're welcome. When it comes to brands and which tire within the brand, the opinions are as varied as there are tires. I like my Toyo's (Discount tire is advertising buy 3 get the 4th free. They do this annually), I liked my Coopers. BFG's are always good tires, but you have to like the performance and looks. You have to decide. If you're primarily going to be driving it on the road with a little offroad, get an AT (All terrain) instead of an MT (Mud Terrain). They'll be quieter and smoother on the road.

The tire ply is significant for driving comfort and performance as well. A 10 ply has a rigid sidewall and is great if you are going to be airing down or playing in places with stumps, sticks, and rocks that could damage a sidewall. It will also ride a lot stiffer on the highway. A 2 or 3 ply is fine for mild to moderate trails and feels better on the road, but still gives you the grip and appearance. You'll have to do some research based on how you'll use it and what you want out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom