Newly aquired LJ70 and BJ71 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just acquired 2 new Land Cruisers that need some work. One is an 87' BJ71 (trying to figure out which motor is in this one as there's not a lot of markings) and the other is an LJ70 with the 2L-T (I know there's 2 versions of this and I'm assuming this is the earlier model). I've bought them in non-running condition, the previous owner let them sit for 5 years (were running without issue when parked like they all say) and of course the batteries didn't have a charge and with him having health problems couldn't mess with them so I got them for what I think is a pretty good deal.
I'm looking to find out what I should do before trying to start either of these, the 87' has some rust issues starting with the fuel tank having a pinhole and leaking diesel. I would love to find a replacement fuel tank to put in instead of trying to doctor up the old one.
What are some suggestions? My plan so far is:
1. Fresh Batteries
2. Drop both fuel tanks and drain old diesel/clean each tank
3. Oil change
4. Fuel filter change
5. New glow plugs and possibly new fuel injectors if they are reasonable to obtain
6. New drive belts
6. Inspect the timing belt, replace if needed

Anything you would add to this list? this is just to get them started, I will assess drivetrain, steering and suspension after we get them running.

IMG_5344.jpg

IMG_5345.jpg

IMG_5346.jpg

IMG_5347.jpg

Cool! Any exterior photos? That first one is a 3B engine, which suggests to me that it’s probably a BJ70 since I believe that the BJ71 came with a 13B-T. (Might not be the original engine either). I would hold off on injectors till you’ve gotten them running since they can be a bit expensive and you may not need to do any more than run some cleaner through them. Also, it would be good to just go ahead and replace the timing belt and water pump on the 2L-T.

Cool! Any exterior photos? That first one is a 3B engine, which suggests to me that it’s probably a BJ70 since I believe that the BJ71 came with a 13B-T. (Might not be the original engine either). I would hold off on injectors till you’ve gotten them running since they can be a bit expensive and you may not need to do any more than run some cleaner through them. Also, it would be good to just go ahead and replace the timing belt and water pump on the 2L-T.
I'll get some pics when I'm back at the shop tomorrow. The VIN says BJ71 but you're right, could have been swapped before. The 2L-T has a timing belt replacement sticker from 155K K/M but I can't really make out the date (Currently 228K/M). Where would you source parts like belts/filters/glow plugs?

I generally go to www.back40imports.com for stuff like that. He stocks much of the routine maintenance parts, and it takes the guesswork out of digging through part numbers.

The 2LT is 1989 plus (technically it's a 2LT-II). The rust around the rad cap/coolant fill neck would concern me. Good chance the head is cracked, or was cracked and repaired already. Check the coolant mix/color. Fire it up and watch for bubbles in the expansion tank, or overflowing expansion tank when driving.

The 2LT is 1989 plus (technically it's a 2LT-II). The rust around the rad cap/coolant fill neck would concern me. Good chance the head is cracked, or was cracked and repaired already. Check the coolant mix/color. Fire it up and watch for bubbles in the expansion tank, or overflowing expansion tank when driving.
I'm a ways from cranking either one of them, I will keep that in mind.

My bj74 sat for 4 years with fuel in it waiting for a headgasket repair. In that time, the new crAppy diesel turned to gummy varnish and jacked up the injectors and Injection pump. They cleaned injectors, the pump needed rebuilt. The tank and all lines needed cleaned.

I would start by seeing if you can even turn the engines over by hand with a breaker bar.

Hey y'all, I didn't get much of a response from anyone on my other thread n I'm in need of some 2LT2 Expertise. plz help guys. My dumb 25 year old ass has spent over 7k CAD on this truck (93 Hilux surf, came with a 2LTE that was blown up after Chinese head replacement) and have been wrenchin for weeks, only to have it not start 🙃🙃🙃🙃 PLZ HELP.

I've got the engine in the truck and I modified the harness so that everything plugs in. However I've noticed some differences in my engine. Compared to the 2LTE that was in it, first off mechanical injection pump and alot of stuff is either missing or has been intentionally deleted. The EGR has been removed and blocked off, there are no butterfly valves in the intake, there is just a solid spacer on the intake manifold where there would be a butterfly valve for the EGR system.

The injection pump itself does not have the ASDC or w.e it's called, ( the thing that has coolant lines running to it ) neither does it have any EGR stuff on it. It has one boost compensator on the top with a vacum line going nowhere. I can't seem to make sence of the vacum lines either, the EGR us not there anymore and I'm struggling to understand where this compensator would get either boost/vacum that it needs.

The injection pump itself has only 2 connectors, one is a 1 pin, and the other is 2 pin. I have no idea what these are for. Some sort of fuel cut and spill valve connectors? The harness has a 2 wire section that the previous owner has cut off and one of the wires goes to the single pin connector on the injection pump. The other has just been cut and goes nowhere kinda dangles in the wind.

There are a few other connectors that I've found homes for on the deleted EGR stuff.

Basically every plug in for a connector that the engine physically has on it, has been plugged in .

Went to try and start the truck and nothing. It cranks and cranks and cranks but no sign of firing. See white smoke seeping out of the exhaust but just barely, seems like my engines not getting any fuel. It has good compression.

Im stumped as to why or which wires go where and im having alot of trouble finding info on the wires that go to the injection pump.

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Also if this thread would be better suited somewhere else please let me know or link the thread , thank-you everyone for taking the time to read this essay lol.

Hey y'all, I didn't get much of a response from anyone on my other thread n I'm in need of some 2LT2 Expertise. plz help guys. My dumb 25 year old ass has spent over 7k CAD on this truck (93 Hilux surf, came with a 2LTE that was blown up after Chinese head replacement) and have been wrenchin for weeks, only to have it not start 🙃🙃🙃🙃 PLZ HELP.

I've got the engine in the truck and I modified the harness so that everything plugs in. However I've noticed some differences in my engine. Compared to the 2LTE that was in it, first off mechanical injection pump and alot of stuff is either missing or has been intentionally deleted. The EGR has been removed and blocked off, there are no butterfly valves in the intake, there is just a solid spacer on the intake manifold where there would be a butterfly valve for the EGR system.

The injection pump itself does not have the ASDC or w.e it's called, ( the thing that has coolant lines running to it ) neither does it have any EGR stuff on it. It has one boost compensator on the top with a vacum line going nowhere. I can't seem to make sence of the vacum lines either, the EGR us not there anymore and I'm struggling to understand where this compensator would get either boost/vacum that it needs.

The injection pump itself has only 2 connectors, one is a 1 pin, and the other is 2 pin. I have no idea what these are for. Some sort of fuel cut and spill valve connectors? The harness has a 2 wire section that the previous owner has cut off and one of the wires goes to the single pin connector on the injection pump. The other has just been cut and goes nowhere kinda dangles in the wind.

There are a few other connectors that I've found homes for on the deleted EGR stuff.

Basically every plug in for a connector that the engine physically has on it, has been plugged in .

Went to try and start the truck and nothing. It cranks and cranks and cranks but no sign of firing. See white smoke seeping out of the exhaust but just barely, seems like my engines not getting any fuel. It has good compression.

Im stumped as to why or which wires go where and im having alot of trouble finding info on the wires that go to the injection pump.

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Also if this thread would be better suited somewhere else please let me know or link the thread , thank-you everyone for taking the time to read this essay lol.

You really shouldn't be posting the same thing in three different spots. Keep it to the first thread you started. Otherwise no one will be able to follow what is actually going on and give you useful answers. I recommend editing/deleting all your posts except the first one in the thread you created....

You really shouldn't be posting the same thing in three different spots. Keep it to the first thread you started. Otherwise no one will be able to follow what is actually going on and give you useful answers. I recommend editing/deleting all your posts except the first one in the thread you created....

I figured someone would say this to me but I didn't gain much traction with the first thread just wanted to get some attention but thank-you I mentioned that if this post would be better suited somewhere else feel free to tell me so thankyu.

REmove the boot from your intake manifold. Get a can of WD40 and someone to help you. Have them crank the engine while you spray WD40 in the intake. If it fires and runs from you spraying the WD40 you are spraying in the intake then your timing, valves, compression, and other mechanical things in the engine are OK. You simply aren't getting fuel. If your truck has been run out of fuel it may just need to suck fuel up from the tank to the IP. Keep it running with the WD40 and within 10-20 seconds it should start sucking and pumping diesel enough to run on it's own.

If the above didn't work, and If you have a simple mechanical IP then it will have a connection requiring +12V/+24V(whatever your system is) to open the fuel cutoff solenoid. Ensure you have 12V there when the key is on. Do not check it by sparking the wire to ground, use a multimeter. If you spark it to ground you will instantly pop the fuse. If no voltage, check your fuse in the fusebox on the left kick panel by the clutch pedal. I believe it is labeled "engine". Check all your fuses for GP and realize that the picture diagram may be backward from how you look at it. Ensure you can suck clean diesel from the fuel filter. If not then bypass the fuel filter and try to suck from the line going to the filter. If Yes then get a new filter fill with clean fuel and try again. You go figure out a good way to suck the diesel to check it, or do it the unpleasant way.

If you don't want to use the WD40 trick in the first paragraph, loosen 2 injector lines at the injector and crank it until you have diesel spraying out where they are loose(that means your fuel primed all the way to the injector). Tighten them down and try to crank again. It will fire and run rough on those 2 cylinders until the others catch up.............Really the WD40 trick is easier, but requires 2 people.

I'll get some pics when I'm back at the shop tomorrow. The VIN says BJ71 but you're right, could have been swapped before. The 2L-T has a timing belt replacement sticker from 155K K/M but I can't really make out the date (Currently 228K/M). Where would you source parts like belts/filters/glow plugs?

Many (or all?) of the '87 Canadian BJ70's have BJ71 in the VIN. Mine is like that and I have read about a few others as well. They all came with the NA 3b.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom