Buying a Clutch Disc Kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking to buy a clutch disc kit online for a 1979 FJ40. I was wondering if there is a big difference between the cheap ones and the more expensive ones. Are there any inexpensive clutches that are good or is it worth it to spend the extra money. Are there any brands in particular that you would recommend? I see Specter offers an Extreme Clutch Disc. Is there a big difference between that one and a normal one? Thanks.

luk clutches are very good. centerforce is apparently good too but also can apparently be tricky to set up. i have one from advancadapters for my build but haven’t started it or adjusted things yet so i may hate it. we’ll see!

is it for a stock set up or an engine swap?

Depends on how hard you drive. Happy with my Excedy Safari HD clutch kit. The original one went 40 years. You quickly get used to the heavier pedal feel. Changing the clutch isn't a small job so I would go for quality. You may want to consider changing the rear main seal and the rubber cover for the slave cylinder while you are at it.

@OTRAMM is changing my clutch as I type this. The rear main seal, transmission input shaft seal and transmission to transfer case seal are all getting replaced along with the clutch.

Last edited:
luk clutches are very good.

@Poser recommended a LUK clutch to me when I installed the H41 and Orion that he built for me, and it has held up well to all kinds of abuse over the last 8-9 years. Will likely buy one again when the time comes.

Hello everyone. I bought a clutch kit from Coolcruisers as part of an engine swap on my 1980 FJ40. We bought the following kit: Clutch Kit - STD - 8/74-8/87 - 4-Spd- w/FREE Rear Main Seal

When we received the kit, and I compared it with my mechanic to the old clutch, the sizing of the center hole is different. Is this an issue? Is it possible I purchased the wrong one? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
20201105_101153-clutch kit.jpg

For Chevota's you might find some interesting reading at ebay #264808317199- - -just saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom