Intermittent Starting Issues - FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1985 FJ60 that randomly does not start. It must be something electrical because it will start most of the time with no issues. The battery is new and charged, the post connections are tight. All the running lights, AC, radio, etc come on as normal but when I turn the key there is nothing. This happens sometimes on the first attempt and other times has happened after I drive it and then try to restart.

Thinking it could be the ignition coil or something related that sends the signal to the starter. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

If you turn the key and Mr. Starter ignores you, time for a new starter if you can't remember the last time it was replaced.
Or if you want to take it apart, it might be fixable if you're into tinkering.

I have a 1985 FJ60 that randomly does not start. It must be something electrical because it will start most of the time with no issues. The battery is new and charged, the post connections are tight. All the running lights, AC, radio, etc come on as normal but when I turn the key there is nothing. This happens sometimes on the first attempt and other times has happened after I drive it and then try to restart.

Thinking it could be the ignition coil or something related that sends the signal to the starter. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Sounds like the starter. Next time you turn the key and no start... tap the starter a couple of times... then try to start. If it starts... replace the starter....

Do you here the starter solenoid clicking when it doesn't start?

No. I hear nothing. Its almost like its disconnected somewhere between the keyed ignition and the starter (unless it's the starter itself)

If you turn the key and just get silence I wouldn't assume the starter until I did my testing an verified it. If you turn the key to the crank position and nothing happens do all the lights dim? A better way to check this is to hook a meter to the battery to read the voltage and try cranking. If when you turn the key and nothing happens but the battery voltage drops then you know that your starter trigger circuit is working but the starter is not firing....and sounds like its a starter solenoid issue. If the starter itself were bad you should still hear the solenoid firing (clicking).

I know you said the battery connections are tight but I'd pull them off, make sure the posts and inside of the terminals are clean and then reinstall. Inspect the condition of your battery ground and power cables where they connect to the terminals and check any ground connections where they attach to the body or engine.
Also inspect your fusible link.

next time you turn the key and nothing happens try wacking the outside of the starter with a block of wood. give it a good womp and then see if it does anything when you try to start. If it turns after a hit or two then definitely a starter issue.

If you turn the key and just get silence I wouldn't assume the starter until I did my testing an verified it. If you turn the key to the crank position and nothing happens do all the lights dim? A better way to check this is to hook a meter to the battery to read the voltage and try cranking. If when you turn the key and nothing happens but the battery voltage drops then you know that your starter trigger circuit is working but the starter is not firing....and sounds like its a starter solenoid issue. If the starter itself were bad you should still hear the solenoid firing (clicking).

I know you said the battery connections are tight but I'd pull them off, make sure the posts and inside of the terminals are clean and then reinstall. Inspect the condition of your battery ground and power cables where they connect to the terminals and check any ground connections where they attach to the body or engine.
Also inspect your fusible link.

next time you turn the key and nothing happens try wacking the outside of the starter with a block of wood. give it a good womp and then see if it does anything when you try to start. If it turns after a hit or two then definitely a starter issue.
Wow thank you so much for the thorough run down of potential causes! Really appreciate it!

This situation comes up a few times a year ---

Most likely is the starter, but if you rule that out, next suspect is the Ignition Switch - NOT the key tumbler, but the electrical switch behind it that directs current to the different circuits as you turn the key. There are contacts that wear and after some 20K cycles, can cause exactly this situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom