Wits End Turbo Owners (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy shoehorning, Batman :eek:

Just had a realization that I'm still running the LT MAF with the turbo and i don't think any of the other turbo owners doing this. So, this could be a potential cause of P0171 and/or the lack of boost buildup. I'll switch it back to OEM MAF this weekend, assuming I can find it!

Just had a realization that I'm still running the LT MAF with the turbo and i don't think any of the other turbo owners doing this. So, this could be a potential cause of P0171 and/or the lack of boost buildup. I'll switch it back to OEM MAF this weekend, assuming I can find it!

Correct, not tested. For those that I have asked I've repeatedly said not to use it due to lack of testing.

Correct, not tested. For those that I have asked I've repeatedly said not to use it due to lack of testing.
I am using it, do not recall hearing not to use it, but my wife says I am hard of listening from time to time. No problems that I am aware of after putting 1500 miles on the turbo.

The only problem I had with it was when I dropped the sensor on the garage floor and damaged it when I took it out of the box. Had to buy another one. Expensive fumble...

Joey, you OK up in Medford? Just read that a big fire was heading into town up there.

The fire situation is a freaking mess. Four fires in the Rogue Valley and two have a potential to really f*** up my life 😞
What you need is one of those LC fire trucks--or maybe a WE conversion kit. Could be a market for those in the PNW. Bonus: hit the lights/siren and people get out of your way...

The fire situation is a freaking mess. Four fires in the Rogue Valley and two have a potential to really f*** up my life 😞
Lost my house in the Tubb's fire in Santa Rosa in 2017. Had to evac the new house for two weeks last year due to another fire.

If you think your house could be threatened, a few things to do. Walk the house and video each room to document for insurance. If you have time, open each closet, each cabinet, each drawer. That would help with an itemized list of personal property. Do not wait to pack a go bag, do that now. Put important documents in there, including your insurance policy docs. Also, make sure to pack any medications you would need if you are away for up to two weeks. Make a plan with the family of how you would evac, where the rally point would be if separated.

The things I miss the most from before the fire are the photos we lost that were not on the cloud. Make sure to pack those. Also, my 4Runner, wish I could have gotten that out.

Take care,

Mike

Good info Mike, fires are one of those things that you can prepare for. I live in wildland mountain so fire season puts all of on high alert. I'm usually read with the bug out totes and the camper ready to be hitched for a quick bail. I bulldozed a second escape route from the back of the house to the dirt road below, just in case, I'm trapped. I hope Joey won't have to deal with a fire, on top of the life stressor he already has currently. 🙏

I finally got around to installing my louvered hood panel.

I don’t anticipate it making my engine run any cooler, but more to evacuate heat from under the hood. With the extra piping for the turbo under the hood, this should help lower engine bay temps.

All of my rubber, plastic, wiring, etc should be happier with the cooler temperatures.

install was a breeze. I used the provided paper template to cut the under-hood insulation with scissors.
Once that was removed, I used an angle grinder & jigsaw to cut away the exposed sheet metal sections, but not cutting through the hood bracing.
I drilled the holes and installed the provided screws. A few of the bolt holes lined up & went into the hood bracing. Those few holes I used rivets to secure.

24A8377D-1DBA-4A9D-BB65-1FE308CA5449.jpeg
9D863B77-9AF8-44E8-A2EB-5DF948EC936E.jpeg
87F165AF-6D69-4293-B464-E4E8687770AA.jpeg

Coupla things:
1) Changed the stock new gen blue hub fluid to 20k from stock. Brownish goo came out. put 50ml of 20k in. Temps are 8-10* cooler on average. Otherwise 20k old cooling system. Stoked on that.
2) Oil feed line at top of turbo worked itself "hand tight". Happened to notice it was loose and pulled the feed line, re-tightened the insert into the turbo, then reattached feed line. I had checked this multiple times but recommend you all keep an eye on yours as well. Looked like the thread sealant had cooked out of the threads loosening it up. Wonder if tight temp thread sealant is a thing.
3) I have an obnoxious rattle under acceleration. Can't find it. Probably not turbo related but its going to drive me insane.

Love this turbo so much. Its such a game changer for the 80.

Found my rattle.
Exhaust connection between cats was finger tight/ loose. Exhaust shop who did my weld must have not bothered to snug it down.
Sure it was a huge leak.

Should probably check that gasket now that I cranked it down tighter than I should have :worms:

Found my rattle.
Exhaust connection between cats was finger tight/ loose. Exhaust shop who did my weld must have not bothered to snug it down.
Sure it was a huge leak.

Should probably check that gasket now that I cranked it down tighter than I should have :worms:

doh

@NLXTACY

I received my annual registration in the mail today. It is due in November.

of course it needs a SMOG Check too. 😕

Any update on SEMA & SMOG Certification process?
I am curious on this also. Although I am registered outside of an Air Quality Management Zone, I would like to get the CARB approval in case that falls through at some point.

I finally installed an air/oil separator on the turbo side of the PCV and managed to collect a fair amount of oil from a trip this past weekend. I have two of these things but the new one seems to be collecting more than the older one on the other side of the valve cover.

1602595280946.png

1602595333098.png

dang that a lot of oil. probably time for me to get one too

Yeah, that was my thought exactly. My uneducated guess is that the vac force is MUCH stronger due to the compressor sucking like a mofo :)

Well - finally threw my first turbo related CEL. P0172 - System too rich bank 1.

This was after driving up rattlesnake pass outside of SLC. Cleared the CEL and it hasn't come back.
Spent the last week driving from Seattle - Zion (UT) straights through, across UT over the week, then shot back across to Seattle in a day.
On the drive out in high heat had a few odd idle issues. Pulled into a gas station near pendleton OR and the engine stuttered and almost died but keyed off before it could freak out.
Idle is now a bit rough on cold starts. Going to start looking for post turbo leaks, but no evidence of any and a somewhat "new" motor with all new OEM parts.

Anyone else run into this?

Which unit is that?

if you're referring to the air/separator, it's a Kobalt unit from Lowe's I had laying around.

Well - finally threw my first turbo related CEL. P0172 - System too rich bank 1.

This was after driving up rattlesnake pass outside of SLC. Cleared the CEL and it hasn't come back.
Spent the last week driving from Seattle - Zion (UT) straights through, across UT over the week, then shot back across to Seattle in a day.
On the drive out in high heat had a few odd idle issues. Pulled into a gas station near pendleton OR and the engine stuttered and almost died but keyed off before it could freak out.
Idle is now a bit rough on cold starts. Going to start looking for post turbo leaks, but no evidence of any and a somewhat "new" motor with all new OEM parts.

Anyone else run into this?

Just noodling out loud here....too rich means too much fuel so are you thinking that the pressurized air is leaking out before going into the throttle body? You have only two places that can do this at the bends, unless the TBI has gasket leaks or intake manifold gasket is leaking. Since you rebuilt the engine, I wouldn't think that'd be the case. :hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom