El cheapo dual diaphragm brake booster...anybody try one? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Was looking for brake booster for my 81 FJ40 and came upon for $85 on EBay. Anybody tried one of these? Looks like the right part.
booster.jpg

I know some on here have bought carbs for under 100.00 and have been pleased. It certainly is worth a try.

I know some on here have bought carbs for under 100.00 and have been pleased. It certainly is worth a try.

not going is slightly less concerning than not stopping.

not going is slightly less concerning than not stopping.

It is a power booster. I have had them fail and you still have brakes, they are just harder without assist. Perhaps you are thinking of the master cylinder? Also, they have 2 reservoirs, one front ,one back because of safety. Older cars had only one , and the auto industry adder the 2 for good reason.

im well aware of what it is and what it does......having one fail, unexpectedly at an opportune time, perhaps when some one other than you driving it, is good enough reason not to go cheap with brakes.

It is a power booster. I have had them fail and you still have brakes, they are just harder without assist. Perhaps you are thinking of the master cylinder? Also, they have 2 reservoirs, one front ,one back because of safety. Older cars had only one , and the auto industry adder the 2 for good reason.
Some of us have been talking brake boosters here for a long time. Chances are these "USA Stock" sellers have never set foot in a Cruiser. I've yet to see them post a photo of their booster in an actual car. I put a "buyer beware" note in my eBay listing after several of them copied and pasted text from my product description. As someone who's gone through the product development process, my recommendation would be: Save money on paint, but buy brake parts like your life depends on it.

Last edited:
Perhaps you are thinking of the master cylinder? Also, they have 2 reservoirs, one front ,one back because of safety. Older cars had only one , and the auto industry adder the 2 for good reason.

Believe it was 8/80 Toyota went back to a single reservoir that fed both front and back circuits. So had two circuits but only a single reservoir feeding them. Any major failure like what happened to the FJ45LV around twelve years and the reservoir would be empty pretty quick. Even with a float to check the fluid level reservoir a cut brake line like what happened in the LV the brake warning light would come on just as the brakes were failing.

Believe it was 8/80 Toyota went back to a single reservoir that fed both front and back circuits. So had two circuits but only a single reservoir feeding them. Any major failure like what happened to the FJ45LV around twelve years and the reservoir would be empty pretty quick. Even with a float to check the fluid level reservoir a cut brake line like what happened in the LV the brake warning light would come on just as the brakes were failing.

I did see some manufacturers did go with reservoir feeding 2 circuits and to me it defeated the whole purpose.

im well aware of what it is and what it does......having one fail, unexpectedly at an opportune time, perhaps when some one other than you driving it, is good enough reason not to go cheap with brakes.

I drove on a failed booster for over nine months. Until I had the time to remove it and send in for a rebuild. When I got it back the first few stops I did were violent. I had forgotten the amount of assist that a working one provided. Looking back at older cars with single circuit , the design created the "emergency" brake system which is still in use.

Some of us have been talking brake boosters here for a long time. Chances are these "USA Stock" sellers have never set foot in a Cruiser. I've yet to see them post a photo of their booster in an actual car. I put a "buyer beware" note in my eBay listing after several of them copied and pasted text from my product description. As someone who's gone through the product development process, my recommendation would be: Save money on paint, but buy brake parts like your life depends on it.

Are you suggesting the ones under 100.00 are a non-fit and/or bad quality ? Also, does anyone really know where any of these parts come from. I believe even Japan is sourcing from outside as well.

I can’t remember exactly how much I paid, but I paid a lot less than that for mine at a pic-n-pull. It’s out of an early to mid 90s Toyota p/u and it went in without any significant mods. Stops my 35s just nicely with 4wheel discs on mountain passes. Not for the purists, but if your bargain shopping you’re likely not a purist.

Doesn't seem like a very complex part to me...as long as it doesn't leak and produces force. I'm sure it comes from China, but so does your cell phone and computer. I was just wondering if the difference in quality is worth double or triple the price. I guess we don't know unless someone has tried one.

Check the return policy first.

I've bought a distributor, carburetor and radiator from similar ebay / amazon sources, distributor and carb worked, still have some issues, but were reliable. The radiator didn't really even come close to fitting (seriously, how hard is it?), returned, full refund, couple hours wasted.

As far as "coming from China", having discussed with many people, some with lots of experience, it's clearly not that they can't make quality products... There's just not as much profit in that, unless they can build up a reputation and charge more for a brand name. All the stuff you have made there that works great, probably from some major brand that's spent a fortune in marketing and sees value in creating a quality product. Not a no named ebay seller... (one story I heard, I think from an electrical switch comany, i.e. household light switches, that setup manufacturing in China found products failing QA being sold on the side as counterfeits).

Thanks...can't get an OEM part or even rebuild kit. So bottom line is that you're gonna get some aftermarket stuff either for rebuild or new. At least there is something available....unlike a few years ago. If somebody has a better idea...holler.

Just a brake booster buy it and try out. Please report back.
now if it was a master from some wrecked vehicle I might question your sanity but a simple booster is a non event.

Too late...went back to get one and all sold. Guess somebody decided to give them a try. Maybe next time I'll buy first and post second.
;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom