#3 Gray 62 bodywork and paint (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I made new gutter pieces today and all the sand blasting is done. The rust is all cleaned off, ready for these to install.

7E0175C7-FFA1-40FD-8E58-6E9274FCF05E.jpeg
42451BE9-8945-4ADA-9CCC-895694EBC828.jpeg

Found more rust in the other rocker. Not bad but I need to deal with it today. I have another hood but it’s covered in hail damage, so I’m cutting the front off and welding it on the OG hood. I have been working on the roof lately.

1FD8F70C-6015-484A-8233-DB3B09F31D7B.jpeg
36E07ACB-E5F0-46A1-AEA8-FB50E85423DC.jpeg
FFE78708-8475-451E-B36D-761EF24658E0.jpeg

I finished the gutters finally. Welded on the new gutter pieces I made for the A pillars, and they look great!

So, rust was creeping out of the lower part of the gutters and in the top part. I removed the seam sealer and sand blasted thoroughly. Next, I soaked the gutters with POR 15 Rust Remover and sprayed it up in the underneath side, I also repeated this process with POR 15 Metal Prep. Finally, I used POR 15 aerosol and was able to spray it deep up into the lower side of the gutter seam. After it’s sprayed, I wipe the paint off with thinner leaving only paint in the seam. It worked really well. I did the same process in the top also. There was not enough budget to remove the roof, so this was the best alternative and I think it worked out really well. I will seal it up with seam sealer and move on. Too much text, nobody is going to read all this nonsense 🥱

70F58EE5-0193-45B4-B149-DB7BFFC01FDC.jpeg
D6624396-E0AB-4483-B5B3-7FEC1FE72C31.jpeg
5A757118-D41D-4833-8FBB-44476223F63B.jpeg

I read it all. I found it scary. First because of rust on my own vehicle that I'm not aware of and second, because how few bodymen that can do your level of work, and third, how much time and money to do it or get it done well.

I read it all. I found it scary. First because of rust on my own vehicle that I'm not aware of and second, because how few bodymen that can do your level of work, and third, how much time and money to do it or get it done well.
I hear you, and thank you! That means a lot.

I remember when I was little (the 70's), my Ol' Man was doing bodywork on a 56 Chevy. Funny how that car then was younger then then the 60 (you are working on) is now.

Lots happening the last few days. I had some help today so two vehicles were worked on!!

Today, I discovered more sneaky rust hiding under the roof skin in the gutter. I had to grind part of the roof skin away to remove it. Then POR 15 treatment in those areas. The cowl filler is mostly done and the hood filler is done where I welded on the new front piece. That turned out nice. Also, I have been working on the rear quarters, block sanding the filler. There were several places in the body lined that were dented, so that it tedious. Epoxy primer is calling, and so is the paint booth.

633977E3-C6C1-4CE7-9431-75217967BDA9.jpeg
246796F4-D4EF-49F3-B48E-DF31B7903E40.jpeg
04235A9A-F3E2-4EBF-B116-0F968ECFE0C1.jpeg
EE6B50EE-C86E-4032-A94D-09E36F67B356.jpeg

I'm sure you're planning on it, but make sure to get at the backside (inside) of the roof skin/gutter seam with some rust converter and rust inhibitor.

I'm sure you're planning on it, but make sure to get at the backside (inside) of the roof skin/gutter seam with some rust converter and rust inhibitor.
You mean from inside the vehicle behind the headliner right? It's a sandwich, such a pain. Good advise, thanks!

You mean from inside the vehicle behind the headliner right? It's a sandwich, such a pain. Good advise, thanks!

Exactly right, yes. If the rust is making its way through into the gutter like your last pic, it almost certainly exists on the inside.

Exactly right, yes. If the rust is making its way through into the gutter like your last pic, it almost certainly exists on the inside.
I figured the same thought, and I was going to address that last, as I have to detach the headliner in a few places. Thanks for the heads up!

The headliner can be pulled down from one of the rear door openings, then a straw type tool can be used to cavity coat the entirety of the inner skin structure. Apologies for posting a pic of my truck in your thread, but you're aiming for the square hole visible above the rear doors here:

1602601916618.png

Then a cavity coater with wand like this to access as much of the length of that rail as possible. This should be the minimum-impact way of getting in there:

Amazon product ASIN B00TVH7R5O

The headliner can be pulled down from one of the rear door openings, then a straw type tool can be used to cavity coat the entirety of the inner skin structure. Apologies for posting a pic of my truck in your thread, but you're aiming for the square hole visible above the rear doors here:

View attachment 2464247

Then a cavity coater with wand like this to access as much of the length of that rail as possible. This should be the minimum-impact way of getting in there:

Amazon product ASIN B00TVH7R5O
Oh that is perfect, thanks for posting the photo. Looks like you did a great job and thorough! I actually need a rustproofing gun to coat the underneath side of the cowl rust sections and rockers after I weld new pieces on. So, I will be able to use that in the roof too, but that little can looks sweet! I like the tip on that, it has 180 degree spray pattern so you cant miss. Really cool, thanks!

Today: Gutters are done. I decided to POR 15 the entire gutters. Soaked them with metal prep, then POR 15. I will use a 2 part self leveling sealer after epoxy primer. We sanded the door jambs, and block sanded filler. Felling good today, as much progress was made. Don't freak out, that filler is thin ;) the whole quarter panel was crashed into, actually on both sides, so I had to skim coat the whole thing after I straightened the metal back into shape.

IMG_1811.jpeg

I have been block sanding and going around the vehicle for a few days. I’m just trying to get most things smoothed out before epoxy primer. Also, I now have the Devilbiss Tekna base coat gun along with my clear gun!!!!!! This is going to be good!

93AD13C4-9093-4C0B-8E87-0C887C490AFC.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom