1985 FJ60 Gas Tank Recall (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wanted to share that I had my gas tank recall done by Toyota probably 6mo to a year or so ago. I was not sure if it was still possible but it was worth a shot. I started with the regular Toyota recall department, my claim was escalated, I ended up working with a woman out of the Plano, TX office who was really great. The dealership had found the tank but none of the other parts they needed to complete the repair. Toyota offered to replace my truck for its blue book value but that was not an option. The service department figured out the part numbers that they needed did not exist but it was really just hoses and what not so they made it work. This was at Dublin Toyota in CA. They really love seeing a beat up old truck role in for service. After the recall repairs I still have a lot of pressure in the tank, I was hoping that would go away but I think it is the ol carbon filter so I'll have to attack that next.
The other option I was considering had the recall route not worked out was to add a long range fuel tank but that was pretty pricey. The original tank on my truck must have been full of some real nastiness, I learned quickly not to add fuel treatments like seafoam because it knocked too much S loose and clogged my fuel filter.

Pic just for grins

IMG_7217.JPG

same...I am desmogged and hunted for a fix for a while but just drilled a tiny hole in the cap. Problem solved.
fj60gascap (1).JPG

Stuff a rag on top of the drilled cap and shut the fuel access door. That little nook is a dirt magnet especially when driving on dirt roads and the breathing cap will definitely suck in dirt.

Also with a drilled cap, if the fuel tank is filled to the brim, a siphon can start through the vent tubes to the charcoal canister and liquid gasoline will come gushing out of the bottom of the charcoal canister. The canister will fill up with so much gasoline that when the EVAP system opens during mid throttle, it'll suck in liquid gasoline and choke the engine.

Been there

When I had mine done this summer the service manager was pretty dialed on the whole deal and told me they had less than 15 tanks available in the system. Best to get it done now and not later.

How do you know if your truck needs the recall done?
When the tank is replaced a sticker should be put on the firewall near the vin tag. Mine has a sticker but it's so faded I can't read it.

anyone know year/dates of the recall?

Just wanted to share that I had my gas tank recall done by Toyota probably 6mo to a year or so ago. I was not sure if it was still possible but it was worth a shot. I started with the regular Toyota recall department, my claim was escalated, I ended up working with a woman out of the Plano, TX office who was really great. The dealership had found the tank but none of the other parts they needed to complete the repair. Toyota offered to replace my truck for its blue book value but that was not an option. The service department figured out the part numbers that they needed did not exist but it was really just hoses and what not so they made it work. This was at Dublin Toyota in CA. They really love seeing a beat up old truck role in for service. After the recall repairs I still have a lot of pressure in the tank, I was hoping that would go away but I think it is the ol carbon filter so I'll have to attack that next.
The other option I was considering had the recall route not worked out was to add a long range fuel tank but that was pretty pricey. The original tank on my truck must have been full of some real nastiness, I learned quickly not to add fuel treatments like seafoam because it knocked too much S loose and clogged my fuel filter.

Pic just for grins

View attachment 2461252
Any chance you have a phone number?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom