Got a '99 LX in very rough condition.... I might have made a big mistake? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Look like an overseas (japan) vehicle so those bumpers and flares might not be available here

There is an ARB sticker on the front bumper but I have no experience with them lol
Gotcha, thank you. I have looked a bit at ARB but so far I have not seen a bumper there that I like. I like the clean look and not all the bars in front of the light and grill, though they might come in handy one day. This will be way down the road as well

The peeps above have given you some good advice, so I’ll not run through the list of items. To reiterate - everything you’ve listed is fixable, and if you’re mechanically inclined, then you can do it for relatively cheap. However, Taking it to a shop to repair those items will rapidly exceed the costs of what you paid for the truck (btw, $3.5k is a good price in the currently inflated market).

The photos of the “ideal” Cruiser that you posted are atypical. That guy is in Japan and running 37s, which he stuffed using a combination of suspension “lift”, body lift, fender cutting, and tubbing. He also regeared both diffs. The front bumper is an ARB Sahara that he removed the hoop from. No idea where he got the flares. Collectively, achieving this will cost $$$$. Definitely not the best use of your cash right now, considering the dilapidated condition of your cruiser. Focus on baselining first, in the immediate future.

Also, consider joining our local Cruiser club, Copper State Cruisers and
AZ- Copper State Cruisers There are a some Cruiser guys in the Prescott-Flagstaff area, that may be willing/have the time to help you with repairs for pizza and beer in return. With some advance planning, I’d also be happy to come up from Phoenix to help you. My in-laws are in town and staying with us for the next month, so I don’t need much of an excuse to gtfoh and head north for a couple days as an escape.
Thanks man, you are telling how it is. That is my plan to get the car (don't have a name for it yet, my EB Expedition was named "Bessie") starting and running reliably.
I am somewhat mechanically inclined, however my patience fuse is rather short... Watching Videos on Youtube on how to replace the starter.... IDK, man if I have the patience for that.

So, the starter is on my immediate list, as is the ignition cylinder and the timing belt with Water Pump and what not. Might as well do hoses and serpentine belt while I am at it. I was quoted 1k for the timing belt replacement with the water pump. I might spring for that, so it is done and I feel better driving it. Since this is an interference engine this will be cheap insurance.. I am actually 60 years old and not as limber as I was when younger. Things don't go as easy as they used to.

After that I will look for some wheels if I come across a good set. The ones that are on it now are hideous. The wheels in the "want" Picture are too big for my taste anyway.

I believe I am with the 2 local clubs already.

If you feel like escaping, let me know and we can arrange for that.

Thank again!

If you do your own t-belt there are number of good threads on what do and what to replace like water pump and the coolant hoses to oil cooler.
If you are doing your own starter, careful, some of the fuel lines you need to remove are a stiff plastic that kinks easily. You could send in the fuel injectors for cleaning and testing. Here is one site to show what they do, but seems like most cities have a place or two that does this work.
Cleaning fuel injectors outside engine works better than injection cleaner
The vacuum lines might need replacing so check those.
Great advice! As state earlier I am not sure if I have the patience and skill for the starter and timing belt. My friend who has a lift is not available as he is still stationed abroad. I agree with the injector cleaning and replacing, also with replacing all hoses and brittle lines....

Thank you!

It's going to be cheapest for you to rebuild it, if you have the time and tools.

The only real problem with the starter is that it's a bit of a PITA to get to, and not something that you'd want to re-do multiple times if you don't have to:

Nothing that you've mentioned (so far) has indicated that you have a problem with this, but because of the miles, I'd recommend checking the condition of the CV axles and drive plates (front axles and hubs).

I'd be verifying ball joints, tie rod ends, bushings, steering rack long before I was worrying about tires, lift, flares, and bumpers.

Flares thread:

One of many body lift threads (most around here seem to be 1/2" to 1")

a source​

Suspension Lift:
Lots of threads on here. Really doesn't add clearance for larger tires, unless altering the bump stops as well. Realistic limit of ~2" in front, and ~2.5-3" in back, much beyond that gets real expensive for minimal additional height.​
Thanks for all the links, greatly appreciated. I am not after large lifts, just a subtle one eventually down the road. I will have to visit the starter issue sooner than later.....

Mor important is to get is somewhat reliable to take it a bit on the back roads, maybe to Jerome from my house or Williams or such....

Go stomp around Sedona and post some sweet pics

First thing I would fix is the ignition and starter, second would be handbrake as I use it everyday-call me crazy if you wish. LOL. 😜. Cheers🍻

Thank YOU! Finally someone who agrees about the importance of having a functioning hand brake. I am in the same boot and always use it as soon as the car does not sit level, because I h8 to have all the force on the transmission. Handbrake fix it is, number 3 on the list!

If you stray off the flatland into the hills and mountains you need a hand brake. Park it on a steep hill and let the auto trans hold the car and two things can happen - it pops out of park and rolls away or the weight of the vehicle locks the shifter in park. Force the shifter and something else may break.
I agree wholeheartedly! Hand brake will be fixed!

Also worth mentioning about the handbrake, if the overly complex and failure prone brake booster system goes out and you don’t make an immediate stop, you’ll be relying on that handbrake to keep you from smashing into whatever’s ahead of you. I’d fix it.
Absolutely. I agree and it is on my list. That brake failure sounds a bit unnerving. I wonder if I can do something preventatively already?

Go stomp around Sedona and post some sweet pics
Agreed, Schnebly Hill Rd. comes to mind..... but as mentioned above, I do not "trust" the vehicle enough yet to go venture out into the wilderness...

It doesn't seem like you have more issues than you would in any other $3.5k vehicle that old. You'll get them knocked out one by one and it'll soon transform into the reliable rig you desire! Looking forward to the progress.

Thanks man, you are telling how it is. That is my plan to get the car (don't have a name for it yet, my EB Expedition was named "Bessie") starting and running reliably.
I am somewhat mechanically inclined, however my patience fuse is rather short... Watching Videos on Youtube on how to replace the starter.... IDK, man if I have the patience for that.

So, the starter is on my immediate list, as is the ignition cylinder and the timing belt with Water Pump and what not. Might as well do hoses and serpentine belt while I am at it. I was quoted 1k for the timing belt replacement with the water pump. I might spring for that, so it is done and I feel better driving it. Since this is an interference engine this will be cheap insurance.. I am actually 60 years old and not as limber as I was when younger. Things don't go as easy as they used to.

After that I will look for some wheels if I come across a good set. The ones that are on it now are hideous. The wheels in the "want" Picture are too big for my taste anyway.

I believe I am with the 2 local clubs already.

If you feel like escaping, let me know and we can arrange for that.

Thank again!
I bought a white 99 a few months back that looks very similar to yours. First thing I did was remove the running boards. There was quite a bit of rust in the front fender near where it meets the running boards. I think it looks much better without the running boards anyway. Next I did the timing belt, water pump and hoses. while I was in the neighborhood, I did the alt and powered steering pump since it looked like it might be leaking. Power steering hoses as well. I figure these items are most likely to cause an issue along with the heater hose Ts. All in all its now a dependable rig. I took it 7 hours north last week and it ran great.

As you can tell I'm focusing on the mechanicals this year. If it pans out ill put time into suspension upgrades next year.

Note on the horn. They probably pulled the fuse because your sunroof is leaking into
the kick panel on the drivers side. Look up how to clear the drain tube on the sunroof. Mine was also pulled.

Good luck with your rig.

Your ‘99 non-vvTi 2uz-fe is non-interference, so you’d probably be OK if the t-belt broke. But, I agree, should go ahead and do it.

I have all the tools necessary to do starter and t-belt job. Happy to come up for a weekend and help you knock it out. Just purchase parts ahead of time. I’ll PM you about this shortly.

^ you really ARE itching to get away from the in-laws

^ you really ARE itching to get away from the in-laws
Dude, I’m itching to get out of Phoenix, period. We’re pushing like +140 days of triple digit heat for the year, with no end in sight. But yes, the in-laws have been here three days and the urge to quietly disappear is rapidly increasing within me...

1602292941593.gif

What a cool project! That looks like fun, and congrats on the purchase.

Keyless entry, starter, locks, e-brake, t-belt, fluids etc all are worthy places to start... but you gotta get rid of those rims ASAP.

These all fit:

"Got a '99 LX in very rough condition...I might have made a big mistake"

I think the biggest mistake people make is buying rusted ones. The fact that it runs and drives and you got it for a steal, means you didn't make a mistake.

I bought a white 99 a few months back that looks very similar to yours. First thing I did was remove the running boards. There was quite a bit of rust in the front fender near where it meets the running boards. I think it looks much better without the running boards anyway. Next I did the timing belt, water pump and hoses. while I was in the neighborhood, I did the alt and powered steering pump since it looked like it might be leaking. Power steering hoses as well. I figure these items are most likely to cause an issue along with the heater hose Ts. All in all its now a dependable rig. I took it 7 hours north last week and it ran great.

As you can tell I'm focusing on the mechanicals this year. If it pans out ill put time into suspension upgrades next year.

Note on the horn. They probably pulled the fuse because your sunroof is leaking into
the kick panel on the drivers side. Look up how to clear the drain tube on the sunroof. Mine was also pulled.

Good luck with your rig.
Great to hear I am not the only one. You describe what I want to do with it as well, first get it mechanically sound again and then the bling. I have to get a new windshield also as mine is broken and I can't stand it. Hopefully there will be no pitfalls.
The horn issue will have to be investigated a bit more. I will see that I get the drain tube cleared.
Love to see some more pics of yours too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom