Fat Mat installed and new DNP Carpet (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Old Nick

GOLD Star
Threads
I've been plugging away at my interior restoration. Pulled everything out, treated a couple of very small rust bubbles with Black Start, cleaned the heck out of it, then installed the Fat Mat... it's taken me a couple of weeks to get things sorted.

The one "problem" with the Fat Mat is that where its sheets overlaps when installed, a small strip of butyl is exposed and very sticky. I bought some good quality aluminum backed duct tape and covered all of the seams. Everything's all tightened up now.

While all of the trim was out, I cleaned it all up and painted it. Looks like brand new. I rattle canned it. Used Rustoleum 2x "Dark Mahogany". It's almost exactly the same color as the interior plastic and metal. Time will tell how nicely it holds up.

The prep work for all of the above was a real time sucker - but worth it.

Got the rear carpet installed (supplied by David @dnp). Used the old carpet as a template (marked the new carpet with a marker), and cut it to match with a heated utility knife. Dang - that things worked wonders... a cheapo from Harbor Freight. Got the new tail gate carpet installed too. Any flaws in installation were mine. The carpets from DNP are excellent.

Anyway, here is a pic of the new rear carpet installed:

48897D06-D062-44B1-B0B1-7DF5F00494E0.jpeg
FA9DD526-EADF-45F5-A1FC-5F4027A40E0C.jpeg

Lastly, got my new cards installed. I've got to dye or paint the original carpet on the cards to match the new stuff.

I'm totally stoked wit the results.

Now, I've got the get the rest of the interior put back together!

Take it easy, everybody,
O.N.

Can you post some pics on your cards and describe what you did to them. Mine are very worn out and need addressed. I am planning on doing my interior sometime this winter while it’s garaged up. your carpet instal looks great!

Can you post some pics on your cards and describe what you did to them. Mine are very worn out and need addressed. I am planning on doing my interior sometime this winter while it’s garaged up. your carpet instal looks great!
Howdy,

The carpet on my cards was re-usable. The vinyl is in pretty good shape, but the carpet is faded and stained. Beyond that they were ok. The old card backer was shot. I'll try to post up some pics later today. If the weather holds, I'm going to get my seats put back in! Got the carpet installed yesterday. Couldn't get the project finished because the cheap harbor freight hot knife that I bought crapped out... junk!

Here's what I did to restore them (from a write-up that I posted in the "What did you do to you 60 this weekend" thread).

I used 1/8 in. masonite (got it at Home Depot). A 4x8 sheet was around $11.00. I got the type of board with a "slick" side (used the slick side as the exterior of the new cards). Took out my cargo cards (I haven't done my doors yet, but I'm sure the process is the same). Removed all of the carpet/trim staples from the back of cards, removed the carpet/lining and then used the old cards as a template for the new cards; just laid the old ones over the new masonite and traced them. Used a jig saw to cut out the cards and then a paddle bit and regular bit to drill out the wholes for the clips/fasteners (I should have done my drilling with a thick piece of wood under the masonite... stupid. Every spot that I drilled left tearing on the back). Used the paddle bit to cut a hole for the speaker openings then the jig saw to cut those out. Cleaned up the back of the cargo card carpet, and applied water proofing spray to the new cards. Installed Mega Mat on the interior side of the cards (just traced and cut it to fit). Punched out wholes in the Mat for the clips/fasteners and cut out the speaker holes. I put my carpet back on with two-sided tape (haven't had the time to get the 1/8 inch upholstery staples/stapler yet.

The cards came out great. The carpet fits nice and snug. But as they are a little thicker than OEM, I had to get new clips and fasteners. Mine ancient ones just pulled out and wouldn't hold the cards in place. Bought these: Amazon product and they do the trick! I found those clips when searching through old Mud posts. @TRAIL TAILOR recommended them, and he was right.

Looking good!
Thanks, Ian. I am itching so bad to get my Cruiser back on the road (and then on the DBBB in a few weeks!). BTW, I joined the KTLCA. Waiting to get my membership number so that I can register via the website. Looking forward to that - thank you for the heads-up.

Here are two pics: the first is of one of my original cards. It was in pieces, only held together by the vinyl/carpet and staples. The second is of the new cards that I traced using the old cards. My old vinyl/carpet was in fairly good shape so I was able to re-use it. They came our nice.
95BCD9D1-1E66-45A9-AE3B-500557D3627A.jpeg
F902518F-1DB3-45EF-9CA9-6B742AF4902F.jpeg

This guy does a good job refurbishing his door card

This guy does a good job refurbishing his door card

Thanks for sharing the link. Door cards are on the list, but not until I get my welding and then paint work sorted. I don't want to take the doors apart more than once. But when they are dissasembled, I'm going to replace all of the door runs and seals too. I've got a mountain of parts waiting for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom