Fairy overdrive delete (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not sure what you are calling baulk rings are? Been a long time since I dug into this parts. Think I remember a few loose rings in a small plastic bag. Been an awful summer in AZ. The OD parts are store on pallet shelving in an uninsulated garage. Weather tight so no issue with rusting. Going to convert a 73 to a four speed with a PTO winch and Fairey overdrive. Once it cools off I plan on getting the OD stuff more accessible.

Please show me a picture of what your calling a drive collar. I remember I had one OD where the special lock system on the thread end of the transmission tailshaft had come loose and had to use a lathe. Was lucky I have excess to a full machine shop before I retired. I remember most the bearings and shaft for the idler gear I had plenty of other things a few or no spares. Plan to keep enough spares for my personal use and sell the others.

Screenshot_20201009-054213_Google.jpg

Thanks for your reply, Mark. The drive collar (barrel) engages the end of the trans tail shaft, but only goes apprx a half inch onto the splines, which was ridiculous, and eventually wears the splines on both the shaft and collar (especially when the "special lock system" comes loose. Other than the poor design in that case, I've found my Fairey to be reliable. My orig collar and shaft had worn badly. I rehabilitated it about 4 years ago. I was able to find another (used) collar that was worn a little, and used that with a new tailshaft to put mine back in business. I figure that it'll out last me since I don't drive it all that much anymore. I am the original owner (1977) and I was 25 years old when I bought it. I don't have any plans to sell it. I guess my son will get it when I'm gone.

Good on ya Mark! . Maybe Franksy4 can have a better chance of finding them going that route. It sure didn't occur to me. Too bad there are probably no other sources for the drive collars. Hope you're enjoying time off in a cool place.

Thanks. We’re spending a little time with some friends glamping in another friend’s backyard. Hot outside, but nice and cool inside the garage-majal.

E686F77A-AB31-4F7D-AA13-F00A8A9B24B0.jpeg

Shades of Burning Man at night:
1602281723444.jpeg

I wonder if that syncro ring is an MG part?
I have tried searching for the mg syncro ring all the images coming up shows its very different
I think im going to give up with the overdrive and go with a 5speed not something that I wanted to do but getting no where

I have tried searching for the mg syncro ring all the images coming up shows its very different
I think im going to give up with the overdrive and go with a 5speed not something that I wanted to do but getting no where

Being your already in Australia if you have a H41 to start with believe the H55F is a stronger option with no gear change except the overdrive. I've gathered parts mainly from Australia to go H55F in my 79 FJ40. Since I already have a complete Fairey Overdrive figure would mount that onto my 73 FST. Switch the J30 three speed for an H42 four speed. What year and type of 40 series do you have? See you posted about a HJ47 with a 2H. That would be 8/80+ and be a completely different Fairey Overdrive. Not about this thread applies. To delete you would best just buy a used split transfer case. The Fairey Overdrive on those replaced the whole back half of the case. If you stay with the hand brake on the transfer case you will need a little clearance to the torque tube behind the transfer case. Thinking I might go H55F in my 65 FJ45LP-B. Those the torque tub is further back. So wouldn't need to deal with frame issues just the body.

Being your already in Australia if you have a H41 to start with believe the H55F is a stronger option with no gear change except the overdrive. I've gathered parts mainly from Australia to go H55F in my 79 FJ40. Since I already have a complete Fairey Overdrive figure would mount that onto my 73 FST. Switch the J30 three speed for an H42 four speed. What year and type of 40 series do you have? See you posted about a HJ47 with a 2H. That would be 8/80+ and be a completely different Fairey Overdrive. Not about this thread applies. To delete you would best just buy a used split transfer case. The Fairey Overdrive on those replaced the whole back half of the case. If you stay with the hand brake on the transfer case you will need a little clearance to the torque tube behind the transfer case. Thinking I might go H55F in my 65 FJ45LP-B. Those the torque tub is further back. So wouldn't need to deal with frame issues just the body.

Ive just found someone who has the 5speed gearbox I need just have to workout postage cost

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom