Starting issue when engine is hot (cranks, CEL on, CEL off when running) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there: So I just bought this 1993 FJZ80 a few weeks ago I brought the truck 50 miles away from home without an issue, park it for a few weeks and the day I took it to pass the emission test it died on the smog test station...brought her home after it cools down (15 to 20min).

Cold start is good
CEL is present when key on
No CEL light when running.

Idle gets rough after reaching normal operation temp
Acceleration when its warm feels retorted
strong gas odor
If I turn it off it will crank but won't start again

I let the truck get warm and fail to test it today and there's spark
I also check the EGR applying vacuum to the hose on the drivers side and there's resistance but in the other end where the hose is connected on the intake manifold I found that was totally clogged with rust
intake1.jpg

intake2.jpg

That means that the EGR is not working right? so isn't the CEL suppose to light on for a code?

Anyways I cleaned it with a tiny wire I also cleaned the EGR actuator and tried again ...start it cold let it warm again but no luck it fail again ...what else do I need to check ?

Thank you in advance you guys

Did you know that in California the seller is responsible for passing smog testing?

So I applied vacuum to the EGR and its seems to work fine, after that I tried to clean all the vacuum hoses but some were just melted and stuffed with grease , there's no vacuum from the VSV and there's also resistance if I try to blow some air to it...Definitely a EGR problem going on, so I already order an aftermarket VSV and its on the way but I wonder if that has anything to do with my warm starting issue any other areas that I need to check ? I don't have a CEL, could be a coolant temp sensor? forgot to mention truck has 220k miles and its a 12/92

So I applied vacuum to the EGR and its seems to work fine, after that I tried to clean all the vacuum hoses but some were just melted and stuffed with grease , there's no vacuum from the VSV and there's also resistance if I try to blow some air to it...Definitely a EGR problem going on, so I already order an aftermarket VSV and its on the way but I wonder if that has anything to do with my warm starting issue any other areas that I need to check ? I don't have a CEL, could be a coolant temp sensor? forgot to mention truck has 220k miles and its a 12/92
Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I am having the exact same problem on an 97 LX450. True cold start (like next morning fine). Immediate start when its been running is fine. Leave it for an hour? Wont turn over. And I smell gas near the gas cap but an unusual level. I have had the truck since 98 so I know the smells.

With these symptoms I always suggest the coolant temp sensor.

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I am having the exact same problem on an 97 LX450. True cold start (like next morning fine). Immediate start when its been running is fine. Leave it for an hour? Wont turn over. And I smell gas near the gas cap but an unusual level. I have had the truck since 98 so I know the smells.
Yes ! (Sorry for the late response) I did replace the vsv valve with an aftermarket and everything was perfect.I’m saying was because my mechanic did a head gasket job and didn’t connected everything the way it was

I also figured out my problem. The wiring was loose enough in the wiring harness Unser the glove hoax that the wire would move just enough when the engine was hit so that it would not start. Once the mechanic tightened up the connection, problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom