1FZ-FE Supercharger whine - weird instagram video (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In light of all the interesting Supercharger talk that has been going on in the 80 series tech section recently, saw this video on the ole Instagram the other day and was baffled by the noise/whine that is coming off this supercharger, heck it sounds like a modern hellcat engine. Anyone have any idea what is going on here? ive been around a couple of our 80 SC before and have never heard anything like this. Custom intake? running crazy higher boost? one of those weird supercharger noise pipes people put on their mustangs lol?

Anyways just saw it the other day and had a sec to post now and figure why not share as it as I was stumped and figured it must just be an edited video with a sound overlay

boom

I’ve done the same just to hear it on my 80z It sounds amazing. Haha.

I also had a “cold air” intake on my supercharged 3rd Gen 4runner and the whine from the supercharger was ridiculously loud.

I’ve done the same just to hear it on my 80z It sounds amazing. Haha.

I also had a “cold air” intake on my supercharged 3rd Gen 4runner and the whine from the supercharger was ridiculously loud.

Hmmm maybe a cold air on the 80 would really wake it up. However, it would truly be a shame to not run the OE airbox as its such a stout design.

Hmmm maybe a cold air on the 80 would really wake it up. However, it would truly be a shame to not run the OE airbox as its such a stout design.

Snorkel is the 80 Series version of a CAI. It does actually lower intake air temps according to my ScanGauge.

Snorkel is the 80 Series version of a CAI. It does actually lower intake air temps according to my ScanGauge.

One on order from the lads at Cruiser Outfitters! looking forward to seeing the updated design in person

Reviving this thread as I came across this video tonight and was surprised to hear this guys whine with his seemingly stock supercharger. I never have had a wine with mine before and after throwing on a snorkel. Never thought twice about mine not whining but hearing his sparked my interest and found this thread. Would love to hear more peoples opinions

He revs it at 6:44

I have been considering a snorkel for a while, but really hate to cut up fender. How much did your intake air Temps drop? I typically run 40 to 50 degrees hotter than the ambient air temps.

I have been considering a snorkel for a while, but really hate to cut up fender. How much did your intake air Temps drop? I typically run 40 to 50 degrees hotter than the ambient air temps.
Mine isn’t a perfect comparison because I don’t have a 1fz, but it’s 10-15° above ambient usually.

Reviving this thread as I came across this video tonight and was surprised to hear this guys whine with his seemingly stock supercharger. I never have had a wine with mine before and after throwing on a snorkel. Never thought twice about mine not whining but hearing his sparked my interest and found this thread. Would love to hear more peoples opinions

Do you have stock air filter? He may just have a K&N filter making the difference.

Hey! That’s me. Haha

Supercharger is stock as well as the air box. Not sure how yours doesn’t make the same sound 🤔

Have you tried revving it by hand with the hood open?

If you look at the video you can see there is no air filter or bottom of the airbox installed that's why it's making so much induction noise.

Hey! That’s me. Haha

Supercharger is stock as well as the air box. Not sure how yours doesn’t make the same sound 🤔

Have you tried revving it by hand with the hood open?

No way! That’s so funny. You sounded like enough of a cruiser head in the video I was thinking you might be on here haha. Sweet truck! And nope, mine doesn’t wine like that at all. Supercharger was rebuilt 6 months ago by Jon Bond performance and I’m running a 3.0 pulley. But like I said power is super solid it’s pretty similar to a 4.7 4Runner. Was just surprised to hear yours! I was hoping more people would chime in here on how there’s sounded because the only other supercharged 80 I’ve been around was over a year ago but I’m fairly confident it didn’t wine either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom