Installed a low mileage transmission on my 2004 lx 470 it won’t go into 1st and 2nd gear. Bad ECU? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I Installed a low mileage transmission on my 2004 lx 470 it won’t go into 1st and 2nd gear. checked all the wiring and solenoid and all test ok. Guess the only thing left to check is the ECU. If it’s ok the used transmission needs to be the issue. What do you think?

What model year 100 did the used trans come from?

Same year. 2004 with 94,000 miles verified on car fax.
Elaborate on what you mean by “it won’t go into 1st and 2nd gears.” The shifter won’t move to the 2-L location, or when you’re driving the trans is not using 1st or 2nd?

what issue did the original trans have?

Elaborate on what you mean by “it won’t go into 1st and 2nd gears.” The shifter won’t move to the 2-L location, or when you’re driving the trans is not using 1st or 2nd?
When I start driving as engine revs up it engages in a slower gear as speed increases it stays on that gear until it gets to 4th gear and then 5th. When it gets to 4th and 5th it’s going at the proper speed.

When I start driving as engine revs up it engages in a slower gear as speed increases it stays on that gear until it gets to 4th gear and then 5th. When it gets to 4th and 5th it’s going at the proper speed.
Did you replace the torque converter when swapping trans?

It's very rare for these transmission to go bad.. To have this 94K miles and original bad, well is not likely. To find a 04 100 series transmission with 94K is a very hard thing to find. Odds for all to happen, well, WOW..

What temperature did you top the transmission at. TSB has use use 97 - 115F fluid temp.

Any DTC pending or active?

It's very rare for these transmission to go bad.. To have this 94K miles and original bad, well is not likely. To find a 04 100 series transmission with 94K is a very hard thing to find. Odds for all to happen, well, WOW..

What temperature did you top the transmission at. TSB has use use 97 - 115F fluid temp.

Have the carfax for the 2004 lx 470 from the 1st owner that own it almost all the way till the accident with all the maintenance records. The second owner owned it just a few months and he wrecked it. Fluids were topped at the correct temp at a Lexus dealership.

Post a video. By your description, it seems the transmission is acting normal.

I interpret this as "I accelerate starting in a low gear (1st), then as the revs climb and I continue to accelerate, it shifts to second. I continue to accelerate, the revs rise, and it shifts into 3rd. I continue to accelerate, the revs rise, and it shifts into 4th. Repeat for 5th gear if I accelerate to a speed suitable speed for 5th gear"

If I'm way off base please enlighten us, or post a video.

Post a video. By your description, it seems the transmission is acting normal.

I interpret this as "I accelerate starting in a low gear (1st), then as the revs climb and I continue to accelerate, it shifts to second. I continue to accelerate, the revs rise, and it shifts into 3rd. I continue to accelerate, the revs rise, and it shifts into 4th. Repeat for 5th gear if I accelerate to a speed suitable speed for 5th gear"

If I'm way off base please enlighten us, or post a video.
I accelerate and car does NOT go into 1st or 2nd gear instead it starts on 3rd gear then 4th and 5th gear work perfectly at the proper speed.

Post a video

Post error codes from ECU

My 2001 LX470 transmission blew up at 110k miles. It’s actually a lot more common than gets reported on here. Happened most frequently on 2000-2001 models produced during a certain manufacturing run.

It’s actually a lot more common than gets reported on here.
Probably a lot *less common* than what’s reported on here. Nevertheless, MaxdOut has a 2004...

p0771 Soleniod E
Not sure why you did not report P0771 in OP, or when I asked.

My 2001 LX470 transmission blew up at 110k miles. It’s actually a lot more common than gets reported on here. Happened most frequently on 2000-2001 models produced during a certain manufacturing run.
I do recall a few reports of what "mud guys believed a defect", in the early 343 (98-02) IIRC pre May 2000 MFD. The biggest issue with the 750 (03-07). Was under filled from the factory. It was also believed a vent tube was allowing water in. But that may have been low fluid also.
Have the carfax for the 2004 lx 470 from the 1st owner that own it almost all the way till the accident with all the maintenance records. The second owner owned it just a few months and he wrecked it. Fluids were topped at the correct temp at a Lexus dealership.
I'll assume this is the donner transmission. A server wreck can cause damage to moving parts, dislodge connecting, etc. even those not directly impact. Was transmission pan pulled and inspection done?

Since you also said Dealership topped the transmission. BTW: This is no guarantee done correctly. Can we also assume you did not do the install yourself?

Are you doing the diagnostic or taking to someone?

Any other issues codes with your vehicle, any?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom