another no CEL / no start after head gasket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am just wrapping up a head gasket job and the truck wont start. Everything is hooked up and no CEL. cranks but no fuel or spark. Electrical is a bit over my head so after searcing and reading all day need some pointers. Replaced all the spark plug wires and distributor while I was in there.

Here is what I have done so far.

1 - new fusible links - no change
2 - swapped main relay with one from driver foot well - no change
3 - replace 15 a efi fuse - no change

With the key in the on position everything lights up, stereo, cig lighter plug etc.

At the fuse block I am getting power at the brass screw. with the ignition off none of the main relay posts have any voltage.

When the ig is on I get @ 1 - 11.73, 2 - 0.13, 3 - 0, 4 - 0.02.

The single wire behind the distributor is a bit beat up so going open the loom up to see if it is broken. the connector is rust free.

As I understand it this means the ECU is not getting power. What should I be looking at next?

So I managed to break the wire off trying to disconnect the single wire plug by the distributor. it was frayed probably from being twisted up in the past. Anyone have a part number for the connector or suggestion on how to take it apart to solder a new wire on?

So I managed to break the wire off trying to disconnect the single wire plug by the distributor. it was frayed probably from being twisted up in the past. Anyone have a part number for the connector or suggestion on how to take it apart to solder a new wire on?

Do we have a separate one for 91-92 ? Thanks, Mike

replaced that connector and still no cel. Whats my next move here? TKS.

Are you just assuming no power to the ecu because of no cel. My cel has never worked. Its probably something simple. Check all your fuses and harness connections.

Ecu/cel requires switched power from the 7.5 ign fuse. From the fuse it's a blu/black wire that runs to the glove box, connecting to the engine harness via a big white plug. From there it makes a short run to the ecu, I wanna say pin 14 on the largest connector. I would check your ign fuse for power. If it has power, grab a test light and test for 12v at the ign pin on the ecu connector

Let me know if you need a picture

Last edited:
Does your vehicle have a factory alarm? If so it could be the culprit.

Ecu/cel requires switched power from the 7.5 ign fuse. From the fuse it's a blu/black wire that runs to the glove box, connecting to the engine harness via a big white plug. From there it makes a short run to the ecu, I wanna say pin 14 on the largest connector. I would check your ign fuse for power. If it has power, grab a test light and test for 12v at the ign pin on the ecu connector

IGN is pin 1 of E7. Black/blue stripe.

Ign fuse has 12V. Will pull the glove box tonight and check the connector.

Does your vehicle have a factory alarm? If so it could be the culprit.
I honestly dont know. Had the truck 7 years and never set it off so never thought about it or looked for it. It has a viper remote start which is still working but have never set off or had issues with an alarm.

Is this the right pin to check? Getting no voltage. on the blue / black with ign on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom