my 30x50 man cave build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
highoctanespirits.com
I am finally getting to embark down one of my life long dreams of having my own shop. our first house I lost the battle with the wife and she got the new house with the small garage vs the old fixer upper with the big shop. ever since I have wanted a good sized work shop for all my car projects and fabrication needs.
Fast forward 10 years and we made a life change going from California to Washington and decided to buy property and build our dream house (dream within budget that is) and part of that was I would finally get my shop. two years later and the house is finally finished.
we went with the farmhouse look and it still needs the concrete for the wrap around porch to back patio but it is done enough for me to start in on the shop.
Yesterday I sent my deposit to Great Western Buildings out of Colorado because they treated me the best and walked me through the buying process and were not pushy like a lot of other companies I called. I settled on a 30x50x16 with two 10' wide doors on the gable end to hopefully do lean to's on both sides in the future:

It is shown with one 14' tall door and one 10' tall. I have to call around and see if the saved cost for the shorter door is worth it or if I should just go to two full 14' tall doors. I am on a tight budget being a sole income and having three daughters so I will be doing most of the work myself. luckily I work in Hops so there is usually a plethora of cheap beer around!
here is a basic layout of how it will sit on the property and the underground conduit. the man door is shown between the rollup doors but I think I am going to put it on the plan north wall and not between the roll ups to keep them closer together and away from the walls for workbench space.
shop plans

Sweet, can't wait to see it. Congrats on the new home and location.

Sweet, can't wait to see it. Congrats on the new home and location.
Thanks man. It has been a long road and a lot of work but getting the shop in will be a huge win for me. already scoping out 2 post lifts and where to put it.

here is my first idea for the layout. the area around the Camaro will be an enclosed room to store the car away from the fabrication working area and double as a paint booth. above that I want to build a deck for a mezzanine for storage/bathroom/hangout area. Debating building the mezzanine over part of the fab area too but I want to have a long enough place to pull my class C RV in as well if I need to work on it when it is cold.

I want to put in a 2 post to work on vehicles and I am debating on putting it where it is shown or over around where the fj40 is shown.

I just bought a retirement home with a 40 x 40 shop with 16' walls. It has two 12 x 14 commercial roll up doors with a man door in between. It's an engineered metal frame, insulated building with HVAC and lighting. Otherwise it's a blank slate and I'm also pondering where to put the lift. I've settled in on a Rotary SPOA10 but haven't really made any other decisons.

If you put the lift where the FJ40 is shown, wouldn't that preclude you from putting your RV in that bay?

I just bought a retirement home with a 40 x 40 shop with 16' walls. It has two 12 x 14 commercial roll up doors with a man door in between. It's an engineered metal frame, insulated building with HVAC and lighting. Otherwise it's a blank slate and I'm also pondering where to put the lift. I've settled in on a Rotary SPOA10 but haven't really made any other decisons.

If you put the lift where the FJ40 is shown, wouldn't that preclude you from putting your RV in that bay?

any pictures of the 40x40? just trying to look at as many as possible for ideas.

yeah it would be a really tight fit. the atlas 2 post I took dimensions from showed a 110" between posts and my RV is at 100 so it would be a squeeze. that is why I was thinking maybe best infront of the paint booth area as to keep the deep bay more flexible on what I do with it.

any pictures of the 40x40? just trying to look at as many as possible for ideas.

yeah it would be a really tight fit. the atlas 2 post I took dimensions from showed a 110" between posts and my RV is at 100 so it would be a squeeze. that is why I was thinking maybe best infront of the paint booth area as to keep the deep bay more flexible on what I do with it.

Here's the thread I started: Retirement Shop

Here's the thread I started: Retirement Shop
that is a nice looking building you have. I have been wondering about internal wall finishing as well. I thought of asking for a 4 foot is perlin to be added to the plan so I could easily just cover the first 8' with plywood or metal covering but I don't know if it would be worth the cost.

I have had an epoxy (or polyaspartic epoxy combination) flake system on the floors of my last two houses and we will probably have the 3 car garage in the house done with one. I'm really leaning toward doing porcelain tile on the floor of this one (too much time on Garage Journal). If I do that then I think I will metal frame and tile up to 4' or so and go sheetrock above that. I am still probably going to frame the walls into the metal framing to keep every square inch I can in the building. I won't put anything above the 12' girt.

Again, good luck with your build!

that will look nice. I think I am going to stick with just concrete floors for my work shop. I had epoxy in my first garage after a fire and it looked nice but I hated welding or grinding on it because it always seemed to leave marks.

not much update on the shop but I did get the final drawings approved and signed a change order for doors and some 3" insulation(R-11). great western ended up beating the local price so I went with them on doors. added a man door to the side as well. still manual roll up on the doors for now but hopefully I can add openers shortly so I don't have to be pulling chain all the time.

this project has been put on hold for now since i lost my job last november.

I have decided to try and end my unemployment by starting my own business:
DmewJAT.jpg

I am opening my own Craft Distillery in Naches Wa inspired by motorsports. I don't want to give to much away until i have actual label approvals but i am hoping to do some wheeling inspired spirits including a over-lander gin.

Please follow and like on social media to help me get the word out!!!

hopefully as soon as i get the business off the ground i can get back to the man cave.

Well the best of luck!
As long as your dabbling in the business!!
Here is a picture of probably the last bottle of Wild Spirits in the world.
I chased the story down many years ago and it looks like a family/business dispute that put them out of business.
This stuff is amazing an was passed around many a whitewater adventure.
If you can make this stuff you'll be golden and I'll personally buy 10 cases from ya.
Also known as "paddle your own canoe"
BEST OF LUCK
Bobmo
WIN_20210722_15_56_41_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210722_15_56_50_Pro.jpg

Well the best of luck!
As long as your dabbling in the business!!
Here is a picture of probably the last bottle of Wild Spirits in the world.
I chased the story down many years ago and it looks like a family/business dispute that put them out of business.
This stuff is amazing an was passed around many a whitewater adventure.
If you can make this stuff you'll be golden and I'll personally buy 10 cases from ya.
Also known as "paddle your own canoe"
BEST OF LUCK
BobmoView attachment 2738614View attachment 2738615

that sounds interesting, i have never heard of that one. I will have to do some research and see if i can come up with something like that, the story sounds like it would sell itself.

I have already planned on doing some Apple Jack, Apple Schnapps (german style), apple vodka and a apple based gin with some huckleberries and spruce tips to really use the local apples around the yakima valley but i am always into different less heard of types of alcohol.

Saw that you went with Great Western. I was going to ask how it turned out but it looks like things are on hold for now. I just placed a deposit with them for my shop. I looked at Varco Pruden too and GW had better pricing by a good 20%.

yeah they had good prices and were easy to work with. hopefully i will get to work with them sooner rather than later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom