72k mile 1 owner SCORE!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, like most of us I am always looking for the grail LC. Low mile, one owner, rust free. In my years of 80 and 100 ownership I have seen a few out there. Most were far away and quickly snapped up. I lamented each time I saw one how lucky and quick the buyer must have been.

I have a 125k mile rust free, one owner 1991 FJ80 which I restored to original specs. I luckily found a 62k mile 2002 100 a few years ago after foolishly trading my 92k mile 2004 off for my wife's LX570.

Wednesday my email popped up a 72k mile FZJ100 81.5 miles from my desk at work. I had recently decided to upgrade my sons starter vehicle (A neat, but sadly tired FJ80) to something he could go to college in. Knowing is was time to upgrade and how amazingly rare these low mile 100's are, I called the dealer. It was just listed, he had received numerous calls and was befuddled at the nationwide interest. I offered my credit card to hold the car unitl I arrived. He declined and said he would hold it until I arrived.

I jumped in the car, called my16 year old to be standing at ready in the drive, and headed out. Of course by the time I had arrived one local buyer and two long-distance internet wires were at the ready. The dealer, to whom I hold no ill will toward honored his commitment to not sell the LC, but also explained how a slight bidding war had erupted for the car. Well, after reading real email offers and texts from these buyers, I agreed that his original price was a bit low, paid a fair increase over his original post, and wrote the check. Did I get put together, maybe, but I am a former dealer/industry veteran and understand the game well. I paid a fair market value for an impossible vehicle and everyone was happy.

I hate to let a 17 year old (who's birthday is Saturday) drive such a unicorn but he is very responsible, a timid driver, 6 paved blocks from school) and I think he can drive it two years and still have less than 80k miles on it. I will probably buy him a newer 4Runner to take to college and park the 100 next to my other "toys" at that time. I feel bad for the others who missed out on the opportunity to buy this rig and hope they were not friends here on Mud. I tell myself I saved this one-owner, pristine rig from a muddy, lifted, tail rash fate, to justify being the next caretaker. I will sell them all of one day and buy a perfect low mile LS swapped 80 but until then we will enjoy LC number 5.

The "starter car" which we love dearly as a member of the family, is going to my mechanic for a hard start repair/diagnosis, I am going to ask him to write up a complete inspection list for it as I suspect we will be offering it up for sale in the near future. It needs more than I want to spend on i but runs like a top and has been a good trainer for my kid. It has been a faithful servant but it is time for it to hit the trail and be enjoyed by someone who will use it to its full capability during its last chapter.

Here is an update on the fleet/collection

2002 69k (now) miles Mine!!!
B3E331B3-AE40-4E95-AF81-5D528085657C_1_201_a.jpeg

1992 "starter car" (Probably for sale soon)
18B0BC2C-BF4C-49D6-A6D7-899A898C8E4C_1_201_a.jpeg

1991 restored 125k mile one-owner California FJ80 (using parts from the 1992)
7C40B1F5-B4AC-400E-81DA-A0E98FACC307_1_201_a.jpeg

2005 72k mile grail!!!
5B03661A-8F45-45F6-BF10-F2F9CAF564A1.jpeg

2013 LX570 "MOM Wagon"
9C7D19C0-1E4C-4432-B4AE-2A4D701A341A.jpeg

Yes, I am OCD and have a problem. Don't judge me:)
RKTINC

Last edited:
Something about the combination of the wheels and graphics on the 92 just looks completely right to me.

@RKTINC since this thread is about your new 100 series, " Wednesday my email popped up a 72k mile FZJ100 81.5 miles from my desk at work. " you might want to post it in that forum. Maybe you already did; just a suggestion. Nice fleet by the way. :cheers:

Nice trucks. Need more 80’s though.

Something about the combination of the wheels and graphics on the 92 just looks completely right to me.
It will probably be for sale soon. If you like to wrench on project cars, this thing could be a great weekend toy.

Nice trucks. Need more 80’s though.
Yes, My dream is an ICON 80 with an LS1/3 I am close to a very original 40th with a perfect body/frame but high miles. It might be my LS candidate:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom