Complete and EASY Transmission Cooler Install on FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I decided to take on the project of installing a transmission cooler in my FJ62 and had to jump between 3 threads to get the right information. So here is it all in one.

Things you will need:
Hayden 1678 Transmission cooler (Bought mine from eBay or Amazon)
10 ft of 3/8 Inner Diameter Tranny Hose (Bought mine at NAPA)
Dremmel tool or Wire Wheel
8 Small Hose Clamps

Step One: Remove your Bottom Skid Plate, Headlight Bezels and Front Grille for easy front end access which will make the job much easier.
Step Two: Included in the Hayden 1678 Cooler it comes with 4 mounting brackets. Bend them according to @hjdca 's picture I will attach below. This will give you mounting points from the top and bottom bolts on the front grille support brace, and the two bolts on the AC condenser. For the bolts on the AC condenser, you will have to take off the bolts and pull apart the rubber washer to fir the tanny cooler bracket into it (you will see what I'm referring too when you do this step.
Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 11.15.42 PM.png

Step 3: Bolt-on the Transmission Cooler and it should look like this image below. We are having the nipples pointing toward the passenger side of the car because we will run our new hose through the holes in the grille support (as reflected in the image below).
Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 11.22.55 PM.png

Step 4: Next you will need to remove the section of factory transmission hose that runs and connects from the passenger side of the radiator to the hardline fitting that is located above the front diff (Ill attach an image). The section of hose you will remove is only 2 ft long . You might have to spray some penetrating oil on the connections to make removal easier. The image below shows the connector you have to remove. It's not the bottom one but the top one that the red arrows are pointing too. Remove this and the other end that connects into the passenger side of the radiator.
Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 11.30.30 PM.png

Step 5: Once you have removed this section of hose, take a Dremel took or cutoff wheel and remove the metal crimps that hold the threaded connectors onto the factory hose as we will be reusing the factory connectors on the new hose we use.
Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 11.30.40 PM.png

Step 6: We will now run the new tranny lines. Below is a picture of how we are going to do it. First run a length of hose from the top nipple of the tranny cooler to the fitting on the passenger side tranny fitting on the radiator. You can secure this first length of hose to the tranny cooler using two hose clamps (as seen in a pic above). One of the fittings you took off from step five can be used and hose clamped on the other end of the hose and screwed into the radiator fitting. You will have to have a gradual loop in this line as you are running it from the radiator to the top of the cooler. See images below.
Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 11.37.56 PM.png

Last edited:
Step 6 Continued: See the curve I have in the tranny line highlighted in red? This curves around and heads out the hole in the front of the grille (see other image of the front end where the lines comes out and the one I have highlighted in the first image ends up connecting to the top of the cooler).
Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 11.44.03 PM.png

Image #2 Below:
Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 11.44.15 PM.png

Step 7: The next line is easy. It runs from the bottom of the cooler to the return tranny fluid hardline. Press fit and hose clamp the line onto the bottom tranny cooler nipple, then run it through the grille where I have shown in image #2 above. Use the last fitting you have left from step 5 and hose clamp it to the other end of the hose and screw it onto the top hardline that you had previously dissconnected as shown with the arrows pointing too it in step 4.

AAAAnd Your Done. That's it. Hope this helped and wasn't confusing. If it was ill respond to any questions.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom