Bow Tie Pig Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Couldn’t a glass shop cut a new mirror?
I recently tried that. Their accuracy is marginal and with 1/8 they can’t do a nice edge. I had them do a 3/16 one also with a nice bevel and it’s a very small tad to big. I’ve been sanding it dow pan slowly but not enough yet

I recently tried that. Their accuracy is marginal and with 1/8 they can’t do a nice edge. I had them do a 3/16 one also with a nice bevel and it’s a very small tad to big. I’ve been sanding it dow pan slowly but not enough yet
Did you have to bring them an unbroken mirror or did they just take measurements. Thanks for the info.

Out of curiosity, what makes this one so good? I have NO A/C in my other Cruisers so it’s all new to me. Haha

Not sure any are so good (functionally) anymore but this is the one that most think of as “factory” ac on the late 55s... plugs into the factory harness, ect...

did they just take measurements.
I took the dimensions. The mirror frame is not perfectly round without the glass in place. Measure 3 places and pick the middle on

One

I took my drivers side mirror to glass shop and they cut replacement Mirror while I waited. They did fit test and clean up sanding. Use 100% silicone to mount. So far so good..
31F8F727-AE56-41C8-B0E1-CE9C02F28AEE.jpeg

Here are a few photos of the A/C setup on the interior. Also, anyone have a driver side mirror? 😳

I have that same A/C in my 77. It works pretty well although I keep looking for that "left of the steering wheel vent" which doesn't exist.

Slo Cruisers sells reproduction mirrors that are supposed to be very high quality: https://slocruisers.com/shop/ols/products/fj55-mirrors-right-left-oe-reproductions

$180 for a pair with gaskets or $120 each. Probably worth trying the glass shop first.

A couple quick updates. Haven’t done much with the old girl in the past few weeks but I’m looking to tear into the interior and replace the tailgate.

Quick question, does this interior look aftermarket or factory? Was thinkingof trashing all carper but this looks like a factory cut.

Also, any suggestions about removing rear window motor and glass? Mine won’t roll down and the rear latch is busted. Need to remove things before it will open.

Thanks in advance!

C9C234A6-6A79-47E3-A249-0A0D7F41239B.jpeg

94CF45B7-2CF1-40E0-ACDD-7CC9DAFF7A6F.jpeg

A couple quick updates. Haven’t done much with the old girl in the past few weeks but I’m looking to tear into the interior and replace the tailgate.

Quick question, does this interior look aftermarket or factory? Was thinkingof trashing all carper but this looks like a factory cut.

Also, any suggestions about removing rear window motor and glass? Mine won’t roll down and the rear latch is busted. Need to remove things before it will open.

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 2467327

View attachment 2467328

You are going to have to disconnect the rear window glass from the mechanism to lower.
Start reading here: Rear window article available from Gary S

Found this while going through the stack of receipts that came with her. Looks like the PO’s story holds up! They yanked the 2F about a year after she rolled off the lot and replaced it with a crate Chevy 350. They were ahead of the times!

View attachment 2448503
This the V8 swap I was telling you about: Luck of the pig

You are going to have to disconnect the rear window glass from the mechanism to lower.
Start reading here: Rear window article available from Gary S
@PabloCruise thanks for the insight and great to meet you yesterday! I can’t wait to get the new grill on, I was distracted by an interior tear down when I got home.

Was able to get the window motor out and lower the glass. Still need to get it out of the tailgate and into the new one. Rust was preventing me from getting her open but after some extra persuasion, she gave up the fight!

I decided to dump the interior carpet and cross my fingers that nothing was stock and too hard to replace. Took out the custom made box too. No more messing around, this pig needs to get the full treatment ASAP!

2E37BEC7-CB44-419C-AE63-0569BC1AACE3.jpeg

5C1BADBA-60CF-4E45-90DC-7830D77D7F07.jpeg

FB917516-6B9E-4789-96D2-0BD347E6988B.jpeg

E5D7EFC1-7F19-4AD6-BB37-007415DB6A27.jpeg

Alright fellas. Got some updates. Finally found time to pull the factory floor mats and see the damage underneath. Also, chipped away at some floor padding that has become hard as a rock.

I need an honest opinion, how bad is the road ahead? (Btw, left the wife’s pink hammer in the photo intentionally, seemed fitting for my level of expertise with this build).

5A84C4EE-1FEA-4D91-909B-4FF893EF644A.jpeg

52A3229F-B85B-4059-A00F-56FCAC4BEB36.jpeg

65AA5F03-4C8B-4B83-9ED7-590C55C48607.jpeg

This is the part that separates the real enthusiasts from the casual fans. You could probably go through the last 20 build threads and find 15 that had to make a decision at this point. Probably 5 or less went to work replacing sheetmetal. The others either cut their losses and got out while they could or went with plan “B”. It’s not a super difficult job if you know your way around some fabrication tools, just mostly time consuming.

This is the part that separates the real enthusiasts from the casual fans. You could probably go through the last 20 build threads and find 15 that had to make a decision at this point. Probably 5 or less went to work replacing sheetmetal. The others either cut their losses and got out while they could or went with plan “B”. It’s not a super difficult job if you know your way around some fabrication tools, just mostly time consuming.
Well I’m definitely not a fabricator by any means. But I’m willing to keep tearing things down and replacing them bit by bit. If I could have a shop help with some of the parts @bobm has made and also do some fab work, I’ll live with the rough appearance while having some fun. So far I’m in $2500 and always have wanted a Pig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom