Alternator Issue/Debate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My first post as a member as I've exasperated all other options. Thank you all in advance should you decide to take a look into my issue.

My internally regulated alternator on my 1982 FJ60 stopped charging my battery. I was unsuccessful at finding one locally, so I ordered a new Altec one from Cruiser Corps (Cruiser Corps) as per their confirmation and recommendation. However, they sent me one with two pulleys when I have a single band system currently. The other issue is that single bands are also far wider. See two photos below.
1601504512471.png

1601504687037.png

Cruiser Corps says there's no error on their side and that I can just mount it and choose one of the pulleys (leaving one free) and have the wider band overlap the groove, but the mechanic I took it to says there's no chance I can do this. Also seems strange to me. See below photo of a customer that they said did this.

1601504840941.png

Secondly, the pulleys cannot be switched over because the shaft on each of the alternators are a different diameter (see above second photo).

So as an alternative the mechanic I took it to rebuilt my alternator, but they now say I need two extra parts to finish the job that I can't find anywhere:
1. Charging Light Relay OE: 27790-131010
2. Voltage Regulator OE: 27060-61011

So the question is:
1) Can I use this new alternator despite band thickness difference?
2) Any tips on where to find those other two parts?

Once again, very grateful for all your help!

A pic of my Cruiser:

1601505310465.png

You will need to take the pulley off of your old alternator and put it on the new one. How much did you pay Cruiser Corp for that alternator? I got a reman AC delco from Rockauto for about $50, I swapped to my old pulley and all good since.

You should pull the nuts off both alternators and see if you can fit the pulley. you might find that the nuts are different sizes but the actual shafts are the same.

This is my new alternator with the old pulley on it comparing the pulley they came with it. I thought it wasn't going to fit either but found the old alternator used a smaller bolt and the shaft stepped up in diameter. The newer alternator had a bigger nut and similar shaft diameter. but it fit just fine.

1601516446452.png

The hardest part was finding the socket that was the correct size to get the nut off the new alternator. I cannot remember off the top of my head what it was but will check to see if I have notes....it was in the 24mm ball park

Last edited:
That looks like an alternator for a FJ62 - those use the double pulley. When I put the FJ62 alternator into my 60, I did exactly what Seth said and pulled the old pulley / fan off my 60 alternator and put it on the FJ62 alternator. You will need an impact gun to do it, unless you really want to disassemble the alternator and torque the nut per FSM. For many vehicles, I have used an impact. Just don't go crazy tightening it.

Look at the mounting holes for the new alt. If they are clocked differently than the 60 alternator you will likely need to shave the ends of the alt fan down slightly for it to clear the alternator bracket. There is a thread somewhere where JimC talks about the mod. Check also the wire pigtail that goes into the back. Same story - if it is a 62 alternator the plug is different and you will need to either build some jumper wires or get a pigtail from coolerman here on mud to set it up. The good news with the 62 unit is that it puts out 80 amps instead of 50.

Wow thank you all for such detailed and prompt replies. They weren't kidding about the ih8mud community!

@OSS

that's instead of part Voltage Regulator OE: 27060-61011 (which bolts onto the stock alternator)?

@Seth S

I got an AC Delco same as yours but Cruiser Corps charged me $211? $50 of which was express shipping, hopefully I didn't overpay by 3X?

1601570908304.png

1601570865105.png

That's really helpful to know that it fit fine despite a different size in bolt as well as shaft? I figured there was no way (as did the mechanic). That being said, it seems like the shaft sizes are quite different between mine? See below pic, top is new AC Delco, below is my stock alternator. The shaft on the new alternator seems larger than the old, so I would maybe have to bore out the pulley of the old one?
Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 9.50.42 AM.png

@lcolon

Thanks. This is the first I've heard that it may be a FJ62 alternator. I was told by Cruiser Corps that this AC Delco was for FJ60 specifically and that the only difference was that the design of the internally regulated version now had the voltage regulator enclosed vs. sitting on top as a bolt on. See below for picture comparing the two with part # included.

1601572204880.png

I will try with the mechanic once more to get them to swap the pulley. Appreciate the notes on tightening tips.

One question remains. If I am able to use this new AC Delco, it has a voltage regulator integrated, but will I still need the Charging Light Relay OE: 27790-131010 as the mechanic is instructing me?

Currently their recommendation is use my existing alternator that's been redone and just find the following two parts and everything will work, but can't find anywhere.
Charging Light Relay OE: 27790-131010
Voltage Regulator OE: 27060-61011

A million thanks again.

Last edited:
The shaft size you see is not necessarily the shaft size that the pulley fits on. I will find my old alternator and take a picture of the shaft. Iirc the threads were a smaller diameter because I had the same concern at first.

this is the one I ordered from rock auto.

A0499871-1772-44B5-9EC8-65F5D6849F53.jpeg

You won’t need a charging light relay...or I certainly didn’t. I plugged my new alternator in and the dash charging light worked perfectly.

The shaft size you see is not necessarily the shaft size that the pulley fits on. I will find my old alternator and take a picture of the shaft. Iirc the threads were a smaller diameter because I had the same concern at first.

this is the one I ordered from rock auto.

View attachment 2452179

Wow speedy and exact! @Seth S you are a pro.

That makes a lot of sense. Will get mechanic to dissemble both. If you do find that photo, that would be very helpful .

And yep. That's the exact same part number as indicated in my photo...

that's instead of part Voltage Regulator OE: 27060-61011 (which bolts onto the stock alternator

Yes the part number on the box is different because it's a remanufacured part (from Toyota). It's the bolt on regulator that is used in the original FJ60 alternator .

regulator DSC05293.JPG

regulator DSC05296.JPG

Here you go. Three photos of the old alternator. You can see the two row pulley fits on no problem and that the shaft where the pulley rides is the same size. Just the threaded part is smaller diameter.
B55E0F80-F688-4A8E-9BDF-63BEF801204C.jpeg
AF6530FD-D145-465C-9A73-544E2EE03994.jpeg
21FE7E99-12D3-4780-958D-16EE2424DF78.jpeg

The old alternator needs a 21mm socket to get the nut off. The new one is a 24mm or 25mm iirc.

Mine also came with a double pulley. I bought a 14340 off Amazon. somehow I caught this on sale for $26.91 not ten years ago...but 7/2019. This one:

Amazon product ASIN B000ESDGOA

It was plug and play except for swapping out the double pulley. A thin walled 24mm socket was needed to clear the snout of the pulley. In other words the nut is recessed in the pulley and a fat 24mm impact socket with heavy walls didn't fit inside the double pulley to get on the nut. Agreed an impact wrench is much easier than taking the alternator out of the housing.

UPDATE:
Mechanic took the original pulley off like everyone has been suggesting and the old pulley did indeed fit on the new alternator despite what it looked like. It's charging now, but apparently only getting between 13-13.3V depending on load, but assuming that's acceptable...

I now have the old alternator that's perfectly good (rebuilt) and just needs the part that @OSS indicates. Will see if I can sell.

The remaining issue is that the charging light doesn't come on so I'm still up the creek looking for the following part: Charging Light Relay OE: 27790-131010

But can live without it I suppose.

Just another massive thank you to all of you. My first forum experience was such a positive one and I'm looking forward to connecting with you all again and paying it forward. Appreciate you all! Will now get out and drive again finally.

13-13.3 is fine. Normal running range is 12.8 to 14.4 volts depending on load and battery condition and battery cable condition.

I forget...did your battery light work before? If not then it could just be that the bulb is burned out.

@ToyotaMatt has NOS pulleys for 60-series alternators and Regulators on his website

Last edited:
My first post as a member as I've exasperated all other options. Thank you all in advance should you decide to take a look into my issue.

My internally regulated alternator on my 1982 FJ60 stopped charging my battery. I was unsuccessful at finding one locally, so I ordered a new Altec one from Cruiser Corps (Cruiser Corps) as per their confirmation and recommendation. However, they sent me one with two pulleys when I have a single band system currently. The other issue is that single bands are also far wider. See two photos below.
View attachment 2451410

View attachment 2451413

Cruiser Corps says there's no error on their side and that I can just mount it and choose one of the pulleys (leaving one free) and have the wider band overlap the groove, but the mechanic I took it to says there's no chance I can do this. Also seems strange to me. See below photo of a customer that they said did this.

View attachment 2451415

Secondly, the pulleys cannot be switched over because the shaft on each of the alternators are a different diameter (see above second photo).

So as an alternative the mechanic I took it to rebuilt my alternator, but they now say I need two extra parts to finish the job that I can't find anywhere:
1. Charging Light Relay OE: 27790-131010
2. Voltage Regulator OE: 27060-61011

So the question is:
1) Can I use this new alternator despite band thickness difference?
2) Any tips on where to find those other two parts?

Once again, very grateful for all your help!

A pic of my Cruiser:

@ToyotaMatt has NOS pulleys for 60-series alternators and Regulators on his website

Yes he does ........... :cool:

1601690692866.png

I also keep good stock ,of ANY needed mounting hardware , and the drive belt Tensione Kit #2 as well , all oem toyota genuine parts 100%

FEC93FEE-92A8-4C0C-8D54-DE8D1A099B54.jpeg

D807CC34-8901-415B-B8F2-37D2819F1D2D.jpeg

I also keep plenty of new OEM Pully nuts & both the unique IC voltage regulator mounting hardware in updated stainless steel jis marine grade ...

51421B9D-7EBA-4EF6-8171-661AC1E0CAFD.jpeg

denso6666 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Wonderful! Thank you @ToyotaMatt great to know for the future.

Also, finally heard back from CruiserParts.net They had both original parts I was looking for:

Charging Light Relay OE: 27790-131010

Voltage Regulator OE: 27060-61011

No word back from Cruiser Corps on original egregious pricing or to comment on their original suggestion of putting a wide single band over top the thinner double pulley.

Remaining Issue

As per attached video, now when I half turn the key and turn on electrical/battery, there's a weird thumping/ticking noise emerging from the front passenger footwell. I am told that's where a panel is (have yet to open it up) and where the Charing Light Relay should be replaced. Does anyone know if that's the solution or what these symptoms are? Oddly enough if i turn the engine on and turn off and leave half turned the noise doesn't happen- only when going from 0 to half turn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom