Trail communications for club (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok so nobody is running GMRS? We hack the Baofeng to operate on FRS frequencies. But from this post it sounds like HAM is ultimately what we are trying to get everyone to move toward - right?

Last edited:
Ever since I read this discussion, I've had the Clutch song "50,000 unstoppable Watts" stuck in my head..."Anthrax, HAM Radio, and Liquor..." PS - BaoFeng on order. Anybody grab the longer screw-in antenna or does everyone just use the stubby one it comes with?

Reactions: caz
I have the upgrades antenna. I don't know if it makes a difference.

I have the upgrades antenna. I don't know if it makes a difference.
The older 1st gen UV5R came with a very short antenna, but the newer ones come with a slightly longer one and it makes a difference, albeit marginal. There are some other replacement antennae available on Amazon, but then it becomes ridiculous to clip to a belt.
An external antenna will always be the best choice for any radio.

Well - I got this today. Figured out how to turn it on and play some tunes - how to actually use it as a radio - no clue...

Guess now I need to get lisenced.

BFD4E476-6199-4791-81C3-2DB7C7563508.jpeg

I think you hit the bottom button on the side for FM tunes! But it works better as a HAM radio.
With a license!

I think you hit the bottom button on the side for FM tunes! But it works better as a HAM radio.
With a license!

That's the first thing I discovered - at least my 40 has FM radio now! sound quality is actually suprisingly good/clear.

@Pacer @fireball and I are now legal Ham operators.

i actually received my physical confirmation today.

My call sign is KC3PAX

Already made the joke elsewhere, but I’m adding this to my list of aliases.

Casey Threepacks.

new guy here:

this thread has been very helpful. for a while i was thinking that id have to mount three radios in my runner haha. i have been studying for my HAM license and will probably get a handheld...but the mobiles are looking mighty fine. for anyone with a 5th gen, where did you mount your antenna?

you can take the HAM test online now as well.

gonna keep studying and take the test pretty soon.

Or just give @jamarquardt22 your radio for him to set everything up for you. You just have to be OK with getting it back with a nickname possibly :rolleyes:

Or just give @jamarquardt22 your radio for him to set everything up for you. You just have to be OK with getting it back with a nickname possibly :rolleyes:

That’s what I do. Every. Single. Wheeling day. I still don’t even know how to pick a channel. :(

See. I never wanted to be "the radio guy" I'm not really into it. So I advise everyone to learn how to work their junk.

See. I never wanted to be "the radio guy" I'm not really into it. So I advise everyone to learn how to work their junk.

Maybe one of our non-wheeling club events can be a general overview of Radio operation (not a whole course) as it pertains to club use - ie: how to use chirp, how to use a BooFang, etc. I’ve certainly been led to water enough times on the radio thing but I’m pretty sure someone’s going to need to drown me in it to actually get me to learn something. I’m 100% sure it isn’t difficult I just don’t use it enough for any of it to stick.

I would attend because I could stand to know more but I'm not leading this circus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom