Archer the 1985 4runner build? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not sure if this is going all that far but I’ll start logging stuff here to help keep a timeline of stuff.

Bought this 1985 4runner in October of 2019 with around 125k. Some dents and scrapes but looked amazingly clean everywhere.

F6C7FA4A-A825-4DC5-A132-F5333998801D.jpeg

740ED806-7B9A-4C59-B86B-A7B0F7CB30C5.png

26E245BC-C692-4208-8274-5FDB67AD4544.png

D3ED349D-C7F1-486A-87B9-5410B8B6DF67.png

It had a slight miss from injectors that we’re working at maybe 40% combined efficiency. Had the injectors rebuilt. Still need to replace the cold start injector. The plenum was caked with gunk So I had a shop give it a hot bath. Replace the pcv and a fresh oil change. Decide to change out the fuel filter as well. New cap, rotor, wires, plugs etc.

One day over summer the wife was driving to the beach and the 4runner started over heating while in traffic. Had the stock radiator rebuilt. New thermostat and flushed the system. Runs cool as can be now.

Been burning some oil so I topped off the motor with 20w/50 and a a plush splash of seafoam here and there. Gona give it a proper oil change in the AM and start tracking the oil eatin’.

Oh and had a OME lift, 4.88’s and marlin high steer kit installed. Fj40 wheels painted 4e8(metallic beige) with 33” Grabber x3’s. Really enjoy the ride now. So much better than the clapped out stock suspension.

65BEB98A-2B8B-4953-A2EE-F096AD26057B.jpeg

212B2103-6E67-4E70-9210-D071E47E3987.jpeg

4326169E-7419-4FCD-B80B-1AC0E33372BE.jpeg

Oh and had a OME lift, 4.88’s and marlin high steer kit installed. Fj40 wheels painted 4e8(metallic beige) with 33” Grabber x3’s. Really enjoy the ride now. So much better than the clapped out stock suspension.

LOL so nonchalant...

Totally transformed it! Beautiful!

@Txfireman oh man sweet score. Those seats too, like finding some gold there. People around my neck of the woods want $500-900 a pair of decent SR5 pattern seats.

If you ever run into heating issues, I suggest a high end electric fan. I was against them for years but recently installed one and couldn’t be happier. Moves a TON of air, especially helpful when I’m playing around in 4 low or sitting in traffic. Super jealous of all these mint dashs and beautiful interiors all around. My dash looks like a hard desert floor. Sweet rigs all around guys.

Looks great. I was planning on doing some similar changes to mine, just haven’t had the chance yet. What soft top brand did you go with? And are the decals from James Dean or Etsy? Were they easy to apply?

Looks great. I was planning on doing some similar changes to mine, just haven’t had the chance yet. What soft top brand did you go with? And are the decals from James Dean or Etsy? Were they easy to apply?
The soft top is by Softopper. The decals are James Dean. I wouldn’t say the decals are difficult to apply as you do a wet application and can adjust things as you go. I was kinda racing against sunset so I was rushing but all in all I’m happy with it. if I was to do it over again I would lay painters tape down to line up the bottom edge on the doors better and down the inside line on the hood.

@Jasonredwood - that is PERFECT! The graphics, the wheels (!), tires, soft top... Nailed it!

Oh, and yeah - I'd drive the *$#& out of a 4wardRunner. Nicely 'shopped.

How do you like the ride for your OME lift? Did you remove any leafs?

I've got a new in box one for sale that came with my truck and I'm getting no bites even at half. The suspension on my truck is fine but I may moth ball this OME lift for a few years and use it when I've worn out the springs on my truck now.

How do you like the ride for your OME lift? Did you remove any leafs?

I've got a new in box one for sale that came with my truck and I'm getting no bites even at half. The suspension on my truck is fine but I may moth ball this OME lift for a few years and use it when I've worn out the springs on my truck now.
It rides better than the og clapped out suspension. It’s definitely stiff. I ordered the heavy front and back. If I don’t end up adding weight with in the next year I’ll remove a leaf to soften things up

Lil updates. Installed a brown carpet kit, new puppy has thrown up on it twice. I dont like the fit so much so if I change it out i'll probably go with a vinyl kit later.
My new Marlin Crawler rebuilt steering box started leaking from the inout shaft area. Stoked that they had a replacement to me with a couple days. Really cool of them. Hadn't had that great of luck with with them when a wrong clutch kit was sent to me a decade or more ago, so pleasantly surprised.
Put the hard top back on. Finally got the rig offroad and was very happy with the OME suspension, its softened up some.
The truck is burning a quart or so every 250 miles even with 20w/50 and Stop Leak so been searching different rebuild options.

IMG_8074.JPG

IMG_8076.JPG

IMG_8078.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom