Need Some Advice Buying 1997 Lexus LX450! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm with you. heck if you have the cash i say scoop it up, clean up the little aesthetic stuff, and list it for more haha
Honestly that’s something I would be okay with. If everything checks out I have the option to resell and fund my current LJ78 or keep it and try to modify it to make it my daily rig! It’s just hard to decide between keeping the LJ78 or selling even though it’s heavily underpowered and not so reliable with the stock motor.

Honestly that’s something I would be okay with. If everything checks out I have the option to resell and fund my current LJ78 or keep it and try to modify it to make it my daily rig! It’s just hard to decide between keeping the LJ78 or selling even though it’s heavily underpowered and not so reliable with the stock motor.

That's a tough spot to be in. the 1FZ-FE is not a great motor, but it isn't bad. The only thing i miss from my 100 series is that V8.

I’m also in Canada. That is incredibly cheap for a triple locked 80 series with low mileage. Look for rust in rockers, doors, upper tailgate etc. It will be sold very quickly as it can easily be flipped for more money.

I’m also in Canada. That is incredibly cheap for a triple locked 80 series with low mileage. Look for rust in rockers, doors, upper tailgate etc. It will be sold very quickly as it can easily be flipped for more money.
Thanks for your expertise. Yeah it’s a smoking deal if everything checks out. I can see little bit of rust on the foot panel area but I’m not sure if that can be removed. What would be a good offer for this guy... $9000?

Thanks for your expertise. Yeah it’s a smoking deal if everything checks out. I can see little bit of rust on the foot panel area but I’m not sure if that can be removed. What would be a good offer for this guy... $9000?

Its well below market price if it’s not hiding a bunch of rust. That truck if it’s fairly clean should be minimum $15k CDN given the low mileage and lockers. Im shocked it’s not already sold so I would just buy it for whatever he will take.

I would take a look at the pesky heater hose. Has it been changed? This isn’t a determining factor. But it’s a pain to do. Ask me how I know.

But looking at the pics there’s rust on the tail end of this guy. I suspect underneath it is pretty rusty.

This will bring all kinds of challenges. If it’s just surface rust that’s one thing but if it is rusty front to rear. Run.

It will take cash to get this where you want it. Especially depending on what you want to do. Just catching up on maintenance could be over $1000 depending on what you do. (Fan clutch + knuckle rebuilds + PS Pump + oil seals + changing all fluids)

The Lexus has a softer suspension than the LC so you’ll want to deal with that sooner than later as well. It’s noticeable when you load up the back. It will squat pretty quickly.

If it isn’t a rust bucket I’m sure you can make it work but you already have another project rolling. Do you need 2?

The Lexus has a softer suspension than the LC so you’ll want to deal with that sooner than later as well. It’s noticeable when you load up the back. It will squat pretty quickly.

Is is the springs and shocks that are softer? i ask because i have heard it's the shocks, and if that's the case, at 23 years old, there's a chance the shocks have been replaced with something that may be the LC equivalent. If it's also the springs, well that would explain a lot about why my LX feels like i'm driving a boat more than an SUV.

So
I would take a look at the pesky heater hose. Has it been changed? This isn’t a determining factor. But it’s a pain to do. Ask me how I know.

But looking at the pics there’s rust on the tail end of this guy. I suspect underneath it is pretty rusty.

This will bring all kinds of challenges. If it’s just surface rust that’s one thing but if it is rusty front to rear. Run.

It will take cash to get this where you want it. Especially depending on what you want to do. Just catching up on maintenance could be over $1000 depending on what you do. (Fan clutch + knuckle rebuilds + PS Pump + oil seals + changing all fluids)

If it isn’t a rust bucket I’m sure you can make it work but you already have another project rolling. Do you need 2?
So I just communicated with the guy and he said he’s not willing to take offers at the moment until next week so unless I am willing to pay asking price he doesn’t want me to come. I said I’ll still check it out and pay if it’s good to just hold my spot, so fingers crossed.
And currently I do have a LJ78 for a project but I am not deep in it and from the seems of it it might be worth it to put my money in a 80series instead of risking it with 2LTE and the cost of it.
Let me know what you guys think. Obviously there are some things that needs to be done from the sound of it but I’m looking for a long term project so I can work on it as I go.
And yes if it’s a rust bucket that’s a no go for me

So

So I just communicated with the guy and he said he’s not willing to take offers at the moment until next week so unless I am willing to pay asking price he doesn’t want me to come. I said I’ll still check it out and pay if it’s good to just hold my spot, so fingers crossed.
And currently I do have a LJ78 for a project but I am not deep in it and from the seems of it it might be worth it to put my money in a 80series instead of risking it with 2LTE and the cost of it.
Let me know what you guys think. Obviously there are some things that needs to be done from the sound of it but I’m looking for a long term project so I can work on it as I go.
And yes if it’s a rust bucket that’s a no go for me
Assuming it's not rusty, i would give him what he's asking.

Assuming it's not rusty, i would give him what he's asking.
Yeah I think as long as drive terrain, engine, body has no rust I’m think the same. If it doesn’t work out I can end up selling for little more or the same price since it got a lot of interest at the $9800 mark.

Yeah I think as long as drive terrain, engine, body has no rust I’m think the same. If it doesn’t work out I can end up selling for little more or the same price since it got a lot of interest at the $9800 mark.
i'd worry most about the frame for rust. Body rust is bad too, but frame rot is the worst.

Yes for sure, I meant to say that but yeah frame rust I’m not taking. Little body rust might be worth it.
bets of luck man. post up here if you get it. I have and LX myself and other than a couple things the previous owner lied about, i love it. One big deal that i'll warn you about is the viscous coupling. I don't know that this happens often, but mine was seized. Here's one way to check. on flat road, durn the wheel and let off the brake. the truck should move freely. Mine did not, it was like someone was pressing the brakes when the wheel was turned. I ended up having to remove myf ront drive shaft andf lock the center diff (which is how i'm driving it now) until i can get it fixed. it's a huge pain.

bets of luck man. post up here if you get it. I have and LX myself and other than a couple things the previous owner lied about, i love it. One big deal that i'll warn you about is the viscous coupling. I don't know that this happens often, but mine was seized. Here's one way to check. on flat road, durn the wheel and let off the brake. the truck should move freely. Mine did not, it was like someone was pressing the brakes when the wheel was turned. I ended up having to remove myf ront drive shaft andf lock the center diff (which is how i'm driving it now) until i can get it fixed. it's a huge pain.
thanks for your advice! What is viscous coupling if you don’t mind? Also to check it do I need to spin the wheel on drive while holding down the break and let go and see how the car moves?
I’ll keep you guys updated and any other tips and tricks for checking out the vehicle would be appreciated!

thanks for your advice! What is viscous coupling if you don’t mind? Also to check it do I need to spin the wheel on drive while holding down the break and let go and see how the car moves?
I’ll keep you guys updated and any other tips and tricks for checking out the vehicle would be appreciated!
it's like a LSD inside the center diff. it's unnecessary and most years of that specific transfer case didn't' even come with one (like in the 100 series). if seized, people usually just remove them altogether (which i will be doing as well, when i have time). I did not need to do that to check on mine as it was VERY obviously seized in my case. i couldn't turn my wheel more than 5 degrees or so before the truck would stop. Your mileage may vary. when turned to lock, if you hit the gas on pavement, you'll hear the tires grunt and squeal if the VC is seized. I don't know how common this issue is, i am only making a big deal out of it because mine was seized when i got my truck. The on you're looking at has half the mileage as mine so hopefully it's a non-issue for you!

Update!
I ended up buying the car! Super happy with the purchase tbh. I was little worried that the seller wasn’t very flexible but turns out he is very reasonable and cruiser head himself. The engine and transmission was in good shape and all the lockers seems to be working. Some minor rust on the foot board and around some edges and tailgate but the frame and underneath are solid! The previous owner was an older couple who just used it for winter driving and groceries by the looks of it. I don’t have the car with me today but should be going to pick it up this week. Keep you all posted and hopefully get some tips on fixing the rust and little things up here and there.
Thanks for your expertise, truly awesome to be part of such amazing community.

3DDEA403-FFC7-4E53-817D-0672D16ED3B2.jpeg

60407007-8D01-4CC3-A91E-FDCCE00F934E.jpeg

5F758E6C-9D01-4D19-819A-8687A0636545.jpeg

3E30A68B-2043-40A8-A9FC-18B2E8442336.jpeg

Hi everyone,

Today I came across a 1997 Lexus LX450 near my area. I am going to take a look at it tomorrow afternoon and wanted some advice.

I am not too familiar with the value of these vehicles as I have been researching things on the LJ78.

It says the vehicle is FZJ80 series LX450 and all I know is that it has a very reliable motor. I currently am trying to rebuild my LJ78 and probably looking at putting in stock 2LTE (was considering 1UZ swap but don’t have the time and resources). This is much more upfront then I want to spend but I feel like it’ll be well worth my time&money if it holds true to the reliability and the increase in value.

I don’t know much about this vehicle other than what the add says and will be going to take look at it tomorrow afternoon. If I can get tips and advice regards to this vehicle it will be awesome!
Thank you

View attachment 2449691

View attachment 2449692

View attachment 2449694

View attachment 2449695
I have the same truck (including color) that I purchased this year (similar mileage, but in even better shape and with mods). If the odo is showing Km, the lockers engage and there’s no rust, just buy it. Shoot him an offer, but I wouldn’t haggle. It will become someone else’s win if you don’t buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom