Potential new owner, different kind of question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, as the title suggests I am a potential owner of a new (to me) Land cruiser. Hopefully someone can provide some insight. To cut a long story short I have the possibility of buying/importing a 2000 100 series in Europe (my cousin lives in Germany and has found a 100 series for me, after 8 months of looking) . When I'm embarking on a paperwork exercise I like to have as much advance info as possible.

My question to the knowledgable is what would the land cruiser be worth over here (once it is registered for use on the road after the government inspections and all the import paperwork etc, as in it would have a valid Canadian license plate). I would need to have a declared value, apparently, on the import form for the vehicle and I am finding it hard to source a reliable figure for what the cruiser would be worth on the road over here, after all the taxes, inspections etc. Just to keep the customs happy when I'm filling out the import paperwork. I know customs would use the blue book to get a value but from what I can gather they would only be looking at gas ones and not a diesel LC. Also I would need to have a value for the marine insurance for when the vehicle goes into a shipping container for transport. Because if the value I pay for it in Germany is less than the value of the LC over here then I would like to insure it for what it's true value is here. Just so I don't get stiffed by an insurance company if it got damaged in transit.

So would anybody here be able to give a rough value of the vehicle on this side of the pond, in US $$ or CAD$$? This is after it has been registered/inspected/tested etc for use on the road in Canada. I see prices on autotrader Canada but I have no idea if those prices are real world or even attainable. Plus most of the diesel LC's for sale are mainly RHD and automatic's. I know a value is all relative, as a vehicle is only worth what somebody would actually be willing to pay for it. Anyways

To give you an idea of the spec of what my cousin has found for me

Model HDJ100L European Domestic Market vehicle
Year: 2000
Left hand Drive
Manual transmission
4.2 1HD-FTE
142915 miles on the clock ( KM on speedo not miles)
Springs all round from factory no AHC
Rear diff lock from factory
Factory fitted cold weather pack- power heater for cold mornings, heated wing mirrors, heated seats
4.2 1HD-FTE
142915 miles on the clock although KM on speedo
Long range fuel tank fitted ( 205 litres of diesel onboard in total between two tanks) which all works apparently.
Snorkel
Kaymar spare wheel carrier
Koni raid Heavy track shocks all round

It has service history, solid chassis and the body is in great condition for a 20 year old vehicle. The seller reckons he gets about 500 miles (800km) to one tank of diesel so if both tanks are full it should be about a 1000 mile range??? (I guess on a long run not sure about city mileage though). There in no hitch fitted and 2 previous owners. It also comes with factory cloth seats and no fittings/fixtures for a third row of seats. Apparently it was just a weekend ride for the last owner. It has not come from a farm or been used to tow trailers about Europe.

Anyways thanks for reading this, kind of a bit longer post than I thought! If anyone can provide a rough estimate of the value of my potential purchase that would be great. Thanks all

LHD, diesel, and manual transmission is going to make it stand out over here, sounds like it’s worth the extra effort.

Last edited:
What's the bottom side look like? If it's pristine, $30-36k CAD.

Thanks for the reply's folks. The CAD figure is way more than I thought it might be worth on the road over here! I guess a factory fitted diesel is a bit rarer over in this neck of the woods than back in Europe and I'm finding a stick shift is equally a rarity over here. I'm going for the 1HD-FTE engine as I live near the mountains and I figure a 1HZ might struggle quietly with the altitude and the gradients. I know the HZ is an excellent engine and that it would make it up just at a slower rate. As regards the underneath my cousin took a magnet and screwdriver with him when he went to look at it. He did a bit of quiet detective work with the tools at hand and he reckons all the sills/rails and the chassis itself is sound as. Simon, my cousin, is a civil engineer by trade, so hopefully his assessment carries some weight behind it (pardon the pun). Apparently this LC's led a fairly easy life in Europe and has been kept away from salted roads (apparently) in winter.

Guys would be chomping at the bit to get a diesel with a manual transmission over here as well as in Canada. As far as I know, in the 100 they only sold Lexus LX in Canada, not the LC.

That rig seems like a high value one to me. A 2000 Land Cruiser, US spec with 142k miles and solid condition and Locking Diff might fetch as much as $15,000 in the US. Figure in that engine/trans combo and shoots way up. Who knows, $25,000?

Can you get any photos? That may help guys on the forum give you a value.

Some thoughts:

1, The 1HZ were not fitted to the 100 series, just the 1HD-FTE. The 105 (solid front axle) has the 1HZ and doesn't have the 1HD. At least this is the case in Europe.
2, I get 500-600km from the stock tank with the 1HD, although this is an automatic. So it's 13-15 l/100km.
3, The 1HD has its own quirks: Turbo, Fuel injection pump (very expensive), Injectors - to name a few. (I believe these aren't available in North America, so it would be a PITA to work on these / replace these). It's not at all more reliable than the 2UZ. You couldn't even buy an AC/Power heater serpentine belt for it in the US.
4, The Diesel has a different length Torsion bar from the Petrol - not sure if this is an issue, but if you ever want to swap the stock bars, you'd need to order from Europe probably.
5, I'd be very careful about buying from Europe, as 9 out of 10 cars (see +1 point below) probably have their ODO altered (rewound), and with a car like the 100, it's easy to lie about a couple hundred thousands of km's.
6, If it is from Germany, I'm sure it will have at least some rust on it.
7, If I lived in North America, I'd for sure buy a petrol. Getting spare parts for that engine / auto transmission would be a lot easier and cheaper.

+1, The LC prices in Europe are ridiculously high, no matter if it is petrol or diesel. Pre-facelift 100's easily go for 16.000USD, while facelift ones can cost 20-25k USD. It's not because they're diesel or better in any form, it's because they're very rare here. Because of the rareness, it also gives place to frauds. It's sad, but half of eastern europe lives out of this (altering odo's on cars and ripping off buyers because of this), and these guys are everywhere around europe, they especially like to head for the german market, as it is close to their home land and easy to run a business there. There are exceptions and miracles ofcourse.

Last edited:
Some thoughts:

1, The 1HZ were not fitted to the 100 series, just the 1HD-FTE. The 105 (solid front axle) has the 1HZ and doesn't have the 1HD. At least this is the case in Europe.
2, I get 500-600km from the stock tank with the 1HD, although this is an automatic. So it's 13-15 l/100km.
3, The 1HD has its own quirks: Turbo, Fuel injection pump (very expensive), Injectors - to name a few. (I believe these aren't available in North America, so it would be a PITA to work on these / replace these). It's not at all more reliable than the 2UZ. You couldn't even buy an AC/Power heater serpentine belt for it in the US.
4, The Diesel has a different length Torsion bar from the Petrol - not sure if this is an issue, but if you ever want to swap the stock bars, you'd need to order from Europe probably.
5, I'd be very careful about buying from Europe, as 9 out of 10 cars (see +1 point below) probably have their ODO altered (rewound), and with a car like the 100, it's easy to lie about a couple hundred thousands of km's.
6, If it is from Germany, I'm sure it will have at least some rust on it.
7, If I lived in North America, I'd for sure buy a petrol. Getting spare parts for that engine / auto transmission would be a lot easier and cheaper.

+1, The LC prices in Europe are ridiculously high, no matter if it is petrol or diesel. Pre-facelift 100's easily go for 16.000USD, while facelift ones can cost 20-25k USD. It's not because they're diesel or better in any form, it's because they're very rare here. Because of the rareness, it also gives place to frauds. It's sad, but half of eastern europe lives out of this (altering odo's on cars and ripping off buyers because of this), and these guys are everywhere around europe, they especially like to head for the german market, as it is close to their home land and easy to run a business there. There are exceptions and miracles ofcourse.

^ couldn't have said it better than I would of

When OP said he didn't know the value and the pretty accurate figure that I put out was significantly over his initial value, I really had to wonder what OP was up to. If you're getting the above stated hdj100 for anything less than $30-35k CAD in germany, it's too good to be true. 100s are extremely rare in europe, and one that has 140k kms and has no rust?

There's no way a 2000 LC would have 80k miles/140k kms without the odo having been tampered with.

There's no 100 series parts ever in Canada or ever stocked on hand by Toyota Canada, they all come from their US warehouse which adds about 10 days to the usual overnight experience with dealerships. Add in that it's the HDJ100, forget about getting parts anywhere from North America. UPS and their customs brokerage charges, on top of shipping and duty are going to burn a little hole in your pocket with packs coming from Russia, Dubai, and Japan.

If you've got experience with non USDM cars in Canada, then this might be right up your alley.

The Canadian price of the cruiser is going to be roughly the same as what it would sell for in Germany.

Just been reading through the reply's and it sure has given me a lot to think about before making the purchase. A few things that I forgot to add was that the vehicle was originally purchased from a Toyota dealership in Belgium but has lived the rest of it's life in Luxembourg. That is where the vehicle is currently registered and residing. Anyways thanks for all the great info, it sure does give me a lot to chew over before I make the decision.

I would check Japan market first rather than europe, low miles and good care over there.

Ringo, I'm looking to buy a rust free 100, or just a rust free body to my 2004 HDJ. Thinking of getting a UZJ from the US, as that's where they are cheapest. And I wouldn't mind the 2UZJ (great engine and power) although I've always had diesels. Why don't we swap, I get a UZJ in the US and drive it up to you in Canada, and you ship the HDJ from Lux to Norway - Deal? :grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom