06 LX Timing Belt Clarification (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just about to start the timing belt service on my 06 LX, FSM states that the belt should be removed at 45 deg BTDC and then in the installation portion mentions putting the engine at Cylinder 1 TDC. My question is that do I place to line up the crank/cams to TDC and install the new belt or am I to install the belt at 45 deg BTDC? Just want to clarify since this seems like I might as well take the belt off at TDC, but being a VVTI I don't know if its the best idea.

Probably best to follow the FSM. When I did the job on my '06 ~5 years ago, I did it at TDC and, as soon as I took the belt off, my camshaft pulleys both rolled inwards by about 45 degrees. It was as if the valve train was under pressure at TDC so maybe rolling the motor to 45 degrees BTDC alleviates that issue (pure speculation).

I was able to roll my cam pulleys back to their timing marks while putting the belt back on, but it added undue stress to the job. As long as all the timing marks line up when you're done, you should be good to go.

Make sure you give that FIPG time to cure before you dump coolant in and run it, have fun. :p

?? Can you post a copy of that?

Had my FSM handy (2007 MY). After reading through it again, yea, not sure why the 45 degree turn is necessary. You have to move it all back to TDC for install. :meh:

From removal.
C4AA172E-1B13-430A-8856-2856ED2AF6BD.jpeg

From install.
2F4AD820-6718-4F3D-969D-FFAA7B0B7965.jpeg

72118D2F-50E0-4786-91EB-B5A90A7FEE2C.jpeg

Probably best to follow the FSM. When I did the job on my '06 ~5 years ago, I did it at TDC and, as soon as I took the belt off, my camshaft pulleys both rolled inwards by about 45 degrees. It was as if the valve train was under pressure at TDC so maybe rolling the motor to 45 degrees BTDC alleviates that issue (pure speculation).

I was able to roll my cam pulleys back to their timing marks while putting the belt back on, but it added undue stress to the job. As long as all the timing marks line up when you're done, you should be good to go.

Make sure you give that FIPG time to cure before you dump coolant in and run it, have fun. :p

Thanks for the clarification, part of mind thinks even being slightly off will destroy my engine so I've been way to weary about doing this. I guess I'll remove the belt at 45 BTDC and install it at TDC tomorrow, hopefully I can get it done in one day.

One thing I ALWAYS do on any timing belt job is remove the spark plugs to prevent any compressing in the cylinders that could make the engine rotate. I learned this the hard way 15 years ago on an old Saab V6. Just good piece of mind...

Had my FSM handy (2007 MY). After reading through it again, yea, not sure why the 45 degree turn is necessary. You have to move it all back to TDC for install. :meh:

From removal.
View attachment 2405000

From install.
View attachment 2405005
View attachment 2405006
I’m about to do my TB and WP job soon and now in the process of one by one getting all the parts and tools I need. I am also looking for an 06 FSM and was wondering where is the best place to get one. Any leads is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Not affiliated, don't know the seller, etc., but ebay was the route I took.

When I was looking, the 4 volume sets for the '06 were consistently more expensive than the 3 volume set printed for the '07. Since the '06 and '07s are identical, I went with the less expensive option. I purchased a used copy of the EWD separately for about $15.

Not affiliated, don't know the seller, etc., but ebay was the route I took.

When I was looking, the 4 volume sets for the '06 were consistently more expensive than the 3 volume set printed for the '07. Since the '06 and '07s are identical, I went with the less expensive option. I purchased a used copy of the EWD separately for about $15.
Thanks I tried your recommendation, sorry not familiar with the term EWD. But wow, for $15 that’s a good deal. The cheapest I found was $80, far from your $15.

I sent a message to the seller and this is what he replied..
E95242D3-5398-4B47-9856-7FD759CBADB1.jpeg

Thanks I tried your recommendation, sorry not familiar with the term EWD. But wow, for $15 that’s a good deal. The cheapest I found was $80, far from your $15.

I sent a message to the seller and this is what he replied..
View attachment 2448953

EWD = Electrical Wiring Diagram. Super helpful for chasing shorts or other wiring issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom