A/C Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It's been a while since the 80 completely stumped me. But here is the issue:

A/C performance has been mediocre most summers here in AZ. But then the compressor started to cut off for no good reason but would mostly come back on when cycling the A/C switch (no overheating issue). Then it died altogether. I tested the clutch and worked fine. Read up on some MUD threads and replaced the pressure switch. Recharged system and all worked superbly for exactly 2 days. But after 2 days all dead again. The weird thing is that by chance I discovered that the clutch will engage and cold air will blow ONLY with the defrost button on but NOT with the any other modes.

Any suggestions??

Take it to a shop and they will put gauges on it - need to know charge level.
AC has a high pressure side so unless you know what your doing it is job for a Technician.
1601242055503.jpeg

I did when it was all dead. Coolant volume/pressure was not the issue. They wanted $160 for further diagnosis and keep it for a few days. Needed vehicle...

Hi, I think the 160 would be well spent. However I could probably tell you in 30 minutes to an hour. If they need days ,go else where. Mike

It's been a while since the 80 completely stumped me. But here is the issue:

A/C performance has been mediocre most summers here in AZ. But then the compressor started to cut off for no good reason but would mostly come back on when cycling the A/C switch (no overheating issue). Then it died altogether. I tested the clutch and worked fine. Read up on some MUD threads and replaced the pressure switch. Recharged system and all worked superbly for exactly 2 days. But after 2 days all dead again. The weird thing is that by chance I discovered that the clutch will engage and cold air will blow ONLY with the defrost button on but NOT with the any other modes.

Any suggestions??
Sounds like a problem in the dash control unit. While it might technically be possible to find the issue and repair it, I'd be looking for a spare. Maybe you have a friend that would let you borrow theirs for testing? Or maybe you can find a used one cheap enough that it wouldn't be a big loss if it didn't fix the problem.

Along with the control unit, there might be some kind of ECU for the A/C that I vaguely remember.

Sounds like a problem in the dash control unit. While it might technically be possible to find the issue and repair it, I'd be looking for a spare. Maybe you have a friend that would let you borrow theirs for testing? Or maybe you can find a used one cheap enough that it wouldn't be a big loss if it didn't fix the problem.

Along with the control unit, there might be some kind of ECU for the A/C that I vaguely remember.

Got a clean one on e-bay an just put it in. All is functional again. Hoping nothing else pops up. Thanks for the suggestion. Definitely a "why didn't I think of that" moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom