PHH - Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am hoping to replace my PHH when I do my rad hoses and a coolant flush next week. I picked up my first 80 a few months back and am not too familiar with the 1fz system. This is what presents itself around the area of the PHH and I haven't looked too much further into what is going on.

My guess is that I am looking at a PHH bypass setup wrapped around the master cylinder, with a cloth braided heater hose of some kind. Can anyone confirm that this is what I have here?

I am looking to replace the PHH so replacing the bypass would be the goal if that is what I have installed, though I haven't seen many writeups on how that is done exactly. I am assuming I will need something along these lines to do the job?

along with a larger diameter hose to protect it better.

Cheers!

20200925_112633.jpg

20200925_112646.jpg

20200925_112754.jpg

Looks to be a PHH bypass. Check to see if that soft hose goes all the way to the engine block.

I am hoping to replace my PHH when I do my rad hoses and a coolant flush next week. I picked up my first 80 a few months back and am not too familiar with the 1fz system. This is what presents itself around the area of the PHH and I haven't looked too much further into what is going on.

My guess is that I am looking at a PHH bypass setup wrapped around the master cylinder, with a cloth braided heater hose of some kind. Can anyone confirm that this is what I have here?

I am looking to replace the PHH so replacing the bypass would be the goal if that is what I have installed, though I haven't seen many writeups on how that is done exactly. I am assuming I will need something along these lines to do the job?

along with a larger diameter hose to protect it better.

Cheers!

View attachment 2445936

View attachment 2445937

View attachment 2445938

Damn i've never seen a radiator hose that looks like a rope before! HAHA - You're right though, apparently someone did the "work around" kit with that brown hose. The kit you posted from witsend is exactly what you have but with a good quality silicone hose. Make sure you get the fancy clamps that witsend offers for them, they're great and easy to work with. Hope it helps, good luck

Damn i've never seen a radiator hose that looks like a rope before! HAHA - You're right though, apparently someone did the "work around" kit with that brown hose. The kit you posted from witsend is exactly what you have but with a good quality silicone hose. Make sure you get the fancy clamps that witsend offers for them, they're great and easy to work with. Hope it helps, good luck

Alright perfect, thanks man. It is a great looking rope aha, that red tape tells me the rope is likely around the hose to protect it, and for a very unique aesthetic of course. Gonna go for the wit's end kit, and other hoses/clamps from them.

The other wrapped piece that goes under it is your ECM cable. Should probably put new heat wrap around it.

Alright perfect, thanks man. It is a great looking rope aha, that red tape tells me the rope is likely around the hose to protect it, and for a very unique aesthetic of course. Gonna go for the wit's end kit, and other hoses/clamps from them.

If your heater control valve is brownish and looks like the original one that came with the cruiser, I strongly recommend changing it too. When they break, it's not pretty.

It does go to the block. Would the recommendation be to replace?

Yeah, you can just replace it with 5/8 heater hose. Since the new clamps look like constant tension clamps the hose underneath the shielding might me silicone hose.

The other wrapped piece that goes under it is your ECM cable. Should probably put new heat wrap around it.
I agree, that engine wiring harness heat insulation looks COOKED. That's a known problem area for damaging the insulation on any wires that come to the EGR tube.

So if it were me, I'd plan on taking a very close look at the condition of the wires underneath that insulation. Then I'd re rap the harness with some high temp insulation.

To prevent this damage from happening again, I'd replace the wiring harness clamp that holds the harness away from the EGR tube.

My guess, your original one is either broken, or completely missing. The top red arrow in photo below shows where the clamp mounts that holds the harness away from the EGR tube.
1601095688184.png

I agree, that engine wiring harness heat insulation looks COOKED. That's a known problem area for damaging the insulation on any wires that come to the EGR tube.

So if it were me, I'd plan on taking a very close look at the condition of the wires underneath that insulation. Then I'd re rap the harness with some high temp insulation.

To prevent this damage from happening again, I'd replace the wiring harness clamp that holds the harness away from the EGR tube.

My guess, your original one is either broken, or completely missing. The top red arrow in photo below shows where the clamp mounts that holds the harness away from the EGR tube.
View attachment 2446526

Thanks for the photo man! That will help when I go to fix the clamp.

It is indeed cooked. There seems to be a few added layers of insulation between the EGR tube and the harness. Next week I'll redo the insulation and reconnect the clamp as well.

The PO did an odd job, but it seems like it was solid enough, and now just need to maintain that. With luck, the wires aren't cooked as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom