Builds The Guzzler - 2009 LX570 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Messing around with prototypes for a tailgate table. This is 3’ by 18” wire shelf.
Still haven’t decided if I want to chain it or get a leg. Or maybe add some standoffs below. Or collapsible shelf brackets.

DDFB92D1-3E98-4C85-92C7-DA99271C0C4D.jpeg

9FBFB20B-3058-421E-A186-A6A707C03FEC.jpeg

76810FEA-FBC0-4914-B696-9D909E332F48.jpeg

D9C6E3F4-81A1-4985-92A9-8FC3684E3340.jpeg

Last edited:
I think there is 1/2” everywhere, the shelf has a 1”+ stiffening around the perimeter, and the hatch bulgeS out into That space.

Want to try tall and skinnies? Selling my set to help fund a transition to 17s

35x10.5” Klever’s next?
Either those or the 275/80r17 MTR that was introduced recently. The kenda is reviewing well, but I think I need a bit more lug.

Big driving weekend. We did a Mt rainier circumnavigation as a side event for going to Mt Adams for some high country backpacking. About 60 miles of unpaved FS roads, mostly in great shape. This rig just catches and passes everything. Probably because they aren’t aired down, but it’s still pretty great. Hiked up Killen Creek to High Camp. It’s five miles and Around 2500 ft elevation gain, ending at 6900 ft. The Gifford Pinchot national forest is huge and has a ton of roads in it to explore. Really enjoyed our quick tour and will definitely be back.

High camp features knockout views of Adam, St Helens, and Rainier.

We hiked up to near the base of the Mt Adams glacier. Amazing. For perspective Mt. Adams is 12200 feet, so still 5000 above this shot.

B2D5778D-05D7-4D50-8BBE-4DE2CD1235E5.jpeg

D5EE615C-5C90-4F47-AC2D-7BE40D7CC2C5.jpeg

8EB16BFD-DBF5-4B5E-BAD4-0494D6604725.jpeg

7E7DBA06-D104-4131-B726-C61F1916BB79.jpeg

Legend has it, Grinchy is still on that mountain.

Seriously though I keep checking back here to make sure my notifications still works because I’m so used to regular updates!

Legend has it, Grinchy is still on that mountain.

Seriously though I keep checking back here to make sure my notifications still works because I’m so used to regular updates!

hahaha... i literally got mad because i had to go to page 5 to find his build thread. I needed to find his setups on the hammock camping...

was smoked in the last two weekends. :oops:

For real?

hahaha... i literally got mad because i had to go to page 5 to find his build thread. I needed to find his setups on the hammock camping...

For real?
Lmao. I had to leave mud altogether and ask google for the location of “The Guzzler Ih8mud”. Unacceptable.

Let’s talk about this! What’s on your mind?

So I Almost bought a used ikamper for $3k, but it was a little more used than I expected. Then, started looking at new ones, but the lead time is 8+ weeks.

Then I figured I'd buy a basic 4-man tent to use in the meantime, but the $200 Kelty I got from REI was an odd size 8'4"x6'9" (I'm 6'2" and could only fit in it sideways). Then, I found a 9'x9' Magellan from academy for $39 😂

It's freaking great! Even if it lasts a few uses, totally worth $40.

Then, I remembered you had posted the pic of 3 hammock setups and looks awesome. Do you guys not have mosquitoes up there?

Hammock tents mean you don't need an expensive camp mat?!

Are they regular hammocks that you put a top on, or is there a kit you would recommend for testing out purposes?

Well there are several options. I have a roll your own with separate straps, mosquito net, tarp, etc. the kids have a all in one, which attaches the hammock to the net and straps. Then you just need a tarp of some sort.

unfortunately there isn’t a way to get away from insulation, hammocks use an underquilt and it costs as much as a nice ground mat.

you can easily fit your length in the right hammock, I think thr rule of thumb is 4 feet more than height. What is cool is you sleep angled across the horizontal, so not like a banana. With some learning and the right kit you’re flat, comfy and warm.

we got lighter weight stuff so we can backpack it, cut prices in half if you don’t care about weight or stuffed size.

sample cost for a solution good to freezing
hammock/straps/net all in one $75 - here's a link to the better of the two I have Amazon product ASIN B07S753W19
underquilt $100
tarp $75
assumes you bring your existing sleeping bag
a boutique solution is $400 + and weight competitive with an ultralight tent for one. Not as light as a tarp only.

ive had good luck with finding stuff at rei gear days and dutchware gear blemished section

Last edited:
Five tire rotation done.
two missing plastic clips in the driver front tire liner. Replaced with extras from the hood area.
Had a very slow leak (1 psi per week). No nails in tire. When I took off the valve cap there was a hiss. Pulled the valve spring, used the little reamer I got with a deflator, and reinstalled. Seemed to screw in better. The little valve caps that have the retainers and extra oring in cap (seal without a spring if necessary) are definitely worth it. Get them from @LandCruiserPhil site.
Have a seep at passenger uca ball joint that will have to be dealt with.

My trasharoo was blocking the rear camera which I had moved onto the swing out in a tire spoke. Moved it onto the top of the tire. Trying out a ratchet strap for now as the fixing device. Just prototyping, if this works will probably make a little platform for it. May decide to move it back under the swing arm too.
May bend it up a bit, can see a fair amount of the tire in view.

2007EE8A-DAF5-41A1-AF8D-8589C8741F6F.jpeg

FBABF875-8BC9-451C-AC5B-B40EFD39C700.jpeg

CCE4F3FE-9951-4F5F-8630-139BA6728409.jpeg

Sad news. Noticed that a stainless bolt got loose and fell out, along with a skid washer! Easy enough to shuffle around the bolts and get another one in there, but the skid washer was $10. Sigh.
I had these all torqued in at 20ftlb

2EECF867-B26C-4A11-8591-A93763F7F6F8.jpeg

GOLD PLATED??
Why yes, yes they are gold. I think it’s just zinc plated though.
Probably a vanity, but I’m not super pumped about trying to get a cauliflowered bolt out. And since I saved $1000 on my AL skid solution over the one with recessed bolt heads. . . Why not? I have heard of a failure mode where the skid washer gets folded over like a taco.
Looks like my original source is out of business. It took a bit to find one big enough for the two large bolts at the rear cross member. Below a link to a source for the 6mm sized ones.

i see now. Fancy bolt protecting washers....

Nice trip over to Third Beach and down to Toleak Point. It’s about 10km in and out, a lazy three hours if you don’t have to wait on tides.
including the ferries it’s a short 4 to 5 hour trip from Seattle.

F2B25DAD-86FF-4006-815E-35024900727F.jpeg

0AD4B42C-5A6D-424A-87E0-ED51C9E33D77.jpeg

3ECFD224-8916-4710-B227-5E5A6F39A751.jpeg

DB4FC12A-CC6A-430A-A580-EE41EEB1CF43.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom