Suburban Vs LC (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The Sequoia easily transports 8 and has the most comfortable third row of any of the big SUV’s. What it doesn’t have is the huge space for luggage, etc that the Suburban or Expedition Max has behind the third row. The Sequoia has the same engine as the LC 200, and has a great 4WD system . The interior js very comfortable but dash and tech is dated in spite of an update in 2018. The radio is double DIN so aftermarket large screen systems with CarPlay, 360 degree cameras, etc are available to update Toyota tech shortcomings. It gets lousy mileage although slightly better than the LC, I guess from part time 4WD. IRS gives the Sequoia a surprising amount of interior room.
If roominess and reliability are the priority, the Sequoia is a great option. I would trust it off-road more than its domestic competitors, and definitely for quality in the long run. Our '09 Sequoia has passed 250k miles with no repairs other than preventative maintenance (radiator, etc). On the double din head unit note, check out the Alpine Halo11, it's a great OEM-looking large screen with Carplay and all the goodies.
1600905342547.png
1600905369731.png

As an alternative, another consideration is the Nissan Armada. It's pretty much a rebadged Y62 Patrol, which is the LC200's direct competitor overseas. In Australia and abroad, you'll see the Patrol on all the same trails as the Land Cruiser, with the same aftermarket community (ARB, OME, Ironman, etc). But, it's more in line with the Sequoia size wise, which is good news for carrying more passengers. Great off-roading capability, good reliability (I believe it's made in Japan, and is more solidly built than their lower quality crossovers and sedans), and fairly roomy. For the money, it's also a great value, with even the highest Platinum Reserve model starting at $65k (which is fairly comparable to the LC200's luxury).

The 2021 model (already available overseas), will have a refreshed exterior and interior. The front end is a little interesting, but I could see it growing on me.
1600905278781.png
1600905293728.png

If roominess and reliability are the priority, the Sequoia is a great option. I would trust it off-road more than its domestic competitors, and definitely for quality in the long run. Our '09 Sequoia has passed 250k miles with no repairs other than preventative maintenance (radiator, etc). On the double din head unit note, check out the Alpine Halo11, it's a great OEM-looking large screen with Carplay and all the goodies.
View attachment 2444283View attachment 2444284

As an alternative, another consideration is the Nissan Armada. It's pretty much a rebadged Y62 Patrol, which is the LC200's direct competitor overseas. In Australia and abroad, you'll see the Patrol on all the same trails as the Land Cruiser, with the same aftermarket community (ARB, OME, Ironman, etc). But, it's more in line with the Sequoia size wise, which is good news for carrying more passengers. Great off-roading capability, good reliability (I believe it's made in Japan, and is more solidly built than their lower quality crossovers and sedans), and fairly roomy. For the money, it's also a great value, with even the highest Platinum Reserve model starting at $65k (which is fairly comparable to the LC200's luxury).

The 2021 model (already available overseas), will have a refreshed exterior and interior. The front end is a little interesting, but I could see it growing on me.
View attachment 2444280View attachment 2444281
Having driven 2 armadas as rentals, I wouldn't waste my money on one. They aren't that big on the inside, same as a 200 I'd say.. Drive isn't to par, I'd take a GM full size over the armada any day

The new 2021 Tahoekonaliburbanslade now has a longer wheelbase and an independent rear suspension. The result is reportedly much better road manners and far better room in the 2nd and 3rd row. The 3rd row is now apparently comfortable for adults. For carting a bunch of people, their luggage, and towing a trailer at the same time, it is hard to beat the Suburban and its fancier equivalents.

Of course, that comes with GM quality control and it isn't something you'll want to take offroad, due to its horrid angles and huge size. But for its intended purpose, it's pretty good.

Unfortunately, GM went for a completely ridiculous push-button shifter for Tahoe and Suburban (and I think the Yukon as well). I effing hate pushbutton shifters with extreme prejudice. That alone would rule it for me, but YMMV.

View attachment 2444283View attachment 2444284

View attachment 2444280View attachment 2444281
For the Armada as it pertains to off roading in the USA, I’m pretty sure you can’t get one with low range.

For the Armada as it pertains to off roading in the USA, I’m pretty sure you can’t get one with low range.
You can't get one in the US with KDSS, which the overseas models have.

Last edited:
Love our Suburban. It’s a 2015, 4wd, 5.3L, 120,000 on the clock. Runs like a sowing machine, silky smooth, quiet and humongous inside. It is really good at what it was designed to do. It has better ride quality, infotainment,AC,roominess, paint quality, fuel range and fuel efficiency than our 200. Up to 120k it’s also been dead nuts reliable and rattle free.

It doesn’t have 200 series off-road prowess, but I’ve taken it out on rough logging roads for work and it gets the job done. It’s also dime a dozen, no uniqueness. End of the world? I’m getting in the 200. Headed to the boonies, 200, all day every day.

I have one of the first AT4 Yukon XLs on order that should arrive in a couple weeks. It’s still far from a 200 off-road, but I think it will blend some qualities of the 200 like 2 speed t-case, intelligent traction control with the eLSD etc mated to the gargantuan size of a suburban.

I have some large commercial UAVs that require serious cargo room and personnel, the 200 is jam packed to handle it. The suburban can take the gear and an audience to go with it.

Love my Land Cruisers but I’m not afraid to give credit where credit is due.

GM is suppose to make a new diesel but owning more than a few GM products Toyota durability even my brand new 3500 GMC Denali pickup quality is not as nice as my Land Cruiser . Only reason I up graded my tundra to GM was able to put 4K in the bed of the SRW truck with no problem .
If Toyota would make a heavy truck for the US market I would own it .
Sorry off topic there a bit , everyone I know who owns or has owned a suburban or Escalade had nothing but problems .
This was my Suburban I built has a custom frame and all 1 ton with a Cummins 6bt
9B8B593D-6F91-4B9E-8D38-EA10D4DA31BA.jpeg

A friend just got a Sierra AT4. That thing looks pretty badass, and has the 6.2L. He's getting 20mpg.

For the OP, does he plan to tow anything? I'd be concerned about the IRS. Expeditions get pretty wobbly at speed while towing, and wobbly if you are hitting high speed. Normal speed, yes, rides very nice, and I was really surprised by the acceleration of the V6.

Didn't feel the same in a Suburban. I'm partial to the Sub, but agree that +150M, it's a different story. Also super partial to a column shifter on sub 2021 models. And confirmed, the Sub has it's own unique frame, while Tahoe is on the K1500 frame. Hence the nice ride on 1/2 ton Suburban. I'd like to have one, but at my <$25k price range, it was all +150K mileage trucks. The AFM also scared me on older trucks. Found a 2010 LX, and happy with it. An 11 year old Suburban or Ford would be giving me trouble.

Also super partial to a column shifter on sub 2021 models.
I prefer a console shifter, but I can live with a column shifter. The fancy new electronic shifters that return to center are a stupid ergonomic mess, but even they are superior to push button shifters.

PRNDL works. These interior designers need to be slapped upside the head.

If I’m hauling 7 people, 2nd row captains chairs are a must. That leaves suburban, expediton el, and the Toyota Sienna. I had a 07 sub that was a money pit. Drank oil like I drink beer. Uncontrollable shaking at stop lights etc etc. thing drove nice but I couldn’t trust it on road trips. Motor was done at 110k miles.
current truck is an Expedition EL. Love the 3.5, second row captains chairs, and it rides nice.

I secretly lust for a 4wd sienna with a modest lift and BFG tires. Loaded up new, they run $40k. Difference between it and a highlander? None.

I prefer a console shifter, but I can live with a column shifter. The fancy new electronic shifters that return to center are a stupid ergonomic mess, but even they are superior to push button shifters.

I like column shifters for mostly nostalgic reasons. Long ago, owned 4 different Panther platform Fords. Big bench in the front, plenty of knee room for the driver. It's an efficient setup so far as space. And just plain cool.

And yeah, gotta agree, our Sedona Minivan probably beats most for efficiency and space. Yeah, it's a minivan..

I like column shifters for mostly nostalgic reasons. Long ago, owned 4 different Panther platform Fords. Big bench in the front, plenty of knee room for the driver. It's an efficient setup so far as space. And just plain cool.

I learned to drive on a '69 Ford Falcon and a '70 Ford station wagon with column shifters. I have zero nostalgia for them, but they work. I strongly object to electronic shifters that return-to-center, because that removes a key physical indicator that you have selected a particular gear -- whether you are in park, or drive, or neutral, or reverse, those return-to-center shifters are all in center. With a column shifter, if you are all the way up, you are in Park. If you are all the way down, you are in either Drive or Low.

From 1976 to 2002 I drove vehicles with manual transmissions, so I guess I'm just used to having the shifter in the center console.

Last edited:

PRNDL works. These interior designers need to be slapped upside the head.

I want to know when it became trendy to simply stick the screen on the dash. What used to be a beautifully integrated screen in some cars looks like an abomination of an afterthought in all new cars. Who wants a ****ing tablet sticking out of the middle of nowhere?

Kudos to Toyota for building the screen within the contours of the dash.

I want to know when it became trendy to simply stick the screen on the dash. What used to be a beautifully integrated screen in some cars looks like an abomination of an afterthought in all new cars. Who wants a f***ing tablet sticking out of the middle of nowhere?

There is an advantage in that the rest of the dash an be lower, resulting in a more airy feeling interior. So the tablet mounted on the dash thing doesn't bother me.

What does bother me is that many manufacturers are eliminating physical buttons and replacing them with touch screens. While I think that a touch screen for infotainment is a good approach, I don't think touch screens (whether with or without haptic feedback) are the correct interface for things like HVAC, seat heaters, etc

I understand why manufacturers are doing this -- one screen is cheaper than 25 buttons. But I think they are hazardous to use while driving.

What's the end game? Looking for a fully capable SUV to haul around 7 people on back woods trails where you will need recovery gear in luxury. LC's are great but not for 7 people. Import a troopy and build it out if that's the goal. If its a luxury SUV that is good in bad weather and a little mud. All vehicles mentioned above would be better for 7 people than a LC. The third row is a joke if you are over 5' tall. It is the worst to crawl in and out. But kids love it! My grandfather had a toyota with the third row. The seats faced towards the rear. You opened the back hatch to get in. No folding seats. It was genius but I think safety laws changed that design. It fit 3 in the front, 3 in the back and 4-5 kids in the very back on a bench seat.

Comfort for 7 in a LC is no. Unless you have a family of clowns... You could probably fit 27 clowns in a LC

So it looks like he is going with the 2017 Suburban. 2020 was too expensive and having too many issues.

I test drove the armada and I didn't think highly of it. The Sequoia my brother did not want but it is on my list although it looks the size of a LC. Although I think the whole point of a Suburban is to be king of the road practically driving a house. I don't think it gets bigger than this. I test drove a Mercedes Sprinter Diesel but at 80mph on the highway there is a huge death rattle. I agree with people that GM's build quality is nowhere near Toyota. I hope Toyota decides to make a monster UTE someday in the Lexus LX line. Offroaders drive LCs, and big suburban types drive a stretched LX.

Even the 2017’s had problems with power windows and oil burning ... it was hit or miss on oil burning ring problems . For a while the ford excursion was the king especially with the 7.3 diesel .
I also like the Sequoia over the Suburban ... had on buddy who leased his suburban said his wife had it back to the dealer over 32 times ... thats crazy .
I own a 2019 GMC 3500 SRW Duramax just because it holds the the weight , I went from my Tundra just because it can’t hold 4K when I needed to haul .

"For the OP, does he plan to tow anything? I'd be concerned about the IRS. Expeditions get pretty wobbly at speed while towing, and wobbly if you are hitting high speed. Normal speed, yes, rides very nice, and I was really surprised by the acceleration of the V6."
------------------------------------------------------------
I own a 2020 Expy FX4, and just completed a few round trips, towing (2-3Klbs +/-) while fully loaded (800-900 pounds in truck), over 7,000 miles (4,300 of those miles both loaded and towing) through mountainous, windy terrain at 80-90mph (speed limit 80) and short bursts up to the speed governer. Never felt the least bit wobbly even passing 18 wheelers while still knocking out 14mpg with the A/C on.

I would prefer a solid axle, but never once did the IRS make me feel loose.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom