Space needed for knuckle job? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally ready to tear into the knuckles. I want to pull the shafts. I’m working in a fairly narrow carport. Anyone know much space is needed to pull the long side shafts?? From a search... Looks like the long shaft is 31” ... needed to know total length

Here is a pic of me doing my knuckles just recently. My air compressor that you can see in the photo is 32" from the brake disc surface. I had to move it. The wall is 53" from that same brake rotor surface and I had room to spare. Hope that helps.

50028691473_d0c81c8e76_h.jpg

I thought a car port didn't have side walls? But anyway, I've done my job in 1/2 of a narrow garage. I would park as close to the wall as possible and don the "inside side". Then I would turn the car around and do the other side. I wouldn't refill the differential with oil, but with the transfer case in 2wd and the hubs unlocked, the diff won't really turn as you are rotating the truck in the garage.

Here is a pic of me doing my knuckles just recently. My air compressor that you can see in the photo is 32" from the brake disc surface. I had to move it. The wall is 53" from that same brake rotor surface and I had room to spare. Hope that helps.

Somehow I thought a knuckle job was a little less involved ;)

I did mine in a tiny uneven driveway.

Also, the instructions from @cruiseroutfit are amazing.

When you do an axle rebuild and you end up with no drivetrain... That's Mud OCD if I've ever seen it!

This is the best "while I am in there" example I have seen! Knuckle job gone extreme

Started tear down ... not too hard at all ... we’ll see how it goes back together 🤪

Cleanup looks like the worst part 🤯

image.jpg

Last edited:
Concur that the mess is the worst part of this job. Also, go nice and easy when re installing the drivers side driveshaft. It’s long and it takes a couple tries to get it to mate into the spline. Easy does it so you don’t accidentally damage the nice new seal you just installed. Did mine a few weeks ago and it’s a very gratifying job once completed.

cheers, James

Thanks for the tip DrRock.

I’ve got the third members out also.. gonna do a flippy flop, front to rear. Also doing a full brake job and and SS brake hoses.

I’m having trouble with some frozen brake line fittings. Any tips?

Dreading cleanup 🥵

14 inches between trucks....but I was able to roll the other one forward to get the axle shaft out.

4D45CE10-72A5-4A97-9625-2EC893C6156C.jpeg
A06C664F-FEAD-4E08-8F32-B9F056099E31.jpeg

My brake hard lines were so corroded I had to have @Rainman make me a new set.

Hi, The more room the better, in case something falls I want out of the way quick. Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom