Help with missing parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Fellow owners, I’m hunting down the pin that goes from the FD lever to the FD pull switch for a ‘67 fj45 LPB. I’m also missing the heater cable bracket that mounts to the left of the heater core box.

I once had a early ‘70’s fj40 with the vacuum FD system, it did not use the lever. Is the lever actually needed on the 45? I would like for this truck to function with the lever. The lever is a very cool piece! Just how does this work?

Thanks for all input in advance.

Dan

When the lever is all the way against the dash, the transfer case is in high gear and the front drive is not engaged, so 2 wheel high drive. If you pull the FD knob with the lever still in that position, the vacuum system engages the front drive and you are in 4 wheel high. When the lever is pulled to the first detent, the transfer case is put into neutral, so you can’t move. Pulling the lever fully to the last position pulls out the FD knob (if not already pulled out) so the front drive is engaged, and shifts the transfer case into low gear, so 4 wheel low. It’s best to have the transmission in neutral (but not necessary) but it is necessary to have the clutch disengaged to prevent grinding. I’ll shift into 4 high while moving, but without accelerator, and always stop to shift into 4 low. And generally only have the front drive engaged when road conditions allow for wheel slippage, front to rear. Some folks eliminate that pin your missing so they can shift into low gear (transfer case) but not have the front drive engaged, or 2 wheel low. An issue with that is the increased load only on the rear differential and drive train.

Last edited:
Fellow owners, I’m hunting down the pin that goes from the FD lever to the FD pull switch for a ‘67 fj45 LPB. I’m also missing the heater cable bracket that mounts to the left of the heater core box.

I once had a early ‘70’s fj40 with the vacuum FD system, it did not use the lever. Is the lever actually needed on the 45? I would like for this truck to function with the lever. The lever is a very cool piece! Just how does this work?

Thanks for all input in advance.

Dan
My bad. My old 40 did have a lever, under the dash though.

When the lever is all the way against the dash, the transfer case is in high gear and the front drive is not engaged, so 2 wheel high drive. If you pull the FD knob with the lever still in that position, the vacuum system engages the front drive and you are in 4 wheel high. When the lever is pulled to the first detent, the transfer case is put into neutral, so you can’t move. Pulling the lever fully to the last position pulls out the FD knob (if not already pulled out) so the front drive is engaged, abd shifts the transfer case into low gear, so 4 wheel low. It’s best to have the transmission in neutral (but not necessary) but it is necessary to have the clutch disengaged to prevent grinding. I’ll shift into 4 high while moving, but without accelerator, and always stop to shift into 4 low. And generally only have the front drive engaged when road conditions allow for wheel slippage, front to rear. Some folks eliminate that pin your missing so they can shift into low gear (transfer case) but not have the front drive engaged, or 2 wheel low. An issue with that is the increased load only on the rear differential and drive train.
thanks. This helps me understand.

I just ran across one of those pins on Thurs or Friday at the shop. But I don’t remember where!

Call me if you’re still looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom