'79 Alternator to Battery Wiring question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought a '79 40 with some badly modified wiring (yeah, its the one with all the wire nuts), attempting to return it to stock, make it run. The schematic shows a white with blue stripe wire running to the battery +post from either an external VR or directly from the alternator if equipped with internal VR. In between there is a fusible link and ammeter in parallel. My question - on a stock '79 would I actually see this wire attached to the positive terminal of the battery? How is it attached - clamped, ring terminal, or other? What does the battery terminal end of the factory cable look like? Any photos would be appreciated. Where would the fusible link be found?

I'm also trying to figure out if my alternator is stock and if it is internally regulated. Its a Nippon Denso I believe and appears to have the factory connections. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

DSCN1973.JPG

There should be a 10ga White/Blue wire coming out of the main engine harness on the passenger side near the battery. This should have a MALE 7.9mm connector on the end. The fusible link female connector plugs into that connector. Then there is a 10" long 10ga white wire that plugs into the male end of the fusible link connector and terminates with a ring terminal that attaches to the positive battery terminal clamp.
IMG_3242.jpg
IMG_3244.jpg

The black two pin connector plugs into a mating two pin connector that goes to a small black box with two 5 amps fuses in it. Those fuses protect the Amp Meter.
Ammeterfuses2.jpg

Need the model number off that alternator to know if it is internally regulated. It does not look like. Do you have a voltage regulator on the passenger side firewall? See pic below, it's circled in black.

1f_3.jpg

Bought a '79 40 with some badly modified wiring (yeah, its the one with all the wire nuts), attempting to return it to stock, make it run. The schematic shows a white with blue stripe wire running to the battery +post from either an external VR or directly from the alternator if equipped with internal VR. In between there is a fusible link and ammeter in parallel. My question - on a stock '79 would I actually see this wire attached to the positive terminal of the battery? How is it attached - clamped, ring terminal, or other? What does the battery terminal end of the factory cable look like? Any photos would be appreciated. Where would the fusible link be found?

I'm also trying to figure out if my alternator is stock and if it is internally regulated. Its a Nippon Denso I believe and appears to have the factory connections. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

View attachment 2442652

you have a Externally Regulator NON-IC type alternator installed

View attachment 2442652

does your green nippondenso foil tag say : 27020-61100

or

27020-61022

or

27020-61012
?

Thank guys for the responses. Coolerman, so far I am unable to find the 10ga White/Blue wire coming out of the main engine harness near the battery or the male 7.9mm connector. Apparently the connector was removed along with the fusible link and stock battery cable, see photos below. The wire must be in the harness, it should be easy to spot at that size. Looks like I have to open the split loom to find it. Certainly I have to install fresh battery cables with a 10 ga secondary wire coming off the positive terminal lug. Then install a fusible link and make the connection. Are those parts available, is it possible to restore the factory plugs?

The black box with the ammeter fuses is there but I don't see the small black connector, the wires come out of the harness to the box and downstream run back into the harness at some type of junction. Some of the wires from that junction have been cut. Yes, I do have a regulator mounted in the location you're showing so it appears I'm externally regulated as ToyotaMatt says. Its depressing seeing such a nice clean engine compartment after looking at mine. The tag on the alternator is worn but the number reads 27020-61013 as best I can tell. Rig was built 12/78. Allow me to try and clean up some of the mystery wiring in that area, the ones I'm confident are not stock. Then report back once I have power back to the harness from the battery. I see from the schematic this not only allows charging of the battery but appears to feed everything else on the 'always hot' section of the fuse box. Probably why the lights and horn don't work. I'm sure that's obvious to many but I'm just learning, none of my past Cruisers had electrical problems like this.

DSCN2013.JPG
DSCN2015.JPG

Thank guys for the responses. Coolerman, so far I am unable to find the 10ga White/Blue wire coming out of the main engine harness near the battery or the male 7.9mm connector. Apparently the connector was removed along with the fusible link and stock battery cable, see photos below. The wire must be in the harness, it should be easy to spot at that size. Looks like I have to open the split loom to find it. Certainly I have to install fresh battery cables with a 10 ga secondary wire coming off the positive terminal lug. Then install a fusible link and make the connection. Are those parts available, is it possible to restore the factory plugs?

The black box with the ammeter fuses is there but I don't see the small black connector, the wires come out of the harness to the box and downstream run back into the harness at some type of junction. Some of the wires from that junction have been cut. Yes, I do have a regulator mounted in the location you're showing so it appears I'm externally regulated as ToyotaMatt says. Its depressing seeing such a nice clean engine compartment after looking at mine. The tag on the alternator is worn but the number reads 27020-61013 as best I can tell. Rig was built 12/78. Allow me to try and clean up some of the mystery wiring in that area, the ones I'm confident are not stock. Then report back once I have power back to the harness from the battery. I see from the schematic this not only allows charging of the battery but appears to feed everything else on the 'always hot' section of the fuse box. Probably why the lights and horn don't work. I'm sure that's obvious to many but I'm just learning, none of my past Cruisers had electrical problems like this.

View attachment 2443579View attachment 2443580

You Need a New voltage regulator NOW you have several several wires at it ?

this is NOT cool in any way

please use the below link , its the correct one , i WILL have it shipped out today !

this is a solid step in the right direction

matt

see link above :

Coolerman : I have an extremely similar issue with my ‘76 FED version. I’m tracing wires as well/also currently addressing alternator. I’ll have some questions, first: on your 1976 Fj40 schematics webpage with the links to all the photos ... which photo(s) is the alternator wiring?
(Can I message you?) - (not trying to hijack to add false notifications for original poster)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom