SOLD 1961 FJ40 Rattle Can Rebuild "Jack's Truck" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

navydivedoc

SILVER Star
Threads
Back up for sale again. $14,500

I've decided to sell "Jack's truck". I figured I would put an ad down here as well for those who don't venture out into the 40 forum.

For the purists, I'll apologize upfront if I got anything wrong. Happy to edit.

If you've been down here awhile I'm sure you followed along with Jack's build. I made my own over on the 40 forum with the more recent details. I'd like to find this truck a good home, so any of you fine collectors have head of the line privileges. Thanks.

i-gBXtDdZ-L.jpg

1961 (first year import) Factory Hard Top FJ40. Almost Freeborn Red (see below).
- Arizona truck resurrected by @JackA and documented in The Rattle Can Rebuild thread. Extensive documentation and pics there of the original condition of the truck and Jack's work to bring it back. As the name suggests, yes it is Rustoleum Regal red painted.
- I picked up the truck from Jack last spring. I had it shipped to Virginia for a few months where @matzell did some good work on it to bring it to the finish line. I retired from the Navy in July, and the truck was shipped north to Maine for the summer and then down here to New Hampshire where it sits in my garage. Lots of description of the additional work done as well as a lot of pics of the truck in various places around Acadia national park. The Little Red Lobster

Why sell? - Simple, I found my long desired FJ45. Completely done. For now, there can be only one so this truck and my 67 patina rig go.

i-vdgkdRT-L.jpg

$14,500 as the truck sits, as below. Other upgrade parts possible for $
- 1961 FJ40 - First year, under 300 imported by my Mud research
- Factory Hard top model. I do not have a hard top
- Besttop soft top is included. Grey, great condition, split soft doors. Just ugly
- 1985 2F motor. New water pump, alternator rebuild, FJ60 distributor, full reseal, new oil pan. Belts, hoses, etc. 150+ on compression testing, good motor.
- Motor is dressed as an F - Air cleaner, carb, intake, exhaust. Old style thermostat housing. Old style oil filter bracket without cooler. Simple.
- Complete new exhaust from down pipe back
- Just rebuilt 1972 F carb by @65swb45 (July 2020)
- 3 speed with floor shift. New clutch, pressure plate, flywheel resurfaced. New cylinders MC and slave by Jack.. Resealed.
- 3 speed t-case with floor shift. Resealed.
- Original axles (centered rear)
- Later model 3 speed driveshafts with new U-joints
- New brake cylinders and shoes all around
- New brake MC. Soft lines
- Knuckle job by JackA before I got it
- New shocks
-new suspension bushings
- 5 new Maxxis Bighorn 30x9.5 MTs with ~400 miles
- OEM welded/disc toyota wheels.

i-ngwxsRZ-L.jpg

i-DvTbqS9-L.jpg

i-KMTNShn-L.jpg

i-dv5CmLd-L.jpg

i-b9gNhJ4-L.jpg

i-VqDcsnV-L.jpg

Negatives/needs -
- She was called the rattle can rebuild, and is a 10 footer. A good 10 footer, but not perfect. Like the middle aged former cheerleader who's taken care of herself, really fun to ride but if you get too close she isn't quite what she once was. There are a couple of tiny bubbles on the rear sill. A few runs here and there, etc. She's a driver.
- Windshield wipers not wired. I have the harness for that. I've been lazy, and she only sees sunny days.
- Horn doesn't work. Contact in the button missing, unobtainium or nearly so.
- Besttop included. Ugly, intact, works.
i-Z7jfDV2-S.jpg

Posting before I change my mind (again) ;):cheers:

Last edited:
Reserved for more Pics. Close ups to come, just needed to get the ad up before I changed my mind.

I'd say there's always room for one more, but that's what I'm trying to avoid! More pics and chatter on the other ad thread.

Including this post, showing just how much I really want to sell this rig.

So we still have time to work on you, eh?

Haven't changed my mind yet.
Yet apparently is the operative word.

Sitting here on a Monday morning. Debating whether I should drop the price on the Lobster. Move it along, "one and done", simplify. Sensible answer, no doubt. Then that little voice whispers "she's so close, finish the job". Install the Sniper, a few tweaks here and there. "You can make room for the 45 and this one" says the devil sitting on my shoulder. I make the mistake of eyeballing the @wngrog Patina thread and start wondering how a white FST would look on the Lobster. :hmm:
20200608_151600-S.jpg
Patina%20White%20top-S.jpg

In all seriousness, if anyone down here in the land of the really old trucks and the detail obsessions is interested, make me an offer. I care more about the truck going to a good home and the story continuing than I do anything else.

It would look like this!!’View attachment 2442355
So, after a few days of mulling things over, which followed a few weeks before that when I really thought I was sure, I'm going to keep the truck. @whitey45 I think it was you who pushed me back from the edge. Everything I said about not needing so many trucks, freeing up space, etc is still true. But there is no logic here. In the end, I thought I would regret it, and there aren't a lot out there.

She'll be warm inside over the winter, away from here, where she'll undergo the knife. I am still serious about having finished trucks (as finished as these ever are). Disc front axle, new TRE, Holley sniper. And yes, the white FST.

Anyone have a set of FST doors for the lobster?

Last edited:
To once again contradict my previous post, this 61 is back up for sale. With both a 1965 FJ45 SWB and a 1969 FJ55 inbound, something has to give. Price reduced to move it along quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom