did someone take a divot out of my driveshaft? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

37305-35020 is for the rear driveshaft.

dan, help me here please.

3701 is propeller shaft and universal joint.
so i got to the fiche diagram. it shows these two diagrams.
you are saying one diagram is front and one is rear?
and then there is a type 1 front and a type 2 front and a type 1 rear and a type 2 rear?

1EE40986-D975-41BB-960E-6ED9DEE681EE.png

983D826C-1EE2-43E4-A3BA-18B92EC00214.jpeg

85C184F2-B553-4F43-A7BF-7C6C44F7F9A0.jpeg

This will depend on who you believe. Toyodiy lists it like this:
View attachment 2440626

Reading between the lines (since I do not have access to a real catalog I trust), something I honed over 37 years of doing it every day, a yoke with a type 1 contour will use a 37305-35020 and a yoke with a type 2 contour will use a 37305-36020 up to December 1994 and a 37305-60020 from January 1995-up.

THANK YOU dan. i seem to be simultaneously posting. so is one diagram front and one diagram is rear in the fiche then? i mean the two boxes in 3701 diagram are front and rear? and the type 1 and type 2 applies to both front and rear?

dan, help me here please.

3701 is propeller shaft and universal joint.
so i got to the fiche diagram. it shows these two diagrams.
you are saying one diagram is front and one is rear?
and then there is a type 1 front and a type 2 front and a type 1 rear and a type 2 rear?

View attachment 2440634

View attachment 2440635

View attachment 2440636
37-01 is a reference to a section of the catalog.

The type 1, type 2 notation is deceiving as the text from these pirate catalogs is incomplete.

The yokes appear to fit both shafts but have two different profiles.

This will depend on who you believe. Toyodiy lists it like this:
View attachment 2440626

Reading between the lines (since I do not have access to a real catalog I trust), something I honed over 37 years of doing it every day, a yoke with a type 1 contour will use a 37305-35020 and a yoke with a type 2 contour will use a 37305-36020 up to December 1994 and a 37305-60020 from January 1995-up.

holy moly. so there are three dust covers and three different propeller shafts?

3 possible covers for 2 possible yoke contours. One contour having split production dates.

This is why professional parts people existed before internet whores killed them off.

37-01 is a reference to a section of the catalog.

The type 1, type 2 notation is deceiving as the text from these pirate catalogs is incomplete.

The yokes appear to fit both shafts but have two different profiles.

OK. sorry for this i am just trying to get my head around it.

what are the two different diagrams showing in 3701? front and rear shafts?

also, i thought the FSM was saying there are two types of shafts.

but you are saying the one in the parts list that doesn’t say anything is for january 1995+?

Yes, front and rear shafts. The front shaft PNC is 37140 and the rear shaft PNC is 37110.

Last edited:
3 possible covers for 2 possible yoke contours. One contour having split production dates.

This is why professional parts people existed before internet whores killed them off.

holy **** that is confusing.

so in jan 1995 they decided that shaft type 2 needed a different dust cover is what you are saying? i mean am i tracking this properly?

Screenshot_2020-09-19 37-01 PROPELLER SHAFT UNIVERSAL JOINT diagram, 1995 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER(3).png
Screenshot_2020-09-19 37-01 PROPELLER SHAFT UNIVERSAL JOINT diagram, 1995 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER(4).png

holy f*** that is confusing.

so in jan 1995 they decided that shaft type 2 needed a different dust cover is what you are saying? i mean am i tracking this properly?

Yes.

so FRONT shaft is 37140-60340? and it is the smooth one here?
rear shaft is 37110-60460 (or 37110-60520 which is “W(*66)” whatever that means) which is the sort of bulbous one here?

then there are two type yokes with early type 1 rounded face and late type 2 has a flat face?

and same for the dust covers?

but the dust cover for jan 95+ is 37305-60020?

2148C74F-C42B-481B-B135-6281F6116671.jpeg

5601B886-B37B-4E5D-87CE-3B79A27DA595.jpeg

220822CC-2FF5-49F8-846D-90C7B4CD9905.jpeg

thanks man.
i still don’t understand what splines into what but obviously i can see the flanges and the ujoints and the bolts.
so this photo looks like it is the front driveshaft and it is going from the transmission to the center differential i guess.
am i undoing the four (?) bolts here in green? or i guess there is also an output mount or something at the transmission?
and can i reuse these nuts and the bolts?
and you want me to try to shift the dust cover up toward the - er - toward the back of the vehicle? to see if i have room for when the - well the driveshaft will compress under suspension travel or what exactly?
THANKS

View attachment 2440501

The front driveshaft goes from your transfer case to your front differential. The four bolts you highlighted in green are where you'll disconnect it first, pry the flanges apart so the driveshaft is free at that one end (which will also compress the spline and show you where that happens). After it's off, you should be able to move it fairly easily by hand. It will be somewhat stiff, but move mostly smoothly once you overcome the initial friction/stickiness.

Yes, you can reuse the bolts to put it back on.

The front driveshaft goes from your transfer case to your front differential. The four bolts you highlighted in green are where you'll disconnect it first, pry the flanges apart so the driveshaft is free at that one end (which will also compress the spline and show you where that happens). After it's off, you should be able to move it fairly easily by hand. It will be somewhat stiff, but move mostly smoothly once you overcome the initial friction/stickiness.

You can also pull out the zerk fitting to allow for smoother operation. The shaft can be pressurized and give the appearance there is binding. When I grease my shafts, I apply grease at all zerks and then remove the zerk on the slip joint to allow extra air out.

See post #25
THANKS dan. posting this info again here in case anyone comes along later i guess. so it looks like i need 37305-60020.
i guess they must have had a reason to change the yokes and sleeves. but also the new sleeve for 95 must have had a reason as well i suppose?

89306350-2D1B-4D6F-A519-21B71C01C4E6.png

thanks man. it’s slow going here on this stuff so apologies for the multiple questions.
can you help me with this diagram so i can get oriented? it is a confusing diagram since i am not sure which direction is front of vehicle or how the top relates to the bottom.

A6F3205E-FCCA-4B1E-8EC7-B3BD7254AD6B.jpeg

You can also pull out the zerk fitting to allow for smoother operation. The shaft can be pressurized and give the appearance there is binding. When I grease my shafts, I apply grease at all zerks and then remove the zerk on the slip joint to allow extra air out.
i see. so i should remove the - well i guess it is half the spider or something at the front differential? and i want to rotate the dust cover relative to the yoke to see if it rotated properly?
and after you grease you remove the zirk from the yoke to make sure the grease is not causing binding?
also are you using “slip joint” for “dust cover” or i guess instead of “yoke”?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom