Show me your dash (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m trying to figure out where the best placement of a radio would be in the dash of my ‘66. I have a ton of holes in my dash, not sure what all is factory and what is ‘custom’ from PO’s. Aside from getting a new headlight switch, installing a radio, and putting in the Vintage Air AC controls, I’d like to fill in the rest of the holes and smooth it out. What have you all done to clean up your dash?

3A79D68D-CA41-45AD-9700-7C5B30D61CC1.jpeg

I'd go with one of the hidden radios and probably tuck it away in the glove box.
On my 72 i hung mine in the glove box. Cutting the dash seems pretty extreme.

In the gun box (never put gloves in there, have put guns in there) sounds like a good option, but the Vintage Air ECU is already going in there, as well as likely the Painless Wiring fuse box. Don't think I'll have room for a radio as well. As the Vintage Air unit will take up the space under the dash, won't be able to build an enclosure like @OPMACHINE did.

there is a thread on here that shows different dashes
dash reference, maybe?

Thanks, when you search the forum for just "dash" you get 50 pages of results.

I wish my dash didn’t have stereo cut into it from the PO. I love the all metal corrugated dash like yours. Put it in a Tuffy center console. I find music is sort of a joke in my 40 anyway so I removed it for now. Good luck with you decision.

I would really like to avoid cutting the dash too. If nothing else I'd like to plug all the extra holes that are already in it. At the same time, this clearly isn't a restoration with a Cummins and the VA unit going in. I will look into the center console option as a way to get some extra stuff put in there.

I wish my dash didn’t have stereo cut into it from the PO. I love the all metal corrugated dash like yours. Put it in a Tuffy center console. I find music is sort of a joke in my 40 anyway so I removed it for now. Good luck with you decision.

View attachment 2440248

What is the width of that console you have? Happy with the fit? Would you go wider/narrower?

FWIW I would luv to have that dash, patina and all, I wouldn't touch it other than to put the various missing controls back in, radios are done, get the little box off amazon that does satellite and blue tooth, connects to phone, works everywhere, fits in glove box and you run the outputs to amp as usual, cleans everything up,unlimited music, and theres an app that turns your phone into a p/a system with your speakers.

If you don't want it in glove box or that has your amp in it like mine then I offer that the ash tray comes out easy and behind it is a great place to stash the box.
I don't think I'll have space to put anything in the dash, behind the unneeded ash try may be a good location,

Not sure if you have checked this, but try to measure the distance from the dash to firewall where you are considering putting it. I think you will find that almost all radios are too deep for the fj40 dash...

Are you looking for a CD player or just something to run Bluetooth from a phone? In one of my other vehicles I have a JL audio Bluetooth thing that hooks to a small amp that runs the speakers; everything is done Bluetooth from the phone. You can hide it wherever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom