north star series 31 battery tie down hack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i might make a part for this or if anyone knows of anything off the shelf that i could try i’d be up for trying it. i suppose something like 1/2” of some kind of Z channel might work.
as it sits i took a round file and continued the hole at the left side of the battery housing. then added a rubber grommet which holds the hooked end of the threaded rod tie in there so you don’t worry about it falling out. on the right side i added a grommet which kind of helps for the same reason.
the adapter was fabricated out of a heavy duty picture hangar but again i might try to make or find something better. the gauge is a little thin. ideally something with a threaded hole would alleviate the need for an extra nut.

C220EFF3-C59D-4ADC-B858-C4E2E038804B.jpeg

9B484BEB-A5EE-43F6-AADC-8C1B44DA8F17.jpeg

B1443C81-AB0D-48B1-9198-A70460F81141.jpeg

085A169A-3F59-4068-83F1-18ACCD22A42C.jpeg

3A212A95-9B05-422B-8B74-836BA7CD0A32.jpeg

I would consider land Cruiser Phil's battery hold down and fusible link relocator. Here's my group 31 with his set up.
1600357738557.png

Group 31 installed

1600361599644.png

Problem with the factory set up. When the hole in the side of the box tear the bracket becomes loose and makes contact with the + & -. Our bracket rods comes from the bottom of the box and no tearing.

1600361763757.png

I would consider land Cruiser Phil's battery hold down and fusible link relocator. Here's my group 31 with his set up.View attachment 2438271
so, $38 and it mounts back side of the metal tray to front side of the metal tray at the bottom?
what is the wire with the two ring terminals for?

Yes, if the stock mount comes lose it Can short out on the battery post, ( LCP first picture) The way you have the Fusible link pulled up into the battery box has the wire's pulled to tight and pulled to the side where they are mounted to the battery terminal. The wire with the two terminals rings let you move the fusible links back out side the box and relieves all tension on them. ;)

so, $38 and it mounts back side of the metal tray to front side of the metal tray at the bottom?
what is the wire with the two ring terminals for?

Nice thinking out of the box just keep a close eye on the bracket.
Yes but the bottom tray is not metal.

@Broski above is 100% spot on with the jumper Thank you.

Nice thinking out of the box just keep a close eye on the bracket.
Yes but the bottom tray is not metal.

@Broski above is 100% spot on with the jumper Thank you.

OK. thanks to @Broski and LCP here.
i half think i ended up pulling out the harness at the starter (well the guy that did the install may have done this) when we were at the shop trying to get the harness to reach and subsequently had starting problems when i put this battery in. we had to cut a zip tie and probably busted a connector i think. i started to wonder if the connector at the starter was a tad loose. anyway i digress.

so help me here please because my brain is mush at the end of the week. the RED wire is the one at the top here? and the black arrow at the bottom is showing a second battery or accessories?
i mean what you are saying is you completely removed the FUSIBLE LINK, pulled it out from the battery tray back out through the hole, then ran an "extender wire" from the POS pole to some secure location outside of the battery? or you just got it clear of the battery box and hooked the fusible link up? and you don't like this business i have here at the fusible link because it is too tight but also sort of sloppy i guess?

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 6.14.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 6.20.00 PM.png

i half think i ended up pulling out the harness at the starter (well the guy that did the install may have done this) when we were at the shop trying to get the harness to reach and subsequently had starting problems when i put this battery in. we had to cut a zip tie and probably busted a connector i think. i started to wonder if the connector at the starter was a tad loose. anyway i digress.

so help me here please because my brain is mush at the end of the week. the RED wire is the one at the top here? and the black arrow at the bottom is showing a second battery or accessories?
i mean what you are saying is you completely removed the FUSIBLE LINK, pulled it out from the battery tray back out through the hole, then ran an "extender wire" from the POS pole to some secure location outside of the battery? or you just got it clear of the battery box and hooked the fusible link up? and you don't like this business i have here at the fusible link because it is too tight but also sort of sloppy i guess?

View attachment 2439536

View attachment 2439537
1600471655178.png

The picture above is exactly why I use the relocate. A couple rebends and possible breakage.

1600471624850.png

View attachment 2439547
The picture above is exactly why I use the relocate. A couple rebends and possible breakage.

View attachment 2439545
trying to make sure i understand this.
so you have a wire coming off the POS that gets bolted with two washers to either side of the battery box? then the fusible link hangs off of that?
is that some kind of setup for dual batteries on the lower left?

BC7F982E-02BE-4563-8472-C81711632E16.png

trying to make sure i understand this.
so you have a wire coming off the POS that gets bolted with two washers to either side of the battery box? then the fusible link hangs off of that?
is that some kind of setup for dual batteries on the lower left?

View attachment 2439903

Yes you are correct.
The breaker on the lower left does feed another battery in the rear.

View attachment 2439536

View attachment 2439537
yes yes and yes, the cable in the lower part of the picture go's to my winch, The jumper cable bolts to the battery box and feeds the fuseable links. You want to mount it in the same vicinity that LCP & mine are mounted.

@Broski, and @LandCruiserPhil:
I think the offset/angle that Broski put on his bracket across the top is a genius mod to a genius mod. When I installed my LCPhil bracket, it seemed to me that the front bracket was supposed to go into a sloped part of the battery box, which I found a little difficult to locate the best spot to drill into.
With your mod to LCPhil's bracket, Broski, does the length of the bracket as supplied by Phil still end up working out? In other words, the total length ends up being correct? If so, LCPhil, I think that is a design improvement you might want to consider incorporating moving forward. I'm very happy with how my install worked out, but that looks just a bit better, IMHO. Just my two cents.
I'm grateful to those who keep innovating and sharing solutions on these old trucks.
Cheers.

@Broski, and @LandCruiserPhil:
I think the offset/angle that Broski put on his bracket across the top is a genius mod to a genius mod. When I installed my LCPhil bracket, it seemed to me that the front bracket was supposed to go into a sloped part of the battery box, which I found a little difficult to locate the best spot to drill into.
With your mod to LCPhil's bracket, Broski, does the length of the bracket as supplied by Phil still end up working out? In other words, the total length ends up being correct? If so, LCPhil, I think that is a design improvement you might want to consider incorporating moving forward. I'm very happy with how my install worked out, but that looks just a bit better, IMHO. Just my two cents.
I'm grateful to those who keep innovating and sharing solutions on these old trucks.
Cheers.
I tend to over think things, and it's a big battery, I wanted the hold down to be as strong as it cold be. By off setting the bracket it fits my particular battery better and allowed it to go into the sloped part of the box as you call it. I welded a piece of metal to the bottom of the Jay hook that fits that space, so you would have to pull about a quarter size piece of metal through the bottom of the box for it to come lose. on the other side I welded a small piece of angle iron to the Jay hook, It grabs the back side of the box. The way I have it set up the jay hooks were to long so I cut them down for a cleaner look.
There nothing wrong with the LCP bracket, the design allows it to fit most all battery's
I wanted the simplicity of one battery so I got the biggest baddest Battery I could fit. It weighs 70 lb and I wanted to stay put.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom